Brady's Landing - 8505 Cypress St.

I used to work at Newpark shipyard operating tower cranes and then later on at Bludworth Bond shipyard when they first built Shanghai Reds and then later Brady's Landing. They were cool places to take out of town guests, you could watch the ships turning around and head back down the ship channel.  Both shipyards would use them for christening parties of new builds of boat and barges. Shanghai Reds went out of business years ago cause they couldn't get an occupancy permit since it needed a lot of work to get back in shape. Tore it down and only Brady's Landing remained, I think it too shut down about 5-7 years ago. I used Brady's Landing for a Bike Tag a couple years ago although it was closed at the time.

Demo permit for Brady's Landing.

pWls8J9.png

CYdyZcv.png

kTNh3Rx.jpg

XQU9ePl.jpg

Took a pic of the my 1st Generation iPod as a car transport ship was turning around.

FYEIvIr.jpg

Kirby boat getting work done in the dry dock.

Wi6oLp3.jpg

cmxz8Ld.jpg

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, hindesky said:

I used to work at Newark shipyard operating tower cranes and then later on at Bludworth Bond shipyard when they first built Shanghai Reds and then later Brady's Landing. They were cool places to take out of town guests, you could watch the ships turning around and head back down the ship channel.  Both shipyards would use them for christening parties of new builds of boat and barges. Shanghai Reds went out of business years ago cause they couldn't get an occupancy permit since it needed a lot of work to get back in shape. Tore it down and only Brady's Landing remained, I think it too shut down about 5-7 years ago. I used Brady's Landing for a Bike Tag a couple years ago although it was closed at the time.

CYdyZcv.png

XQU9ePl.jpg

You've been operating cranes for nearly 40 years? For some reason, I thought you were younger than that, especially given your bike rides.

The first time I ate at Brady's Landing was in 1984. I can't remember if I ever ate at Shanghai Red's.

7 minutes ago, Ross said:

You've been operating cranes for nearly 40 years?

I only operated tower cranes for about 20 years, I switched to working in the refineries and chem plants operating RT cranes because the pay was a lot better.

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

Brady Island where Brandy's Landing and Shanghai Reds restaurants were before they were both demolished. The whole island is now Southwest Shipyard Brady Island and Brady East on Broadway St. which used to owned by Bludworth Bond Shipyards before they sold out to Southwest. Both Mr Bludworth and Mr Bond were getting pretty old and just decided to retire.

Southwest Shipyards started and is still in operation at their original Channelview site on San Jacinto River by IH 10 East. They also bought the old Todd Shipyard on Pelican Island in Galveston.

http://www.swslp.com

lzFhsvz.jpg

n5es4U8.jpg

akJZY3y.jpg

On 8/6/2022 at 9:40 PM, hindesky said:

I only operated tower cranes for about 20 years, I switched to working in the refineries and chem plants operating RT cranes because the pay was a lot better.

It’s a small world.  I was on several financial audits of Newpark Ship Building in the early 1990s.  It was an interesting business model to audit.