Where is Kaitlin Monte ? She hasn't been seen on TV in a long while. Now Mike McGuff of mikemcguff.com mentioned a few weeks ago that Monte was on vacation, but there hasn't been any new developments since.

Her recent post on Instagram from June 15th:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ce1sdtxJqHy/

Is Kaitlin coming back to Fox 26 or what ? 

@J Money @G33kn @H-Town @K.C.Y. @W. Ruiz @Fabianna @e_mathews @S Bennett @D Hightower @C. Nevill @MikeRichardson @ChannelTwoNews @fahadmp @gabe116 @Gabby @H-Town Genius @j_cuevas713 

Edited by Blue Dogs
  • Thanks 1

BREAKING NEWS: Kaitlin Monte officially leaves Fox 26 KRIV-TV Houston after 6 years.

https://mikemcguff.blogspot.com/2022/08/kaitlin-monte-leaves-fox-26-houston.html?m=1

Bold Prediction: Rashi Vats will be her permanent replacement & Kaitlin will head back home to NY St, possibly working at Fox News. 

Edited by Blue Dogs

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@editor @Vhammonds @ChannelTwoNews @HTOWN LIVE @Gabby @j_cuevas713 

Caroline Collins will be doing 5:00 PM & 9:00 PM newscasts with Fox 26 KRIV-TV Houston beginning January 2nd, 2023.

She'll also be doing "The News Edge: Early Edition" 6:00 PM & "The News Edge" 10:00 PM.

How long do y'all think Caroline stays with Fox 26 KRIV-TV Houston ?

A.) 6 years

B.) 12 years

C.) 20 years 

D.) Too Soon to Tell 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2022 at 6:16 PM, Blue Dogs said:

@editor @Vhammonds @ChannelTwoNews @HTOWN LIVE @Gabby @j_cuevas713 

Caroline Collins will be doing 5:00 PM & 9:00 PM newscasts with Fox 26 KRIV-TV Houston beginning January 2nd, 2023.

How long do y'all think Caroline stays with Fox 26 KRIV-TV Houston ?

A.) 6 years

B.) 12 years

C.) 20 years 

D.) Too Soon to Tell 

I'm going with option E: I have no idea.

I've been trying to watch more local TV news lately, but it's just the same old thing on every channel.  And not even the "same old thing" as in they all cover the same stories.  I mean the same old thing I used to put on the local news when I was doing it almost 25 years ago.

Another random shooting.  Another random fire.  Another random outrage group trying to make a name for itself and mug for the camera.  Same old stuff from day to day.

It seems like the consultants have convinced local news directors to shift from "News that matters" to "New you can use" to "Here's what you should be afraid of today!"

The only difference between now and 25 years ago is that now, there's traffic in the evening newscasts.  Who is that for?  With the exception of the morning news, people don't turn on the TV to see what the traffic is like.  Even if they did, by the time they got in their car and on the freeway, the traffic has changed.  Traffic is just filler content because it's cheaper than hiring more writers and reporters. 

Also, where are the news helicopters?  As far as I can tell, only 13 has one.  It used to be that every station except 26 and 39 had one.  And 39's excuse was that it was a startup and the owners made the news director choose between a satellite truck and a helicopter.

The only station doing anything different is KHOU, but even that is superficial.  It's at least visually different, even though it's a standard package that's used at all of its owners' stations.  Every other station is putting out news using the same methods, the same visuals, the same rundowns as when I was doing it.

The best local news in Houston these days is the dead tree edition of the Chronicle, which is really not saying very much.  Seriously, how many hamburger reviews does one city need?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2023 at 2:49 PM, editor said:

I'm going with option E: I have no idea.

I've been trying to watch more local TV news lately, but it's just the same old thing on every channel.  And not even the "same old thing" as in they all cover the same stories.  I mean the same old thing I used to put on the local news when I was doing it almost 25 years ago.

Another random shooting.  Another random fire.  Another random outrage group trying to make a name for itself and mug for the camera.  Same old stuff from day to day.

It seems like the consultants have convinced local news directors to shift from "News that matters" to "New you can use" to "Here's what you should be afraid of today!"

The only difference between now and 25 years ago is that now, there's traffic in the evening newscasts.  Who is that for?  With the exception of the morning news, people don't turn on the TV to see what the traffic is like.  Even if they did, by the time they got in their car and on the freeway, the traffic has changed.  Traffic is just filler content because it's cheaper than hiring more writers and reporters. 

Also, where are the news helicopters?  As far as I can tell, only 13 has one.  It used to be that every station except 26 and 39 had one.  And 39's excuse was that it was a startup and the owners made the news director choose between a satellite truck and a helicopter.

