Discovery Green Park At 1500 McKinney St.

c4smok

I think Discovery Green will be a great park. When they named Hermann Park, did anyone have reservations about that name? Probably.

i *hope* it will be a great park. just seems a little gimmicky (especially with the name choice).

and about hermann park - since george hermann donated the 445 acre land to the city, it seems kind of appropriate

Edited by sevfiv

I just don't see this as being a place for "all Houstonians" like it's being sold.

I am better off sticking with the parks near me.

Why would I want to hang out in a tiny park in front of a hotel and convention center?

I have a feeling we'll all be better off if you stick to the parks near you. ;-) Nobody is going to try to force you to go to Discovery Green.

I find it amazing that they had some contest for naming this park and they pick "Discovery Green"? Its just a name and probably doesn't really matter but really, Discovery Green?

Discovery alone wuuld have been more appropriate. Discovery Green makes me think kids putt putt.

I just don't see this as being a place for "all Houstonians" like it's being sold.

I am better off sticking with the parks near me.

Why would I want to hang out in a tiny park in front of a hotel and convention center?

We should call it Discovery Zone and add a pizza joint.

How would you suggest a park be built for "all Houstonians?" I think it's a great idea, a great addition to our city, and will in time bring in new development on the east side of downtown.

I'm so surprised that everyone is trying to find fault with a park that replaces concrete in downtown Houston, how is this a bad thing? I see nothing but positives.

Well we all paid for it. ...

This park is hype.

Funny, I don't see your name on the Contributors list:

Partners and Contributors

Discovery Green's generous partners and contributors.

Major Founding Donors

The Brown Foundation, Inc. $10,000,000

Houston Endowment Inc. $10,000,000

Kinder Foundation $10,000,000

Wortham Foundation $5,000,000

Major Donors

Anheuser-Busch Foundation $1,500,000

The Fondren Foundation $1,500,000

The Cullen Foundation $1,500,000

John P. McGovern Foundation $1,500,000

Fayez Sarofim $1,000,000

Bonnie and David Weekley $1,000,000

The Williams Stmps Farish Fund $1,000,000

Significant Donors

Bracewell & Giuliani LLP In-kind

James A. Elkins, Jr. Family $500,000

Cherie and Jim Flores $500,000

Rockwell Fund,Inc. $500,000

Vinson & Elkins LLP In-kind

Mr. and Mrs. John H. Lindsey $325,000

Cemex, USA In-kind

The Gordon and Mary Cain Foundation $250,000

Cornelia and Meredith Long $250,000

H. John and Diane M. Riley $250,000

Waste Management, Inc. $250,000

Kelly and Lily Kinder $200,000

Maconda Brown O'Connor $175,000

Merrill Lynch & Co. $150,000

Cooper Industries $100,000

Harriet and Joe Foster $100,000

The Houston Astros $100,000

CenterPoint Energy $100,000

Robert R. and Kay M. Onstead Foundation $100,000

Scurlock Foundation $100,000

The Matthew and Ellen Simmons Family $100,000

Susan Vaughn Foundation $100,000

Devon Energy Corporation $75,000

Locke Liddell & Sapp LLP/The Kayser

Foundation/The Love Foundation

$51,000

E. Rudge Allen Family $50,000

Compass Bank $50,000

Charles C. Foster $50,000

Hagstette Family $50,000

Ann Lents and J. David Heaney $50,000

Frank J. Hevrdejs $50,000

The Powell Foundation $50,000

Lynda and Bill Transier $30,000

Weil, Gotschal & Manges LLP $30,000

Burguieres Family Foundation $25,000

Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P. $25,000

JS Martin Associates L.P. $25,000

Tessie and Dudley Crosswell/Mandey and Ginger Elsenbrook/Winston Gibson/Abbey and Issie $25,000

McGee/Moet and Chandon Thomas $25,000

Beverly and Staman Ogilvie $25,000

Scott E. Rozzell $25,000

Chris and Don Sanders $25,000

Louisa S. Sarofim/The Brown Foundation, Inc. $25,000

Trinidad Mendenhall Sosa $25,000

Greg and Gretchen Tharp $25,000

Wachovia Securities $25,000

Wells Fargo $25,000

The West Endowment $25,000

Donors

AIM Investments $20,000

Goldman Sachs $15,000

Virginia and L.E. Simmons Foundation $15,000

The Coneway Family Foundation $10,000

PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP $10,000

Cushman & Wakefield $5,000

Susie and Joe Dilg $5,000

Patti and Richard Everett $5,000

Katie and Pat Oxford $5,000

Roy Huffington $1,000

Pavers

Sheryl Johns $800

Memorials and Honorariums

Sheryl Johns $800

George P. Mitchell $500

Houston Architecture Foundation $500

Nancy Kinder $250

Pam Brasseux $100

Sara Cizik $100

Peggy Menchaca $100

Nancy Pittman $100

TOTAL $48,109,450

Campaign Goal $52,000,000

Amount to Raise ($3,890,550)

How would you suggest a park be built for "all Houstonians?" I think it's a great idea, a great addition to our city, and will in time bring in new development on the east side of downtown.

