Discovery Green Park At 1500 McKinney St.

c4smok

Being downtown last night (Carlos Mencia rocked!), I noticed that they closed off Crawford where at where the park is supposed to be at.

seems silly to have just a block of Crawford between the arena and the park. But it is handy, to zoom around the hotel if you miss it, I guess.

Was he sold out?

My office over looks this. And as of yesterday they started. They have taken down the light posts in the park that is already there, and have started tearing up the parking lot (well one of them). And have removed the bushes that surroneded the parking lot, they have also fenced in the area.

SO MAYBE they will be done by January, I think. It looks like they are going to build a parking garage underndeath the park, that might take awhile.

My office over looks this. And as of yesterday they started. They have taken down the light posts in the park that is already there, and have started tearing up the parking lot (well one of them). And have removed the bushes that surroneded the parking lot, they have also fenced in the area.

SO MAYBE they will be done by January, I think. It looks like they are going to build a parking garage underndeath the park, that might take awhile.

Cool, thanks for the update. On their site it says the official groundbreaking is 16 Oct. So it looks like they're rolling along to make that date

OH WOW Thank you Houstonian in Iraq

for this link:

http://www.richmondrail.org/blogs/

I have to do a rhetorical paper on the Light Rail in Richmond, and I am still pondering the pro's and con's of which side to take in my paper. This website is pretty good research.

>:)

Don't thank me. I think nmguy or Red originally brought it to everyone's attention. I just kept it to spread support for rail down Richmond.

Richmond is the perfect choice (my 2 cents). I understand the construction process will be almost unbearable for those folks over there. But if they hang, they are going to have a beautiful rail system like the one going from downtown to Reliant in a few years. That will make that area very mobile and you can go from Galleria to lots of places. Now can you imagine tearing up Post Oak? :lol:

This is about the downtown park and I'm totally pumped about this project. You'd be surprised how fast they can dig down there and get a garage done. In my area of town there were thick woods. In weeks they are pouring cement for a large school. I was amazed at how construction can be so fast. B)

Edited by houstonfella

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Pictures as of 10-9/10-2006

Great pics - THANKS! It looks like they are trying to save some of the larger trees. I'm glad to see that. Overall, I think this is a great addition to downtown - especially with the Park Tower going in. Lots of great things happening in downtown now. :)

I had no idea that they'd cleared that much land thus far. I've not been on that side of Houston Center for weeks. Really starts to give you a better idea of the layout's size in relationship to HC and the GRB.

Also, note some of the new construction and renovation projects going on in the warehouse district on the other side of the elevated 59. With some dilligence, that area has as much potential as Midtown, if not more.

Edited by The Great Hizzy!

I had no idea that they'd cleared that much land thus far. I've not been on that side of Houston Center for weeks. Really starts to give you a better idea of the layout's size in relationship to HC and the GRB.

Also, note some of the new construction and renovation projects going on in the warehouse district on the other side of the elevated 59. With some dilligence, that area has as much potential as Midtown, if not more.

Bingo, but I already see some signs on lots for strip centers by JETALL.

With some dilligence, that area has as much potential as Midtown, if not more.

And that is a real problem if you ask me.

Houston has "pockets of greatness" everywhere you look but everything is really just 1/2 done at most.

I'd love to see a part of town go from "concept to completion".

Yes, they are saving the majority of the trees. It was really interesting in how they moved them. They dug out the circumference of the tree, then wrapped it in, well, a heavy duty saran-wrap; then had this HUGE claw thing come in and pick them up and place them in a cluster with all the other trees.

They have dug about 15 feet under ground, the pictures really don't show that; but if you look close, the trucks are at least 9-10ft tall, and look how down in the dirt they are.

This is just after a month of working (I wish I had a pre work picture).

The first day they came in with tractors that had huge arms/claws, and knocked down all the lamp post, was the funniest thing I have ever seen. Just seemed like something a three year old would do with a construction set.

All the woman at my office make fun of me because I seem to "into" the construction (I think its a guy thing).

Yes, they are saving the majority of the trees. It was really interesting in how they moved them. They dug out the circumference of the tree, then wrapped it in, well, a heavy duty saran-wrap; then had this HUGE claw thing come in and pick them up and place them in a cluster with all the other trees.

They have dug about 15 feet under ground, the pictures really don't show that; but if you look close, the trucks are at least 9-10ft tall, and look how down in the dirt they are.

This is just after a month of working (I wish I had a pre work picture).

The first day they came in with tractors that had huge arms/claws, and knocked down all the lamp post, was the funniest thing I have ever seen. Just seemed like something a three year old would do with a construction set.

All the woman at my office make fun of me because I seem to "into" the construction (I think its a guy thing).

I did not realize how many large oaks there were in that part of town. Great news that they are keeping them. Even greater, the park is getting built with underground parking. B):wub: