Discovery Green Park At 1500 McKinney St.

c4smok

The groundbreaking scared me half to death today....

I come back from lunch, and am flossing my teeth in my office and all of a sudden, I hear what seemed to be two rockets, and BOOOM. I jump out of my chair, and look out the window, and see two big clouds of smoke. LOL I just remembered they were having the ceremony today, anyways, just thought I would share that, I am cracking up laughing now.

There were only about 30 or 40 people down there for the ceremony today.

Anyone know what the name is yet?

Edited by Daniepwils

When they announce who submitted the winning entry.. we are So TP'ing his house !!

I think it was a "her" that won--a Kim Borja with Pappas Restaurants. It's nothing against her--consultants hired by the Conservancy picked the name, I think. There's just something about Houston and trusting consultants to have all the answers...

Plain 'ol "discovery Park" would have been better--I agree. Or, they could have just swapped names with Tranquility Park. Discovery Green just sound too...small...for a 12-acre downtown park. It's not a bad name, but I just think that it would have been better suited for a smaller pocket type park.

"Discovery Green"

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4265563.html

Kinda gay...

Discovery is boring but tolerable... hopefully "Green" doesnt catch on..

I like it. This "Green" needs to be a unique place for Houstonians. I don't think "<fill in your choice> Park" would be very exciting. "Discovery Green" is a nod to our fair city's space history as well as a being a traditional term (Green). "<fill in your choice> Park" could be forgotten, glossed over, I don't think Discovery Green will.

Maybe they'll yank the rights from the Cafe Annie folks and give it to Fertitta...

Tillman can then salvage the Looping Starship from Astroworld for our new Discovery Green. Wrap it in green neon so we can have both sides of downtown covered.

Not a bad idea. Add some attraction to Downtown Green. It wouldn't hurt :).