Tejo

Discovery Green

In the lawn between One and Two Allen Center.

yeah, what he said :blush:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ent/ar...rt/3807743.html

Paul Kittelson's Disappearing Gnomes are located in the Courtyard between One and Two Allen Center off Smith Street.
i took a sculpture class from kittelson a while back at UH - neat guy
What????? The Perfectland, I mean, Portland has bums?? :o

i know, right?! :D

they are conveniently concentrated on the northeast section of downtown, a little east of the "chinatown gateway" arches.

OK, let's just agree that you are a bum magnet. I've been Downtown for 10 years, and can't recall ever being hit up for change at a patio bar. And, if a bum ever used the "trying to see my kid" line on me, I'd laugh at him. MY bums are intelligent. "Any change today, sir?" If I feel like it, I toss them a quarter or two. If not, I say, "Not today."

I do get tired of them constantly blessing me, though, since I am agnostic. But, that is no more annoying than everyone constantly blessing America.

Really? never? Try going to the saucer on a weeknight after the sun goes down. In Midtown, that Chevron near Spec's and Front Porch are usually popular spots to get hit up at. I know, I know, here it comes - if you don't like it, just don't go there.

Anyway, I'm done on the bum topic for today - almost time for lunch, and I have a few quarters to help someone since they "just got out of jail and am trying to get home"

Dude, if they still give you those stories, you are asking for it.

With experience comes knowledge on how to control the bums. You must learn the techniques of bum mind control.

obi.wan.lg.jpg

i've been hit up at the saucer a few times sitting outside.

i've also been begged for money/pizza inside of Franks late night several times.

its never threatening, just slightly annoying, nothing else.

Everyone has very good points as far as bum control, it would be a wise thing if the police at at least a staging area for their cars at various parts of the park to sit there while they do their paperwork or maybe even a kiosk. That should help with the bum issue.

In regards to the jogging trail, come on! Ever been to memorial park? how many people actually JOG as opposed to WALK?? I think it would be a good area for people to "walk" on their lunch hours.

Everyone has very good points as far as bum control, it would be a wise thing if the police at at least a staging area for their cars at various parts of the park to sit there while they do their paperwork or maybe even a kiosk. That should help with the bum issue.

In regards to the jogging trail, come on! Ever been to memorial park? how many people actually JOG as opposed to WALK?? I think it would be a good area for people to "walk" on their lunch hours.

Does GRB Convention Center have a mini-HPD station in it? If not, I think the park should have one.

A few observations......

1. The park WILL have a Dog Park.....just a lot smaller. It will be along the Oak Aelee near the main eentrence to the park by the Mist Tree.

Does GRB Convention Center have a mini-HPD station in it? If not, I think the park should have one.

2. There will be a secruity kiosk by the fountains and cafe.....this should also help reduce the bum population at the park

3. The biggest observation of all....a few months ago, we learned that the parcel of land that sits directly west of the park, jammed in beween the the park and "The Park Shops," was purchased and that the length of the lease suggests that some sort of development will take place there, most likely a high-rise residential component.

In the the overhead rendering, there is building depicted there....in quite detail....perhaps too much to just dismiss it off as an inclusion to suggest future development, like the other buildings that flank the park, which are drawn in less detail.

Does the project manager and/or the architect know something in regards to the future development of the city block that sits in such a prime location? Maybe....time will tell.

Also a suggestion.......If Crawford Street is going to be closed to traffic thrugh the park permanantly, the street also needs to be closed just south of the park as well. It runs for only one block before Toyota Center blocks it off completely, making this small strip of road nearly useless due to its pattern of flow and streets around it. If this street is closed, it opens up the opportunity to link Toyota Center to the park via the Crawford St Promanade, making the park's parking garage's an attractable parking option and increasing people traffic in the park. Also it could spawn the opportunity for expansion of the Convention Center Hotel westward or development on the block west of the hotel. IIRC, I believe the site is occupied by a power plant, which needs to moved from such a prime development location anyways. The City of Houston needs to seriously consider this idea.

Final Site Plan

Web_Siteplan-Final_800w.jpg

Major natural features include:

Great Lawn - A two-acre expanse of grass providing dramatic views of the skyline.

Oak Promenade - A shaded walk lined with 100-year-old live oak trees.

Urban Garden - More than an acre of flowering trees, plants, fountains and art.