I'm so surprised that everyone is trying to find fault with a park that replaces concrete in downtown Houston, how is this a bad thing? I see nothing but positives.

Sure, maybe the name could be better, but for the most part I agree - I think this is a great thing for downtown. I'm really surprised at all of these negative comments.

Yeah while it might not suit ALL Houstonians it is going to improve that side of downtown. I thought Minute Maid, Toyota Center and the Hilton helped, but this should give people going downtown for a ballgame a reason to get there a little bit early... also an additional selling point for trying to get another Super Bowl too since it's right in front of the GRB...

Personally I want to use the putting green... not planning on getting a remote-controlled boat though!

funny enough, the area where the park is/will be apparently used to be heavily automotive-related places (car shops, a bumper factory, taxi garage).

as far as the shape of the park, and how it forces mckinney and lamar to abut walker and dallas, it should be named "bottleneck park" or "bell jar park" :D

and i kind of like a park being named "park." why not?

it will replace some surface parking, but a little less than i thought:

4goyec0.jpg43wzhub.jpg

For those in question about a park that "Brings all Houstonians Together", we already have 3...

Hermann Park

Eleanor Tinsley Park

Memorial Park

The name is horrible. "Discovery Green". What a joke, the name belongs in the kid's "Discovery" section at the zoo. We're not too great at naming stuff that will be said on a daily basis.

funny enough, the area where the park is/will be apparently used to be heavily automotive-related places (car shops, a bumper factory, taxi garage).

as far as the shape of the park, and how it forces mckinney and lamar to abut walker and dallas, it should be named "bottleneck park" or "bell jar park" :D

and i kind of like a park being named "park." why not?

it will replace some surface parking, but a little less than i thought:

4goyec0.jpg43wzhub.jpg

As shown in your posted photos, the park is not forcing McKinney and Lamar to abut Walker and Dallas. Those streets have been like that for many many years.

For those in question about a park that "Brings all Houstonians Together", we already have 3...

Hermann Park

Eleanor Tinsley Park

Memorial Park

The name is horrible. "Discovery Green". What a joke, the name belongs in the kid's "Discovery" section at the zoo. We're not too great at naming stuff that will be said on a daily basis.

That's why people will end up calling it "The Green". I'd feel stupid calling someone to meet me at Discovery Green for lunch. "Oh Norbert? Would you be ever so nice and meet meet at Discovery Green for lunchon?"

Uh Uh..."Hey Bill! Meet me at The Green at 12 and I'll let you buy me lunch."

I think it is unusual, but forgetting the name and focusing on the park: trees, a small lake, fountains, amphitheater, dog run, plus a 501 ft tower (One Park Tower) downtown means a lot to me. If you don't want to go down there, fine. I will bring my dog to this park. I can't wait! B)

With all the rain we've had this week, GREEN it will be. :lol:

Edited by houstonfella

If you don't want to go down there, fine. I will bring my dog to this park.

bring your pooper scooper too. I HATE dog ____ at parks. My mom took a class at Cherryhurst Park and couldn't believe how the "younger residents" didn't care and just left the ____ there.

bring your pooper scooper too. I HATE dog ____ at parks. My mom took a class at Cherryhurst Park and couldn't believe how the "younger residents" didn't care and just left the ____ there.

Ahhh yes, Cherryhurst....do I have a good one for you: I had a good friend-R.I.P.- who lived in a townhouse on Yupon. Almost everyday after work he'd find a pile of poop on his little square of grass. One day he was home sick and saw who was bringing their dog over to deposit it's load. A few days later he scooped up that day's poop, took it to the guy's home, dumped it on his threshold, rang the doorbell and politly told him he was returning what his dog lost. That was the end of having the guy who lived on the park with the biggest yard dumping dog s__it on my friend's little square of grass.

As shown in your posted photos, the park is not forcing McKinney and Lamar to abut Walker and Dallas. Those streets have been like that for many many years.

not sure how many years, or if it's really important (?), but from memory the 1950s-ish maps had the parallel streets...

my point was that it made an interesting shape, for whatever reason the streets were skewed - if anyone knows when or why that happened, please share!

my point was that it made an interesting shape, for whatever reason the streets were skewed - if anyone knows when or why that happened, please share!

You are correct that the streets were on the grid. That was interrupted by the multi block long GHB. The streets were realigned to merge with Dallas and Walker, thus creating the "super block."