Purchasing a new build and had no idea they would put a utility easement

Easement placed in the backyard during the construction of the house. We were blind sighted when we saw the eye sore, just one week before closing.They never ever asked us for our permission. Never was something in writing. I would like to know what is our recourse here?

7 hours ago, cryst said:

Easement placed in the backyard during the construction of the house. We were blind sighted when we saw the eye sore, just one week before closing. They never ever asked us for our permission. Never was something in writing. I would like to know what is our recourse here?

Since you did not own the property when the easement was granted, you had no control over the easement designation.

Contact a real estate attorney for your options.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2022 at 12:07 AM, cryst said:

Easement placed in the backyard during the construction of the house. We were blind sighted when we saw the eye sore, just one week before closing.They never ever asked us for our permission. Never was something in writing. I would like to know what is our recourse here?

Can you give us any more information?  An easement is not typically an eyesore and it is extraordinarily unlikely that the easement was not there prior to the beginning of construction . . .   Presumably there is more than just easement at play here? 

Agree with @Houston19514. An easement is the right to use the property.  Utilities have the power of eminent domain to acquire easements to provide services for the public good.  I think typically the easements are acquired long before any type of construction work happens.  If the construction work was recent, they should be obligated to restore your property.  If the eyesore is the actual utility (i.e. they ran a new power line and there's a new pole sitting in your back yard) well then you're kinda outta luck.