Pond - A one-acre body of water lined with native and wetland plants.

Natural Gardens - Wetland and upland areas extending the length of the park

Land Forms - Several sculpted highpoints that will offer views of downtown.

Tree Alees - Tree-shaded walks to the pond and children

Edited by tigereye

It's actually a substation, and it is not owned by the city so I believe there is little they can do. I agree that it has to go. The costs associatedwith moving it under ground are probably astronomical and only work in cities like NY. The only hope of it going anywhere is when land values increase such that the company is compelled to sell and move to another location. I will say that as substations go, it is dressed up quite nice. It has decorative lighting that changes color and actually adds to the street scape at ground level.

Edited by SMUrban

I'm really not crazy about the idea of a dog area. There'll be wiz all over the place and it'll smell like madness.

There will only be wiz in the very, very small dog area-not "all over the place".

The way to avoid the dog wiz is to not go to the very, very small dog area.

There will only be wiz in the very, very small dog area-not "all over the place".

The way to avoid the dog wiz is to not go to the very, very small dog area.

Yes, everyone knows big dogs do not wiz.

Oh, and Kimberley, what DOES Madness smell like?

madness-one-step-beyond.jpg

Edited by RedScare

Doggie wizz madness, eh?

Maybe this will be a doggie internet.

"Wow! got a hot delicate flower here! I'll drop her a note!"

I'm really not crazy about the idea of a dog area. There'll be wiz all over the place and it'll smell like madness.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. :angry:

More simple speculation and uninformed judgement. This is another area that was addressed in the presentation the other night... the park will be well-maintained and clean. Period.

I doubt that you've spent any time in a dog park, or you would know that they are general very clean areas and dog owners are vigilent about keeping them that way. Owners police each other and maintain the grounds... and in the case with the downtown park, their will be maintenance staff their to guarantee it stays clean.

Dog parks are great for canines... but, just as importantly, they create incredible social interaction. I've gotten to know many people - who I now consider friends - at the dog park I frequent with my labrador retriever.

Perhaps you would just prefer a dog-free, homeless-free, humidity-free, sterile environment... you know without real human interaction and experiences. If so, its called the Galleria...

wow i like the little rendering map thingy, im ready for this park, great development for downtown, and tigereye i noticed too that they went into detail with the buildings around the park, does anyone got some valid info on the reality of these buildings?

Looks like a new Bridezilla >:) magnet!!

:lol::lol::lol:

Seriously, I can't WAIT for this thing to be done!

Thats what planners and architects had in mind.

GRB hosts Bridal conventions. I think Ive even seen a Prom convention held there too.

Notice the placement of "the Bandstand," which is really just a Gazebo in the Urban Garden. Its placed close to GRB along the Oak Alee, which will be the main pathway from GRB to Downtown, as it currently is right now. This puts the Gazebo in perfect sight range for the brides that will surely overtake it, come the next bridal convention. The event space next to the Gazebo was also planned for the numerous photographers that will setup shop there for these types of events. All in all, a solid plan.

Edited by tigereye

GRB hosts Bridal conventions. I think Ive even seen a Prom convention held there too.

Notice the placement of "the Bandstand," which is really just a Gazebo in the Urban Garden. Its placed close to GRB along the Oak Alee, which will be the main pathway from GRB to Downtown, as it currently is right now. This puts the Gazebo in perfect sight range for the brides that will surely overtake it, come the next bridal convention. The event space next to the Gazebo was also planned for the numerous photographers that will setup shop there for these types of events. All in all, a solid plan.

Sure hope the dogs don't wiz on them. Brides that smell like PetSmart are no bueno.

Sure hope the dogs don't wiz on them. Brides that smell like PetSmart are no bueno.

Well there you go. Look for a tie-in with America's Funniest Home Videos, too.

Those architects think of everything.

Yep. It'll smell and look just like the outside of a Pet Smart.

Whatever... you clearly are the expert.

Again, those designers and maintenance experts WHO TALKED ABOUT THE DOG RUNS IN THE PRESENTATION don't have a clue, do they??

firstngoal:

Whatever... you clearly are the expert.

Again, those designers and maintenance experts WHO TALKED ABOUT THE DOG RUNS IN THE PRESENTATION don't have a clue, do they??

