Sacco Company - 2323 San Jacinto St.

phillip_white

Couldn't find another topic to put this in. The Sacco Company store (part of the building at San Jacinto & McIlhenny) that recently burned is in the midst of remediation. Crews have been working there daily and all other building tenants have had their leases terminated. It appears the whole building will be remodeled.

• Like 3

I'm glad that the building will be remodeled and hope it attracts desirable tenants to the neighborhood.
But please retain the 1920s-30s exterior. Sometimes the results of 'modernizing' a building can be laughable or tragic. 

• Like 1

I noticed that the facade of Sacco Company is composed of the same Texas cordova shell limestone as is found on 2401 San Jacinto (formerly Rich's). This material seemed to be popular in the 1930s,
Ir may just be coincidence but it makes me wonder if the two buildings were built at about the same time, perhaps even by the same builder.

On 7/21/2022 at 9:29 AM, Texasota said:

I feel a lot more strongly about 2401 than this little building.

I agree. Not too long ago 2401 was an attractive building. It's a shame that someone removed the original black ceramic tiles and replaced them with cheap modern materials. 
Also, the signage is amateurish and not in keeping with the Streamline Modern architecture. Perhaps someone will put it right again, someday.

• 3 weeks later...

According to the workers on site, they are tearing the interior down to (and replacing) the studs. All of the suite footprints will remain as they were before the fire, although a full refresh and bringing everything up to current code should make finding new tenants considerably easier. They weren't sure about the exterior, but I would imagine that would depend on the remediation staying under the insurance budget and the landlord not being a total cheapskate.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A contractor working at 2409 Austin said that the work underway at the Sacco building is for temporary structural support. Apparently the arson investigation is ongoing. Once completed, they can start on the renovation.

For now Sacco is relocating to 2409 Austin, possibly as soon as tomorrow. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2022 at 1:23 AM, dbigtex56 said:

I noticed that the facade of Sacco Company is composed of the same Texas cordova shell limestone as is found on 2401 San Jacinto (formerly Rich's). This material seemed to be popular in the 1930s,
Ir may just be coincidence but it makes me wonder if the two buildings were built at about the same time, perhaps even by the same builder.

Also composed of the same Cordova Shell Limestone is 5015 Fannin (Nehemiah Center) a little further south.  I've often wondered if it too was built around the same time as the former Rich's building and by the same builder.  In fact, it is almost a duplicate of 2401 Fannin.

• 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Sacco Company - 2323 San Jacinto (San Jacinto & McIlhenny)
  • 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, hindesky said:

They patched the roof.

overnDW.jpg

I walked by here earlier today. The entire left side of the building fronting San Jacinto has been removed. You can see the notch in this photo. Wonder if they're re-doing the whole facade or just the portion that was damaged by the fire.

• The title was changed to Sacco Company - 2323 San Jacinto St.
  • 2 months later...

The side facing San Jacinto will have no windows and be covered in "decorative tile." No clue what that means, but it's a bummer for interaction with the street. Probably trying to cut costs.

The Sacco entrance is moving to the parking lot. They plan to be moved back in within the next 2-3 months.

The suites at the corner of San Jacinto and McIlhenny are being roughed in for tenants, but no leases have been signed yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2023 at 12:16 PM, phillip_white said:

The side facing San Jacinto will have no windows and be covered in "decorative tile." No clue what that means, but it's a bummer for interaction with the street. Probably trying to cut costs.

The Sacco entrance is moving to the parking lot. They plan to be moved back in within the next 2-3 months.

The suites at the corner of San Jacinto and McIlhenny are being roughed in for tenants, but no leases have been signed yet.

I wish I had seen this thread earlier. If they modify at least 50% of the facade facing a Walkable Places street then they have to meet the requirements of WP which would be 50% fenestration and at least one entrance.

I've sent an email so we'll see.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/16/2023 at 11:08 AM, wilcal said:

I wish I had seen this thread earlier. If they modify at least 50% of the facade facing a Walkable Places street then they have to meet the requirements of WP which would be 50% fenestration and at least one entrance.

I've sent an email so we'll see.

Quick update. I think this project is going to be taking awhile.... 

I'm not an expert on this, but they submitted the wrong type of permits on part of what they are going to do and their approved plans do include glass along the street, not an impervious/opaque decorative tile. Also keeping an entrance along San Jacinto. 

I feel confident that the end result will at least match what was there before and/or they will need to meet Livable Places standards. 

• Like 4