Discovery Green Park At 1500 McKinney St.

c4smok

Hey admins, could one of you change the title of this thread to "Discovery Green" and make the subtitle "new downtown park"? I always have trouble finding it...

Gift from BP America to Discovery Green Focuses on Solar Technology

HOUSTON, TX (September 13, 2007)

The thing I don't get is why there needs to be a vehicle to transport people around the park. It's not that big of a park is it? Like 2-3 blocks wide, right?

Apparently this is a "bad boy buggy".

bad_boy_buggy_climbs_tree_lg.jpg

Edited by Jax

• 3 weeks later...
That metalic object I described earlier. but once we find out exactly what it is, it won't be a mystery much longer.

LOL I was wondering if anyone would see the potential laugh there. But, seriously, it's going to be a mist tree. (I think it's going to be a sculptural "tree" that emits a cooling mist. Art, function, comfort, entertainment all in one.)

looking at those photos.... man, this is a pretty small park.

but i guess we we'll take what we can get.

The park is surpringly large. You'd be surprised.

The one thing that no one has talked about is the little ride road they cut into the median between the park and the Hilton Americas. I think that was designed for people leaving the restuarant.

I've been there in person and I don't think it's too big either. The restaurants seem to take up a lot of space.

But maybe my perspective will change once it's finished. It could be like looking at a piece of slab. The house always looks small until they start putting up walls.

Actually it is going to be rather large. From pictures it doesn't seem to be large at all. But if you see this thing in person, you would be suprised. (It is no Central Park, but we don't need a Central Park in Houston)

Especially considering we have two "central parks" already. Memorial Park is twice the size of Central Park. Hermann is half the size. And none of the three parks is located in a downtown. For a downtown park, I believe this will deliver what it promises.

No. Just driven around it a couple times, which I guess is a little different from walking around inside it. But I've driven past plenty other things as well so it's not as if I'm w/o comparison.

Driving around a park and walking/strolling around a park ARE two different things. Depending on landscaping, a relatively small space can seem larger because of stepbacks and such. When driving around it, one goes from a point A to point B perspective, whereas, winding pathways, trees blocking expansive views of the borders and certain structures can create an illusion that the park is larger than it really is. True it isn't Central Park size, but then again, does Houston need something like that DT? B)