:sigh: I was just kidding around! :rolleyes:

:sigh: I was just kidding around! :rolleyes:

Some people on this forum just can't handle a discussion about a new downtown park without conflict. You make a simple harmless comment and you're liable for a diatribe about American society and what's wrong with it. A lot of axes being ground around here...

Some people on this forum just can't handle a discussion about a new downtown park without conflict. You make a simple harmless comment and you're liable for a diatribe about American society and what's wrong with it. A lot of axes being ground around here...

Yes. Right.

Anyway, back to the Downtown Park. For those of you that are interested in learning more about Houston parks, the details of the new park (and want to separate fact from fiction) -- and share your comments, the president of the Houston Parks Board and the Downtown Park Conservancy Director will be speaking at the monthly ULI (Urban Land Institute) luncheon later this month. I believe it will be May 25th at the Hilton Americas... I'll find the exact details and post in the community announcements section. I highly recommend attending for those of you who could not make the park unveiling this past week...

This project is a terrific addition to our downtown area... as well as the urban core beyond. It is rather amazing what a tight timeline they are on... we easily could be enjoying this new addition to the Houston landscape within a couple of years. It is also worth noting the very generous contributions that have already been made to the new downtown park (some $40 million) by foundations and individuals in this city. I say - enthusiastically - "thank you." ;)

The biggest observation of all....a few months ago, we learned that the parcel of land that sits directly west of the park, jammed in beween the the park and "The Park Shops," was purchased and that the length of the lease suggests that some sort of development will take place there, most likely a high-rise residential component.

So The Park Shops will be cut off from the Downtown Park directly, but will have a high-rise in front of it? Does that help or hurt The Park Shops?

I was expecting at first that The Park Shops would be a boundary to the Park (partially because of the name "Park Shops"), because they're revitalizing the Shops.

Edited by DJ V Lawrence

So The Park Shops will be cut off from the Downtown Park directly, but will have a high-rise in front of it? Does that help or hurt The Park Shops?

I was expecting at first that The Park Shops would be a boundary to the Park (partially because of the nake "Park Shops"), because they're revitalizing the Shops.

Yeah there will be a building between the Park shops and the new park. This could help, I believe the new building is suppose to have ground retail. So it can can connect the park to the shops then the shops to the Pavilions(about a block or two apart)and have a nice shopping district.

Edited by Houstonian in Iraq

Why exactly is a downtown mall considered a good thing?

Becasue not all people live in the suburbs.. and those people need to spend money also.

Becasue not all people live in the suburbs.. and those people need to spend money also.

It just seems to me that when that money is spent, it should be done on street level, at storefront locations. Maybe that's just me though.

:lol::angry2: YEAH DOWNTOWN!! DON'T BE CHEAP!!! :angry2::lol:

j/k! The post was serious and true, I know, but 4 some reason it cracked me up B)

:ph34r: (insert DJ beating here) :ph34r:

It just seems to me that when that money is spent, it should be done on street level, at storefront locations. Maybe that's just me though.

Pavillions, Park Tower and the park aren't going to be malls. I guess you are talking about the Park Shops in Houston Center which doesn't really have anything to do with the new park, and they have been there for years. So why make a hoopla now?

Pavillions, Park Tower and the park aren't going to be malls. I guess you are talking about the Park Shops in Houston Center which doesn't really have anything to do with the new park, and they have been there for years. So why make a hoopla now?

...'cause Park Shops just went through a major renovation

Technically they aren't the "Park Shops" anymore, and have not been for a couple of years. The name changed to "Shops at Houston Center" during the first phase of renovations, when the new exterior signage was added, along with the street-level retail spaces where Jos. A. Bank Clothiers and Twisted Fork are now.

They still have a way to go... with the exception of a couple of new restaurants, the Joseph A. Bank. and the gym, the in-line mall space is still really tired. There was tweaking of the exterior... but essentially it is like putting make-up on a pig. I'd call it a major renovation when the entire retail area is updated and modified...

I'm hoping the Pavilions and the new retail in the Park Tower puts more pressure on Crescent to take the renovations to the next level...

They still have a way to go... with the exception of a couple of new restaurants, the Joseph A. Bank. and the gym, the in-line mall space is still really tired. There was tweaking of the exterior... but essentially it is like putting make-up on a pig. I'd call it a major renovation when the entire retail area is updated and modified...

