Discovery Green Park At 1500 McKinney St.

c4smok

Gee, Niche, thanks for informing me that Great SW doesn't have tunnel access. I never knew that! :blink:

Given your history of beating dead horses with increasingly lengthy and muti-syllabic posts, I realize that my observations of REALITY, gained from ACTUALLY OFFICING in the area for 6 years, will not prevent you from impressing yourself with more theorhetical BS, regardless of the fact that it is untrue.

There is no parking shortage in downtown. That is why there is $3 daily parking by the convention center.

As for you attempting to explain tunnels and streets that you seldom travel to a guy that walks them daily....well, that is why you have the nickname, ThePedant. But, next time you try to make the case that tunnels are quicker, you might factor in the time one spends locating the entrance, walking up and down the steps or escalators, and the fact that they often angle in directions opposite your destination, adding to your trip.

Now, as I have wasted enough time explaining stupid things to you, I will leave the rest of this thread for you to continue convincing us that "working" in real eastate does not mean you understand it.

But, next time you try to make the case that tunnels are quicker, you might factor in the time one spends locating the entrance, walking up and down the steps or escalators, and the fact that they often angle in directions opposite your destination, adding to your trip.

...and you might try checking a map. :rolleyes:

They aren't pefect for every origin/destination pair (which is why I favor the idea of extending them in some places), but they do make sense for a lot of people.

Now, as I have wasted enough time explaining stupid things to you, I will leave the rest of this thread for you to continue convincing us that "working" in real eastate does not mean you understand it.

If you can find me a major retailer that wouldn't care about a reliable supply of parking available to them, let me know. If you can track down a downtown firm that wouldn't be interested in having more affordable parking for their employees, let me know. If you can find a downtown apartment dweller that can give reliable directions to their friend on how to find vast quantities of inexpensive and convenient parking, since so little is available for visitors in their own building, let me know.

I'd be genuinely interested in hearing what such people have to say.

Psst...even if, in your [sarcasm]oh-so-humble[/sarcasm] opinion, I don't understand real estate, at least I can spell it. That counts for more than your petty insults.

Edited by TheNiche

This will be awesome, I kinda' wished they'd put up a webcam so we can watch it in real time as well as updated pictures.

They totally covered up the street level viewability of the site which irritates me, but totally understandable. It seems to be moving along quite nicely, though.

• 4 months later...

I am not sure if this has been posted before, but I just noticed this timetable on the park's website. It says that the garage opens in Nov, before the rest of the park, and then the restaurant opens in Dec. The park itself opens in Jan.

• December 2004 Land Acquired

• July 2005 Design Begun

• January 2006 City Garage & Funding Approved

• August 2006 Name the Park Contest Begun

• September 2006 Garage Excavation Begun

• October 2006 Park Construction Begun

• October 2006 Groundbreaking Ceremony

Name Announcement

• November 2007 Garage Opens

• December 2007 Destination Restaurant Opens

• January 2008 Park Opens

• March 1, 2008 Opening Festival

I also noticed there's going to be an indoor/outdoor reading room with free WiFi. Interesting...

Edited by Jax

I am not sure if this has been posted before, but I just noticed this timetable on the park's website. It says that the garage opens in Nov, before the rest of the park, and then the restaurant opens in Dec. The park itself opens in Jan.

yeah i drive by there everyday on the way to work - still looks like a lot of work to be done to meet that timeline, but i'm guessing the garage is probably the toughest part of all and the rain probably hasn't helped. some of the basic park structures are being built right now. i'm hoping they can meet that timeline, because jan 2008 seems like its just around the corner.

I love the canopy the oaks form. It reminds me of the Rice Campus / North Blvd / parts of Hermann Park.

The hell with Rice, the canopy reminds me of UH! (yes, it's football season again...just getting my Rice-bashing warmed up for the Bayou Bucket).

Time for ol' faithful: RICE SUCKS!!! ;)

Anyhow...back on topic, the park's website actually describes the photo above as the concrete base for the Oak Alley. I don't know what the final surface will be...

Edited by Original Timmy Chan's

The hell with Rice, the canopy reminds me of UH! (yes, it's football season again...just getting my Rice-bashing warmed up for the Bayou Bucket).

I haven't been on the UH campus enough to comment on it, but the few times I've driven by I saw lots of nice trees but I didn't remember that sort of canopy effect. I should really go there and walk around one day.

I can not respond with an appropriately obscene comment at this time because I am at work, but you can be assured that it'd be funny and a little disgusting.

:lol: I had the same thought, BUT i am NOT at work............but i will let you have it since you got to it first!

m. B)

Edited by marc

Man, what's up with the hostility towards other universities in Houston? If UH people would rather me remain ignorant about UH then maybe that's what I should do. I really have no reason to go there besides trying to keep an open mind and see how nice your campus is. I know you're half joking but this university hostility thing seems kind of childish to me. I gave up on that when I was in high school.

I haven't been on the UH campus enough to comment on it, but the few times I've driven by I saw lots of nice trees but I didn't remember that sort of canopy effect. I should really go there and walk around one day.

If you're going to head over to UH, don't forget your bulletproof vest. The 3rd Ward isn't a pleasant place to stroll around in.

Sincerely,

Rice fan :D

If you're going to head over to UH, don't forget your bulletproof vest. The 3rd Ward isn't a pleasant place to stroll around in.

I personally haven't run into any trouble down there. I have a friend who lives nearby, on the other side of I-45, on Rusk. It's actually a good (though, maybe not in some traditional senses) neighborhood that is simply in need of some fixing up. Isn't the light rail supposed to go down that way, anyway?

Sincerely,

Rice fan :D

If you're ever in Valhalla, don't let it slip out that you don't watch Star Trek. I barely got out of there alive one night when I mentioned that I don't care for Star Trek...not even the Next Generation. ;)

And if you do wander around Rice's campus, you do have to watch your back for roving gangs of menacing drunk geeks on bikes! They're VERY DANGEROUS!!!

...and this one night at NOD, I think I was sexually harassed! :o

Jax...this is just "brotherly love" between UH and Rice. I think the nerds are just jealous of all us good looking, popular UH alums.

nerds.jpg

I once took a wrong turn on the way to pick up some friends at U of H and I ended up driving through some kind of shanty town with people just laying in the grass and sidewalks, and they yelled at me as I drove by, and that was kind of weird. But another time I drove by U of H and went through some really nice neighborhoods. So I guess I kind of understand where that comment came from. There are definitely some areas to avoid.