The only station doing anything different is KHOU, but even that is superficial.  It's at least visually different, even though it's a standard package that's used at all of its owners' stations.  Every other station is putting out news using the same methods, the same visuals, the same rundowns as when I was doing it.

The best local news in Houston these days is the dead tree edition of the Chronicle, which is really not saying very much.  Seriously, how many hamburger reviews does one city need?

I'm amazed that Fox 26 has NOT picked a permanent replacement for Christy'ann Uribe, who was the Weekday Traffic Anchor before she left. 

I know Coco Dominguez briefly did Traffic during 5:00 PM newscasts before she moved to doing "The Buzz" entertainment segments.

I still like to know if Jose Grinan & Denise Middleton are coming back ? 😕

• 1 month later...
On 1/8/2023 at 2:49 PM, editor said:

26 was pretty well known for having one back in the day. They kept it up in the air during the morning news to cover traffic when the big-3 had gone to their national programs. I think Todd Duplantis was the one that did the reports from in the sky back then. For whatever reason, I still remember their commercials tagline: "Don't Drive Before You See It Live..."

There was some notoriety attached to their chopper as well. I recall it crashed west of Downtown one night after their newscast had ended around the end of 2000 or so. Montrose area, maybe? I also recall recording the event as they stuck with it for at least a couple of hours, so it's on a tape in a box of mine somewhere.

It was later replaced. Like pretty much every station in town at some point, Don Armstrong was their traffic guy later on. I don't recall if he's on 11 or 13 now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2022 at 5:00 PM, Blue Dogs said:

BREAKING NEWS: Kaitlin Monte officially leaves Fox 26 KRIV-TV Houston after 6 years.

https://mikemcguff.blogspot.com/2022/08/kaitlin-monte-leaves-fox-26-houston.html?m=1

Bold Prediction: Rashi Vats will be her permanent replacement & Kaitlin will head back home to NY St, possibly working at Fox News. 

Still lives in Houston and works for Wounded Warrior now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

BREAKING: JONATHAN MARTIN LEAVING FOX 26 KRIV-TV HOUSTON AT THE END OF THIS MONTH.

https://mikemcguff.blogspot.com/2023/04/jonathan-martin-to-leave-fox-26-houston.html

https://www.instagram.com/p/CrQ6WS0MAcZ/

Big question is who's going to replace Martin ? Will they stick with Rashi Vats & Caroline Collins being the co-anchors for the 5:00 PM & 9:00 PM newscasts or will they go outside the box & hire someone else to fill Martin's job ?

• 2 weeks later...

BREAKING NEWS: JOSE GRINAN RETIRING FROM FOX 26 KRIV-TV HOUSTON AFTER 30 YEARS AT THE END OF NEXT MONTH

We knew this was bound to happen one way or another, but after 30 years, Weekday Morning anchor Jose Grinan will be retiring from the Fox O&O Station effective at the end of next month.

https://mikemcguff.blogspot.com/2023/05/jose-grinan-to-retire-from-fox-26.html

https://www.instagram.com/p/CsCbVrGrqvM/

Big question is who'll replace Grinan on Weekday Mornings ? Will they go inside Fox 26 & find an easy replacement OR will they go outside of Houston & TX by looking nationwide ?

@ChannelTwoNews @editor @Edith Adam

Edited by editor
Edited due to copyright. Remember to summarize and link. Don't copy and paste.

End of an era, indeed. Berman's the last of that generation of local sportscasters, and hopefully will enjoy a well-deserved retirement.

As an aside, after reading that tweet I can't help wondering if GM D'Artagnan Bebel has three brothers named Athos, Porthos, and Aramis. 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2023 at 5:45 PM, mkultra25 said:

End of an era, indeed. Berman's the last of that generation of local sportscasters, and hopefully will enjoy a well-deserved retirement.

As an aside, after reading that tweet I can't help wondering if GM D'Artagnan Bebel has three brothers named Athos, Porthos, and Aramis. 

Any chance Nate Griffin gets the job replacing Berman ? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Fox 26 Discussion
On 6/28/2023 at 11:12 AM, editor said:

@Blue Dogs You seem to have a keen interest in KRIV.  Are you a current/former employee, or just a fan?

I knew a couple of former 26 employees who remembered their time there very fondly.

I'm a fan of Fox 26 KRIV-TV Houston. My cousin, who's from Houston told me that he noticed Taslin Alfonso bringing up her time with Fox 26 including her great memories with Jose Grinan on the Weekday Morning newscast, etc., during an interview with Melissa Wilson.

• 2 months later...

Meteorologist Lena Maria Arango leaving Fox 26 KRIV-TV Houston after just two years with the Fox O&O Station. Arango said she'll be staying in Houston. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/article/meteorologist-lena-arango-leaving-fox-26-houston-18345870.php

Wondering who'll take Arango's place 🤔

• 1 month later...