Discovery Green Park At 1500 McKinney St.

c4smok

I think it should be something plain and simple like "Comfort Park". I think it's kinda catchy. I can see it now, "Oh yeah, we are having a soccer match at the CP", or "Let's meet today for lunch at Comfort Park". It could work.

By the way, if someone would like to use the idea to submit, by all means. Dinner and Astro's gear isn't quite enough to get me excited enough to submit it.

I put in an entry. I think "Magnolia Point Park" would be a pretty good name, and very representative of our city. It's simple, and it isn't named after anyone, but the magnolia is indigenous to Houston--and its petals, or "points" are representative of all of our different cultures, ethnicities, and nationalities. It's a very hearty tree with many different species. It would be an easy-to-remember name, has potential for branding, and, well, hopefully they'll frickin' plant some magnolias. :lol:

Not sure about a possible historic name. I like a name like Tranquility Park which time-stamps the park and causes it to gradually develop a historic patina which should become more and more appreciated with each passing generation.

Maybe something classy sounding like Renaissance Park, since it really symbolizes the rebirth of DT and the City's commitment to that. Spelling would be a problem though.

I think it should be something plain and simple like "Comfort Park". I think it's kinda catchy. I can see it now, "Oh yeah, we are having a soccer match at the CP", or "Let's meet today for lunch at Comfort Park". It could work.

By the way, if someone would like to use the idea to submit, by all means. Dinner and Astro's gear isn't quite enough to get me excited enough to submit it.

While I'm not sold specifically on Comfort Park, I do agree in the let's keep it simple idea. I've always thought it odd that the city didn't have a major park named after Roy Hoffheinz so I imagine he would be a candidate if you were to want to name the park after some notable figure in the city's history.

I like Jesse H. Jones Park.

I have a strong bias toward business-related naming, rather than naming it after political figureheads. Houston is all about business...even the politicians are all about business...so lets give business the credit it deserves. If not named for a business leader, then name it with the energy industry in mind. Hydrocarbon Park, Roughneck Park, or Wildcatter Park would be very suitable.

The following idea might not work for this specific park, but I think that it'd have a place at Market Square if that one ever gets significantly updated: place a large pump jack on a pedestal at the center of the park. Turn it on to make it appear as though it is producing (even though it wouldn't be). Instead of the typical park benches, have a sculptor string together a number of contorted tubes reminicent of refineries' complex equipment.

I like Jesse H. Jones Park.

I have a strong bias toward business-related naming, rather than naming it after political figureheads. Houston is all about business...even the politicians are all about business...so lets give business the credit it deserves. If not named for a business leader, then name it with the energy industry in mind. Hydrocarbon Park, Roughneck Park, or Wildcatter Park would be very suitable.

The following idea might not work for this specific park, but I think that it'd have a place at Market Square if that one ever gets significantly updated: place a large pump jack on a pedestal at the center of the park. Turn it on to make it appear as though it is producing (even though it wouldn't be). Instead of the typical park benches, have a sculptor string together a number of contorted tubes reminicent of refineries' complex equipment.

It has a ring to it Niche.

"Petrol Park".

He has his own performance hall. That's enough, in my opinion.

But, thinking of some business leaders here, how about Howard Hughes Park? Or Red Adair Park?

Maybe it's too soon for a McIngvale Park.

i'm cool with howard or red's name up there!

Montrose1100:

It has a ring to it Niche.

"Petrol Park".

Sounds too much like Petco Park. The name of the MLB stadium; I forgot for which team. Petco Park is the most awful name for a studium, in my opinion.

The Great Hizzy!

I've always thought it odd that the city didn't have a major park named after Roy Hoffheinz so I imagine he would be a candidate if you were to want to name the park after some notable figure in the city's history.

I would like the name Hoffheinz for the Astrodome hotel. The Hoffheinz Hotel.

Sounds too much like Petco Park. The name of the MLB stadium; I forgot for which team. Petco Park is the most awful name for a studium, in my opinion.

I would like the name Hoffheinz for the Astrodome hotel. The Hoffheinz Hotel.

san diego padres

and is studium on purpose or one of those slips? :D

"The Target Center" in Minneapolis and "The Staples arena" are two examples of what could be worse.

Personally, MMP, has grown on me.

i will always be partial to the astrodome :blush:

nowadays, the worst for me (including petco) are U.S. Cellular Field (White Sox) and Safeco Field (Mariners)

Edited by sevfiv

I have a few:

Crawford Park

Columbia Park (in honor of the Space Shuttle obviously)

Park of the Americas

Texas Central

Monopoly Park :P

Downtown Oaks

Leeland Park (in honor of Mickey Leeland)

Perot Park (In honor of Kim Perot)

Armstrong Park (in honor of the first man on the moon..or Lance)

I'll post a few others later

Oh, and we should name the dog section after Bud Adams, since it will probably be full of crap :)

Edited by DJ V Lawrence

Montrose1100:

Just when I thought Minute Maid Park was holding the crown all along...

ricco67:

Personally, MMP, has grown on me.

I used to hate the name Minute Maid Park, but I've come to like it. I'm just thankful that we didn't end up with a worse names. Think of other stadium names out there. It could have been us.

I think there's a minor league field called Whataburger Field, there's also Home Depot Field. There are the numerous beer name stadiums which make me think of fat, unshaven, drunken men yelling loudly with their bad breath polluting the atmosphere. Yep, MMP's not that bad. It sounds healthy, refreshing and youthful. Plus, it's just plain adorable with its signature orange with leaves (but it's really a baseball!) emblem. So cute, just like the Astros players! Even though they're really bad and probably won't make it to the playoffs. Jason "Hearse" killed them dead last night. Thanks a lot.