Prepare for hurricane season 2022-2023

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2022 at 12:23 PM, hindesky said:

I bought a DC to AC converter to plug in to the car that can charge cell phones and lap tops.

I have one of those I bought for using my computer on road trips.  I never thought about it for hurricanes.  Good idea.

I made a pretty comprehensive first aid kit from lists from various government agencies, and keep it in an old ammunition box I got from an Army surplus store.  Metal and sturdy, and fits under the passenger seat of the car.  Altogether, I think it was about $50.

Last winter, I picked up a couple of large blue jugs from Wal-Mart for about $15 each.  Each one holds something like ten gallons of water, and have nice big handles for moving around.  I should have gotten more of them.

Another resource: https://www.ready.gov

Also, KHOU has a PDF you can download with hurricane preparedness stuff.  I haven't looked at it yet, but it gets flogged during newscasts pretty often.

14 hours ago, editor said:

Another resource: https://www.ready.gov

Also, KHOU has a PDF you can download with hurricane preparedness stuff.  I haven't looked at it yet, but it gets flogged during newscasts pretty often.

That's all amateur league...search disaster prep on youtube and you'll get an inkling of how far you can really go with this.  😜

6 hours ago, august948 said:

That's all amateur league...search disaster prep on youtube and you'll get an inkling of how far you can really go with this.  😜

I once worked for a company that had its building constructed to resist a nuclear attack, and the management lived like it was going to happen any day now.  No thanks. 

• Haha 1

This advice is coming a bit late, but take the time to see if any tree branches overhang the power lines on your street or your service drops. 
If so, call Centerpoint Energy and request a tree trim.
Ultimately, the decision is theirs (I'm not sure if they'll go on private property to trim limbs that may affect service drops), so if you think it's still a hazard, consult an arborist.
I used to work for HL&P and every time a hurricane was imminent numerous calls would come in from people requesting that tree trimming be done TODAY (in hurricane force winds?).