New Crosstown Route

Guest Plastic

Guest Plastic

Houston has several ways to get across town. Loop 610,The Beltway,and Grandparkway are all ways to cross the town. But we need another route.

While we have a route it's not a full highway. I'm talking about from I-10 West to 45 North.

Currently you have to go up HWY 6 and 1960 to do that inbetween the Belt and Grand Parkway.

This would be a tollway that would start right at the bend of The Grand Parkway at Harlem Road.

From there it would go through Bush Park up to I-10. Then it would head up parreles to HWY 6 along Barker Cypress. It would meet 290 about a miles or so West of HWY 6. Then it would turn Northeast and go up to 249 at Cypress Creek. Then it would follow CYpress Creek all the way up to I-45 about a mile north of 1960. They could extend it to 59 just North of Deerbrook Mall.

I looked at it and there are hardly any obstacles accept for 2 Country Clubs around Cypress Creek.It would be nice if it were a highway but I tink the state goverment would be alot more interested in funding a tollway.

The failure to designate SH6/FM 1960 as a freeway/tollway is one of the biggest failures in Houston transportation planning. It was a decision that needed to be made before 1970, but of course was not.

As for your proposed alignment, I agree it would be a suitable corrective action to address the SH6/FM 1960 planning failure. But of course it will never happen since nothing resembling such an alignment is even being contemplated in the regional plan (or by any local agency). Just getting the Grand Parkway built will be enough of a challenge.

I think the best we can hope for is for more overpasses on SH 6 between US 59(south) and I-10W, a section which could ultimately be an expressway free of traffic lights. On the plus side, it wouldn't be tolled.

I wouldn't call those loops cross town, because none bring you across the city in any direct way. As for a route between I10 and I45 outside the Beltway, I don't see it having any practicality for anyone but a few people.

Guest Plastic

It would be used quite heavily, the Belt gets uesed wuite heavily.

And just because a whole lot of people aren't using it now doesn't mean they won't be in 20 years. I'm thinking ahead of time.

The failure to designate SH6/FM 1960 as a freeway/tollway is one of the biggest failures in Houston transportation planning. It was a decision that needed to be made before 1970, but of course was not.

As for your proposed alignment, I agree it would be a suitable corrective action to address the SH6/FM 1960 planning failure. But of course it will never happen since nothing resembling such an alignment is even being contemplated in the regional plan (or by any local agency). Just getting the Grand Parkway built will be enough of a challenge.

I think the best we can hope for is for more overpasses on SH 6 between US 59(south) and I-10W, a section which could ultimately be an expressway free of traffic lights. On the plus side, it wouldn't be tolled.

I agree completely. Even though transportation planners seem to think in loops, what our bypasses really are are boxes. The proposed alignment of the northwestern segments of the Grand Parkway follows that pattern, leading to a sharp curve where the West portion and North portion meet, way out in the boonies. I prefer Plastic's alignment because it is simply a more direct connector between the Energy Corridor/Katy and Spring/The Woodlands. Its just a matter of drawing a hypotonuse to two lines at right angles. The alignment uses less materials and would draw more traffic. But, as Max aptly pointed out, it'll never happen.

TXdot needs to be hurt if they think we need another freeway or tollroad in this metropolitan area. Some of the new roads are not even used such as Westpark and Fort Bend, which easily could have been used for intown routes for the alternative trasportation that Texas doesn't believe in.

TXdot needs to be hurt if they think we need another freeway or tollroad in this metropolitan area. Some of the new roads are not even used such as Westpark and Fort Bend, which easily could have been used for intown routes for the alternative trasportation that Texas doesn't believe in.

Westpark. Unused. Hahahaha!

Archived