Discovery Green Downtown Park Updates

Tejo

Yeah they kicked me out but at least they were nice about it. It's going to be nice, especially when the pond is complete, and leaves grow in on some of the non evergreen trees (I saw a few).

I'm also looking forward to walking up the small hill near the garage for a better view of the skyline. I think I read something about them having a few sculpted hills featuring skyline views. That's always appreciated in such a flat city.

Thanks for the photos. I too got kicked out of the park when i was in town on Saturday night. There was some event going on but i was still able to drive around and take a look at all the lighting effects of the park. It was really starting to come together. I hope they put blue lights in the pond when complete to hi-light the view of the pond at night . :)

One of those pictures reminds me a giant Rubics cube.

Rubik's restroom...? ;)

I was one who voted for a more zen park but I will say that I do like the current trend towards doing any city project as an art project, and this one is full of conversation pieces of that sort. I suppose even the homeless will blend in as objects of contemplation.

The guy who kicked me out of the park while I was taking pictures was actually really nice. He told me he wasn't sure everything would be ready for the March 1st event and that it would be fully open some time in April. He said he was hoping the stage would be ready but he wasn't even sure of that, and the concert might need to be held somewhere else. I'm hoping at least that much will be done.

By the way, those neon green trees look awesome!

Edited by Jax

I was there for the preview today and all I have to say is wow, it's nicer than I thought! It's also a bit larger than I first imagined. It really changes this side of downtown, hopefully we'll soon be rid of the "parking lot district." Here are a couple pictures from the hour I was there.

2303769492_5796bd4b0c_o.jpg

2303769358_e596f3399c_o.jpg

2303769206_475e4be463_o.jpg

2302971047_f104491038_o.jpg

2303768906_c90ffaa8f6_o.jpg

2303768790_a4c4cee694_o.jpg

Cool photos! I was there today as well, but it was before the concert started. It was 2 pm and most parts of the park were still closed, except for the path under the live oaks. I thought it was cool that there were actually people around sitting on the benches walking. I think they were just random hotel guests and convention goers, but that's a good sign. People seemed to be enjoying it more than the parking lots that it replaced!

Very nice pictures!

Is the giant Rubic's cube (I had the same thought!) really a public restroom? I remember visiting San Fran years ago and wishing we had those in Houston instead of the ever-so-classy Port-a-Potties.

Edited by skyphen

I like it, I was just driving by it. I was disappointed to see that the fence is still up and I guess it will remain so until they finish all of the construction.

I kinda' hoped they named a tree or two for Biggio and Bagwell along the jogging trail or something. I think that would be a nice dedication.

Has anyone been to the Grove patio for drinks? Can I ride my bike over in unfashionable shorts and t-shirt and go mingle for a refreshing vodka? I'd guess they don't care, being a park and all.

But it being cool and new in Houston, maybe I need to be on the guest list or something.

Has anyone been to the Grove patio for drinks? Can I ride my bike over in unfashionable shorts and t-shirt and go mingle for a refreshing vodka? I'd guess they don't care, being a park and all.

But it being cool and new in Houston, maybe I need to be on the guest list or something.

Also curious about the "Treehouse"... the roof bar on top of the Grove. Haven't heard anything about either. Anyone know if Treehouse is open?

been to the grove a few times at night, once for drinks, twice to eat - has always been more fashionable for the dinner crowd for sure. don't think the shorts and t shirt would do too well in the downstairs bar, but i think during the day that's probably different too.

the treehouse upstairs is pretty cool in my opinion. that deck is pretty large and its nice. one of the pics someone had was from the upstairs portion, and i can definitely see sitting out there during the day having a few drinks and it not being fancy at all.

the other part that i think opens soon (the lake house) will also have beer and wine and i think that is very casual over there too.

Also curious about the "Treehouse"... the roof bar on top of the Grove. Haven't heard anything about either. Anyone know if Treehouse is open?

Treehouse was open this past Saturday night, during the concert. Great view, tretcherous stairway to negotiate if one inbibes.

The park looks like it has a great deal of potential to become a draw for downtown. Among the attractions listed was "interactive water features", which I'm guessing means it's OK to pee in the fountains.

Anyone know the identity of the statue just outside the Grove? It's a dignified looking bronze man who appears to be playing pocket pool.

• The title was changed to Discovery Green Downtown Park Updates