Discovery Green Park At 1500 McKinney St.

c4smok

Man, what's up with the hostility towards other universities in Houston? If UH people would rather me remain ignorant about UH then maybe that's what I should do. I really have no reason to go there besides trying to keep an open mind and see how nice your campus is. I know you're half joking but this university hostility thing seems kind of childish to me. I gave up on that when I was in high school.

lmao...i guess that's why you are at Rice...you take things seriously, which is a really good thing and the University hostility comes from both schools being in the same Conference..i can't wait until football season B)

Duplicate....other guy above me had the same idea.

Looking at the renderings, I actually think the Boathouse might pull more during the day becuse of its causl lounge type atmosphere. For some reason, it just reminds me of college, which I think will score big with park go-ers during the day.

And really I think the Grove Bar could score big as an upscale club/lounge setup at night given its description in the article as a "glowing bar" and a "beacon" at night. Its setup and view of downtown benneth the trees and stars would be a huge and unique departure from the normal upscale club/lounge scene in Houston. And in the Spring and Fall seasons.....just thinking about it and comparing it to other places where pretty folk flock to in Houston.....I expect big success from this place. Schiller Del Grande is on the right track.....

Edited by tigereye

• 4 weeks later...

I've been down around the construction of the park a lot lately, and I figured I'd just post some thoughts I've had about it.

- It will be really exciting/interesting to see what ends up at the block adjacent to the park towards the north. I'm hoping a large residential project that mirrors the Hilton well. By the way, the Hilton will look great over the park. That building looks better and better everytime I see it.

- I think One Park Place's ground floor market will be very pivotal in attracting more downtown residential projects.

- One of the best and probably most overlooked things about the park is the fact that it's on the east side of town. In the late afternoons and evenings it won't be hit directly by the sun and will be a nice place to be before Astros/Rockets games.

- I would love it if the city tried to promote the northeast side of downtown as a "Ballpark Village" with the empty blocks for developers. I don't really know how exactly the city can partner with developers, but it would be great for the 3 blocks from MMP to the park to develop with some 10-20 story mixed use developments based around the future light rail line (hopefully) running along Capitol. It could even extend out to the Ballpark Lofts and the new Dynamo Stadium. More of a dream, though.

I've been down around the construction of the park a lot lately, and I figured I'd just post some thoughts I've had about it.

- It will be really exciting/interesting to see what ends up at the block adjacent to the park towards the north. I'm hoping a large residential project that mirrors the Hilton well. By the way, the Hilton will look great over the park. That building looks better and better everytime I see it.

- I think One Park Place's ground floor market will be very pivotal in attracting more downtown residential projects.

- One of the best and probably most overlooked things about the park is the fact that it's on the east side of town. In the late afternoons and evenings it won't be hit directly by the sun and will be a nice place to be before Astros/Rockets games.

- I would love it if the city tried to promote the northeast side of downtown as a "Ballpark Village" with the empty blocks for developers. I don't really know how exactly the city can partner with developers, but it would be great for the 3 blocks from MMP to the park to develop with some 10-20 story mixed use developments based around the future light rail line (hopefully) running along Capitol. It could even extend out to the Ballpark Lofts and the new Dynamo Stadium. More of a dream, though.

Finger hasn't yet signed a retail tenant, is still shooting for a specialty foods store, and professes optimism. I give them 2 to 1 odds against it.

The City doesn't own a lot of land in that area. The County does own some land for parking. Neither entity is all that excited about subsidizing housing for the wealthy. Anything that happens in that area will happen because market forces dictate it. Right now, though, the land prices are so tremendously expensive, driven almost entirely by the office market, that residential just doesn't work very frequently.

Well, I don't know if I would say that. It doesn't matter what part of Downtown the park is in... it matters on whether or not the sun's late afternoon rays which will be coming in from the west / west-southwest can directly reach the park... which they will be able to. If there was a wall of tall buildings on the west / southwest side of the park (around the Toyota Center)... well, then there would be more shade... but there isn't.