I'm hoping the Pavilions and the new retail in the Park Tower puts more pressure on Crescent to take the renovations to the next level...

I agree. Does anyone here see the Shops at Houston Center pointless as-is? I think it has MAD potential if it were marketed and renovated right. Sure, the main crowds are at lunch-time, but how long can it last if that's the only crowd that's coming in? And won't that crowd leave once Pavillions and the Parks Tower retail areas are completed?

Couldn't the Shops at Houston Center become another major pedestrian draw to the area to coincide with Pavillions, the park, and the other development directly surrounding it, or is the Shops overall just hopeless and a waste of money?

I agree. Does anyone here see the Shops at Houston Center pointless as-is? I think it has MAD potential if it were marketed and renovated right. Sure, the main crowds are at lunch-time, but how long can it last if that's the only crowd that's coming in? And won't that crowd leave once Pavillions and the Parks Tower retail areas are completed?

Couldn't the Shops at Houston Center become another major pedestrian draw to the area to coincide with Pavillions, the park, and the other development directly surrounding it, or is the Shops overall just hopeless and a waste of money?

The Shops at Houston Center has always been akwardly-positioned in the market...but there are two really dense clusters of office buildings downtown, and the Shops are smack dab in the middle of one of them. Very convenient if you happen to be one of the tens of thousands of people that work right around there. The Pavillions are not nearly as convenient to Houston Center as are the Shops...the Shops aren't going anywhere.

The Park Tower, hopefully, will only help to build the critical mass of retailers necessary for destination retailers to set up shop. That is the key to transforming the retail environment of Downtown Houston. Sometimes supply/demand kills off properties, but sometimes it only transforms them into a higher and better use.

i think the shops at houston center would be a great place for apartments, when it rains you can step outside on an indorr balcony and watch it hit the glass top, why dont they just renovate the whole place in to residential, id live there

i think the shops at houston center would be a great place for apartments, when it rains you can step outside on an indorr balcony and watch it hit the glass top, why dont they just renovate the whole place in to residential, id live there

And hopefully most of that retail would relocate to street level locations.

June 4, 2006

National Perspectives

How a Park Changed a Chicago Neighborhood

By ROBERT SHAROFF

CHICAGO

MILLENNIUM PARK, the $475 million modernist playground that opened at the edge of Lake Michigan here two years ago, has quickly become one of the city's leading tourist attractions. What is less known, however, is that the 24.6-acre park

What Chicago have to do with Houston?

Nothing, semipro. nmainguy mistakenly put an article about Chicago's New Downtown Park in the Houston's New Downtown Park thread. It really should not be there. <_<

Nothing, semipro. nmainguy mistakenly put an article about Chicago's New Downtown Park in the Houston's New Downtown Park thread. It really should not be there. <_<

No mistake. I thought people might want to read how another city's new park spurned residential developement-as many are hoping our new park will.

B)

No mistake. I thought people might want to read how another city's new park spurned residential developement-as many are hoping our new park will.

B)

yeah, Red and everyone else knew what you meant. Thanks for breaking it down for Semi ;)

Not to get too far off topic, but I love that building The Aqua they had in the article. Maybe we'll get some buildings like that around our park.

June 4, 2006

National Perspectives

How a Park Changed a Chicago Neighborhood

By ROBERT SHAROFF

CHICAGO

MILLENNIUM PARK, the $475 million modernist playground that opened at the edge of Lake Michigan here two years ago, has quickly become one of the city's leading tourist attractions. What is less known, however, is that the 24.6-acre park

I was expecting at first that The Park Shops would be a boundary to the Park (partially because of the name "Park Shops"), because they're revitalizing the Shops.

The name is actually the Houston Center Shops. Was changed years ago. But I still call it the Park Shops at times too.

Getting warmer. The Shops At Houston Center.

And they still stink as much now as they did when I worked in Two Houston Center. So much for the renovation.

http://www.theshopsathoustoncenter.com/

So lets say you owned the Shops at Houston Center. What would you do to make them better? What wouls have of made your expeience working at 2 Houston Center any better?

Mainly the look and feel. It needs to shake it's 80s funk.

Better interior lighting would be a good start. It's serves well, but seems like it could be made into a much more enjoyable experience.

And bring back Brooks Brothers! J.A. Bank just does not do it for me.