Tejo

Discovery Green

I agree, KinkaidAlum. Reading these forums is a perfect cure for anybody who is too positive or optimistic about life. The pessimism and bitterness out here is unbelievable!

Heh. It's like a truth syrum.

Back on topic, judging from his response, I guess Houston19514 is all up Mr. Finger's butt for some odd reason.

Do you work for Mr. Fringer?

Yes, you are quite the slave master. Telling people to scorll up, don't repat things, read the entire thread, etc.

Lighten up, Francis.

Coog, read some of the remarks made by other people on this forum. You're not taking the hint.

If you don't stop the name-calling and insulting remarks, the editor's going to come down on you. We don't want to lose good members because of your antics.

Ditto, Coog. I really appreciate your input around here, as you're one of our biggest posters, but I think you should check your daily intake of sugar. Try to tone it down a bit. Personal attacks, name calling, and insults are not what this web site is for. Just take a deep breath before you hit that "Reply" button.

Anybody have an update on the park? According to their website they should be going out to bid fairly soon, if not already, and construction is to commence this summer and finishing Fall '07. I'd expect to see a final site plan before they go out to bid, right?

This info is from 3rd Coast at SSP.

Schiller Del Grande Restaurant Group

Chosen to Operate Two Restaurants for the Downtown Park

HOUSTON, TX April 26, 2006 The Houston Downtown Park Conservancy today announced that Schiller Del Grande Restaurant Group will join the Conservancy to operate two restaurants and oversee other food and beverage venues in the new downtown park an almost 12-acre green space scheduled to open in late 2007 adjacent to the George R. Brown Convention Center.

Schiller Del Grande Restaurant Group has built a national culinary reputation at Cafe Annie and the less formal Bar Annie. They were also forerunners in the

Would a carousel be too much for the park? I like the idea myself.

Do we have to make every part of the city look like a Fertitta restaurant?

I was just about to say if you want another aquarium. I'm sick of seeing the mini carnivals all over the city too. That should have been in the "new blight" topic.

Edited by WesternGulf

I knew someone was going to say something about Feritta. Not a lot of Tilman love on this board, is there?

There's nothing wrong or unusual about having a carousel in a park. I think it would be sweet. It can play instrumentals of old 1930s and '40s standards or something.

No one opinion is bad. I don't have any real use for carousels but they don't offend me either.

If the park is designed for people of all ages, then Kimberly may have a valid point. Parents like having things like carousels available to share with their kids.

I doubt that add one, though. Space seems limited and a carousel probably isn't a priority, especially if they want to make the park a draw for urbanists who would presumably consider living in residential structures built near the park.

I'll never forget the carousel scene at the end of Catcher in the Rye. Sometimes a carousel can be just the thing to stamp a lifelong memory of a place on a person. They also offer a kind of classic look.

For some reason I thought Kimberly mentioned ferris wheel rather than carousel. On the other hand I have seen some pretty classy carousels in Europe.

Edited by WesternGulf

For some reason I was thought Kimberly mentioned ferris wheel rather than carousel. On the other hand I have seen some pretty classy carousels in Europe.

concur with carousel. they could have reused the one from astroworld. It was an antique.

concur with carousel. they could have reused the one from astroworld. It was an antique.

It was also refurbished in 98, I forget how old it was.

Isn't there already a carousel in downtown at the aquarium? I could be wrong it's been years since I last been

Edited by Houstonian in Iraq

H-Town Man:

I'll never forget the carousel scene at the end of Catcher in the Rye. Sometimes a carousel can be just the thing to stamp a lifelong memory of a place on a person. They also offer a kind of classic look.

That's what I was thinking. They provide a kind of old-fashioned charm.

There's an episode of "The Twilight Zone" I was thinking of that had a prominent scene with a carousoul in a park. It turned out to be one of the more sentimental episodes. And then there's the great carousel wreck scene from "Strangers on a Train". :lol:

And then there's the great carousel wreck scene from "Strangers on a Train". :lol:

What a GREAT movie!!!