But please let's remember, b/c most people seem to forget... it's not hot and humid in Houston all year round!! It's hot (afternoon temperatures in the 90s) ON AVERAGE around 4 months out of the year (mid May to mid September)... most (not all) of the rest of the year it's beautiful ( afternoon temperatures in the 60s, 70s, 80s). Yes it can get cold during the winter but it doesn't last long. The park will most likely see less visitors during the summer when it's really hot just like parks in the North see less visitors in the late fall / winter / early spring when it's cool / cold. As someone who is from the Northeast I can honestly tell you that we here in south Texas see MANY more nice days (nice day = a day that one can comfortably spend a long period of time outside w/o sweating or having to put on a jacket) out of the year than people who live in cities such as NYC / Philly / Boston do... and parks are very popular in these cities.

This is what part of the view of the skyline from the new park is going to look like. They are supposed to be building some sort of hills that you can walk on that give you a clear view of the skyline, and also there is a rooftop deck at one of the restaurants. So it should be an even nicer view. This was taken near the convention center.1306220198_b163c65f4c_b.jpg

Also, some construction photos.

6377j9e.jpg6gul4sk.jpg4r1h37l.jpg4uk7ceq.jpg

Edited by Jax

This is what part of the view of the skyline from the new park is going to look like. They are supposed to be building some sort of hills that you can walk on that give you a clear view of the skyline, and also there is a rooftop deck at one of the restaurants. So it should be an even nicer view. This was taken near the convention center.1306220198_b163c65f4c_b.jpg

Is it just me, or does the JP Morgan tower's facade look dingy?

m. B)

I wish this park was there during the Super Bowl.

Eh... not that that many people would have used it. People in for the Super Bowl were busy doing other things... plus if I remember correctly it was kind of damp and cool during the Super Bowl... not really "park" weather.

Eh... not that that many people would have used it. People in for the Super Bowl were busy doing other things... plus if I remember correctly it was kind of damp and cool during the Super Bowl... not really "park" weather.

Actually, ESPN broadcasted (GameDay?) from that park in front of George R. Brown during the Super Bowl. They were out there all week, if I remember correctly.

And yes, the weather did suck Super Bowl week. It was amazing the week before and the week after, but cold and rainy during Super Bowl week. Murphy's Law.

Yeah, I guess it does.

Architecturally, I think it's much better from the other side of the building. From this side it looks too boxy.

Yes, i do like it from the other side as well. Actually, as some of my past posts indicate, i really wish our "city's tallest" was shaped differently. I understand it harkens back to a different era, BUT, i still think it could be more architecturally interesting.

The view of DT from the new park encourages me on a couple of levels. First, with the new Hines' additions, i think the view will even be better. Second, i think more and more people will view DT from that position, which could, lead to more ideas on how to "spruce" up that side of DT. It reminds me of what those in the Chrystler building thought of UT Manhattan in the 30's. Yeah, great view.........not much to see....skyscraperwise, i mean. Make sense?

Anyway, thanks for the pix. Maybe someday they will reclad the thing in photovoltaic glass, add a spire, and give us something to be proud of DT. :lol:

m.

Edited by marc

Yes, i do like it from the other side as well. Actually, as some of my past posts indicate, i really wish our "city's tallest" was shaped differently. I understand it harkens back to a different era, BUT, i still think it could be more architecturally interesting.

I can understand a bit why Chase Tower gets picked on for not being more "architecturally interesting"... from certain angles, like from the park, it is a pretty blah looking building... just a big, tall box. However, from other angles, I think it fits our skyline perfectly... like when driving in on Interstate 45 from the north... it really blends in well w/ the other towers, particularly Bank of America. Living in the Heights, I get to see this view from 45 whenever I go to work in southeast Houston... and tonight as I was driving to work right as the sun was setting... it looked AMAZING!! :wub: I also think it looks kewl, though boxy, when driving in on Interstate 10 from the east... it's out in front all tall and dominating. he he In the end, I really do think Chase Tower fits in w/ our skyline perfectly... even though the building itself may not look very nice from certain angles.

I can understand a bit why Chase Tower gets picked on for not being more "architecturally interesting"...

It is interesting if you know the story behind its form.

Chase, formerly Texas Commerce Bank Bldg, was going up at the same time as the BOA bldg, formerly RepublicBank Bldg.

This was the early 80s when banks were building big ego driven masterpieces. At the time, I M Pei's Chase building, was to be the tallest bldg west of the Mississippi, but that wasn't enough.

Texas Commerce wanted their bank to 'look down' on the Philip Johnson's RepublicBank building. Hence the otherwise square building has a 5th angled side...to give it a face by which it could stare down at the other new bank building a few blocks away.

...or so the story goes.

Edited by Highway6

It is interesting if you know the story behind its form.

Chase, formerly Texas Commerce Bank Bldg, was going up at the same time as the BOA bldg, formerly RepublicBank Bldg.

This was the early 80s when banks were building big ego driven masterpieces. At the time, I M Pei's Chase building, was to be the tallest bldg west of the Mississippi, but that wasn't enough.

Texas Commerce wanted their bank to 'look down' on the Philip Johnson's RepublicBank building. Hence the otherwise square building has a 5th angled side...to give it a face by which it could stare down at the other new bank building a few blocks away.

...or so the story goes.

Wow, that's a great story. I wish I could have been in Houston during the historic building boom.

While the 80s building boom gave Houston it's famous skyline, hopefully this building boom will improve downtown Houston's vitality. Most of the projects (HP, Park Place, Discovery Tower, and Main Place) have some combination of retail/residential/office, while I believe most of the 80s building boom was office only.

Assuming you are living in Houston now... You are present for another building boom which might one day be seen as also historic.

Amen and Amen.........FINALLY someone has been brave enough to say the B word we all have been so hush hush about. I know the Boom/Bust of the 80's scarred us a bit, but c'mon, that was over 20 years ago. >:)

Although the buildings are not as massive going up in terms of height, i do look around H-town and every side of our fair city has major projects, cranes, hardhats etc. going on. I tend to think of it as "the boom of the early 21st century" as i am sure historians will label it. Although i pine for a new supertall (i just like skyscrapers A LOT) i am seeing that the density is paying off in terms of making Houston look more and more urban.

I searched and found a pix. of DT Houston circa 1978- really only One Shell Plaza and Penzoil Place were dominate with other midrises from the 30's-50s sort of creeping out behind. Then i looked up a pix. from DT Houston 1986/7. GOOD GOD! What a difference a few years make.

Almost instant city in its transformation. SO, because H-town has so many high and midrises currently, the present-day transformation may not make as big an impression, but i still think the transformation will be noteworthy by, say, 2010-2011. But then again, this seems to be the trend with, not only US, but other cities around the world. I cannot wait to start buying skyline photos of these cities after 2010-2011! :)

m.

Edited by marc

I can understand a bit why Chase Tower gets picked on for not being more "architecturally interesting"... from certain angles, like from the park, it is a pretty blah looking building... just a big, tall box. However, from other angles, I think it fits our skyline perfectly... like when driving in on Interstate 45 from the north... it really blends in well w/ the other towers, particularly Bank of America. Living in the Heights, I get to see this view from 45 whenever I go to work in southeast Houston... and tonight as I was driving to work right as the sun was setting... it looked AMAZING!! :wub: I also think it looks kewl, though boxy, when driving in on Interstate 10 from the east... it's out in front all tall and dominating. he he In the end, I really do think Chase Tower fits in w/ our skyline perfectly... even though the building itself may not look very nice from certain angles.

Yes, i concede, like the awkward, ugly step-brother coming into the family, the JP Morgan Tower has some sort of place in my heart when i think of Houston. I just cannot actually define where it is! :lol: Seriously, though. I know it fits in with Houston's skyline (as TheNiche has pointed out to me earlier), i just really have never warmed to it. My heart still belongs to the Williams Tower and BoA Building: for 2 totally different reasons!

m. B)

Amen and Amen.........FINALLY someone has been brave enough to say the B word we all have been so hush hush about. I know the Boom/Bust of the 80's scarred us a bit, but c'mon, that was over 20 years ago. >:)

I randomly talking to a guy that had just moved to Houston from St. Louis. He was an architect and was transferred here because it was the only city that had not yet suffered from housing bubble.

Reverse white-flight / gentrification is certainly making its mark on the city. I would certain call these boom-times.

Hey admins, could one of you change the title of this thread to "Discovery Green" and make the subtitle "new downtown park"? I always have trouble finding it...

Gift from BP America to Discovery Green Focuses on Solar Technology

HOUSTON, TX (September 13, 2007)