I beg your pardon, but aren't you Guy Haines?

strangers2.jpg

B)

According to the Downtown Park website, the "official" (which I presume means final) design is to be released May 9.

Here's exactly what the announcement flyer says

Houston Downtown Park Conservancy

P.O. Box 130646

Houston, TX 77219-0646

Tel: 713-333-1161

Fax: 713-333-1162

For Immediate Release

Elmore Public Relations

713-524-0661 (O) or 832-725-6884 (M)

(Please do not publish phone numbers)

Official Design of Houston

How about a beautiful fountain ... Mecom comes to mind or that cool fountain in Chicago. With benches etc.

Not that I'm against a fountain in the park, but if Houston does that, it's gotta be something we've never seen before. Chicago's design belongs to Chi-town, and there's other ways to be innovative. I say if it's gonna have anything to do with water, make a walk-through fountain like in Milan or Paris. At least something new to America...

Was the final design released today? I saw something about it on channel 2, but didn't catch all of it.

Edited by KimberlySayWhat

The official grand public unvailing is suppose to be on 9 May. Media might of got a sneak peak.

KHOU has avery small picture of the model.

a6rd.jpg

link to story: http://www.khou.com/news/local/stories/kho...k.1fdd5961.html

I like that the pond area looks bigger than originally planned ;)

Edited by Houstonian in Iraq

Love the pond. It's exciting when you start seeing renderings. :)

Yeah it is, I wish I could get a closer look and see what the final design is.....oh well B) guess I have to wait until later today (9 May)

i can finally take a sigh of relief, i thought this thing was gonna be a bunch of talk, but i was wrong, i cant wait to see the full renderings, this along with Pavilions are the two biggest projects for downtown right now, kinda like the Rockets building around Yao and McGrady, they can build around Pavilions and the park, except it wont turn out as bad as the Rockets season did, lol

i can finally take a sigh of relief, i thought this thing was gonna be a bunch of talk, but i was wrong, i cant wait to see the full renderings, this along with Pavilions are the two biggest projects for downtown right now, kinda like the Rockets building around Yao and McGrady, they can build around Pavilions and the park, except it wont turn out as bad as the Rockets season did, lol

I know huh?! Dude, if only the Parks Shops can come through, who knows; maybe they could be a triple threat:)

I think the design looks great! For some reason, it kinda reminds me of a downtown Hermann Park :P You know, da model boats, da outdoor amphitheatre... :)

Also, I wonder if the current major festivals like the International Festival and others that are usually on downtown streets will relocate there once the park is complete. THe articles say there's a "Great Lawn" in the park, which made me curious.

Yo, on the official park site, it says the full renderings will be posted up here tomorrow (May 10th)...

http://www.houstondowntownpark.org/

Also, here's more details from the Chonicle. It says in the article that there will be a park naming contest in August (I dare you to name it Trump Park :P ), and my personal favorite, it says that one of the two restaurants will have a second floor patio to soak in the views of the trees and downtown skyline...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metrop...an/3849812.html

I see they did away with the dog area and the stream and a couple other things. It doesn't look as cramed just like some people on this forum wanted. I like it

in the end it looks a lot like a good compromise between the green space people and the activity people. A few things that are more activity based and then a lot of grass and trees. Very nice. Of course a rendering is different, but the one thing I wasn't sure if it will still have is sports areas - such as volleyball or anything like that. i'm sure people can play informal games, but I thought itwould be nice to have a couple of standard park type sports available there (I really wanted tennis courts, but that does take up a lot of room)

All in all, looks great to me.

It looks really nice. Now is the hard part; we have to wait.

I'm kind of glad there's no dog area. Think how that would smell on a hot, humid day.

the final plan looks great. i'm not sure if i like the way the pond blocks one entire side of the park. it seems it would be more attractive and useful if it (the pond) was surrounded by park space on all sides. however, it does lend to a larger "great lawn" area. festival space seems to have been a priority for the park.

this is an amazing addition to downtown. finally, another piece of the puzzle (a big one at that) come into place.

is it '07 yet?

Edited by bachanon