Discovery Green Park At 1500 McKinney St.

c4smok

This ole tune of the park being overrun by the homeless is played out.....

Why?

Remember Bum Central.....otherwise known as Root Memorial Square? Since its rehab, the only people that inhabit the park are those who play pick-up games there on its court, like myself on occasion.

I havent seen a bum straggling this park not once. And that park takes up only a city block and doesnt have near as many amenities as this park has.

So if they cant even take over their former stomping grounds, what tells you its gonna happen with this new park? Nothing...nuff said.

This should end all of this "Bum" talk once and for all.

This ole tune of the park being overrun by the homeless is played out.....

Why?

Remember Bum Central.....otherwise known as Root Memorial Square? Since its rehab, the only people that inhabit the park are those who play pick-up games there on its court, like myself on occasion.

I havent seen a bum straggling this park not once. And that park takes up only a city block and doesnt have near as many amenities as this park has.

So if they cant even take over their former stomping grounds, what tells you its gonna happen with this new park? Nothing...nuff said.

I agree Root memorial park was a huge bum jamboree. I remember driving by and saw what looked like a festival then I noticed everyone there was a bum.

Root park did bring down the bum population there I'm sure this park won't be a bum haven either. Bums are a fact of life we will see some ......wait a minute....yeah that's it ....... :mellow: I just got over it :D

I think the park is great. It's very exciting times for the city right now and should continue over the next decade. A couple surface lots are being filled in with smaller projects already. Does the new park cover any surface lots?

Edited by Ethanra

I think the park is great. It's very exciting times for the city right now and should continue over the next decade. A couple surface lots are being filled in with smaller projects already. Does the new park cover any surface lots?

Yes, the park will cover approximately 2-3 blocks worth of surface lots

I agree they did a great job with Root Brown. Its really nice and I actually see people there at all hours of the day playing basketball, even pretty late at night around 10-ish. As for the bums not taking back over their stomping grounds, part of that is that I think there is a guard present at all times (or at least everytime I walk/ drive by). I don't know if the Rockets own the land or if its the city's, but the constant presence I think keeps away the bums.

I'm pretty sure all the bums that were at Root Brown are now the ones that are on congress.

I certainly do not want this to turn into a homeless thread, but since I office on Main, and work at the courthouses, one would think that if anyone has the opportunity to be assaulted by the homeless daily, it would be me. It doesn't happen. I recognize that some people have a lower threshold of tolerance for these things than I, but this is, after all, a DOWNTOWN park. I would suggest that those who get squeamish at seeing someone use a shopping cart improperly should find other parks to enjoy where you won't be bothered by this sort of thing. This is a somewhat free country, and in a somewhat free society, some things are less than perfect. Even The Woodlands has those pesky teenagers talking loudly, ruining their Monument to Suburban Shopping on occasion...or so they say.

I've done my part to improve downtown and Midtown. That's all I'll say.

The bums are not a problem. Sprinkler control is the most effective bum sweep there is.

I know many downtown bums. I see them everday. Chicken man, got change dude, have a good weekend dude. They are all harmless.

They are a different breed than the street crawlers you see in Midtown. They'll get you, sucka!

I know many downtown bums. I see them everday. Chicken man, got change dude, have a good weekend dude. They are all harmless.

They are a different breed than the street crawlers you see in Midtown. They'll get you, sucka!

You know, you're right. The Downtown bums have personality. They seem to know how to get a buck and not get arrested...basically, don't be threatening to the change givers. It's almost as if Downtown is "The Show" of Bumdom. :lol:

Midtown is Double A at best.

Edited by RedScare

I certainly do not want this to turn into a homeless thread, but since I office on Main, and work at the courthouses, one would think that if anyone has the opportunity to be assaulted by the homeless daily, it would be me. It doesn't happen. I recognize that some people have a lower threshold of tolerance for these things than I, but this is, after all, a DOWNTOWN park. I would suggest that those who get squeamish at seeing someone use a shopping cart improperly should find other parks to enjoy where you won't be bothered by this sort of thing. This is a somewhat free country, and in a somewhat free society, some things are less than perfect. Even The Woodlands has those pesky teenagers talking loudly, ruining their Monument to Suburban Shopping on occasion...or so they say.

Well said... and I would also suggest those people that think, or have concerns, that the new downtown park will be a new homeless encampment should 1) call the Downtown Park Conservancy and discuss the issue with them or 2) talk to the project architects and the maintenance coordinators. As I mentioned before, there was a large portion of the presentation on Tuesday dedicated to the subject. It was open to all.

But, I guess by showing concern through responsible actions, people wouldn't get to speculate or immediately trash what is an exciting new development for our city. Or show their intolerance for people in a different socio-economic, physical, or mental state than themselves. As the saying goes, if you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

Ok, back to the park. Did I say I thought it was going to be a great addition to downtown!?

I'm not saying that the bums are out to get someone. You are right in that it is a free country. I understand that it will be an urban park.

However, in going back to the ordinance thing - if it says no camping, then they need to enforce it. If its stated you cannot approach certain locations to panhandle, then they need to enforce it. If its an ordinance that you can't sleep on the sidewalk, again, enforce it. Maybe the bums don't intend to do harm. I get that. But it gets old of everytime you stop to get gas or go to a bar with an outdoor patio, sure enough you get hit up for change. I don't think anyone is really picturing the great day when they are reading on the Great Lawn of the new park and some bum comes by to beg for money.

In downtown, i think the most popular story going is that they're just trying to get a bus ticket to go see their kid. the first time I heard it, it sounded logical. The 5th time, not so much.

i am cautiously optimistic about the park (and that's good coming from me :D)

and about bums...they're everywhere, but there's a larger concentration right around chartes and pease/leeland - kind of reminded me of portland's chinatown :mellow:

But it gets old of everytime you stop to get gas or go to a bar with an outdoor patio, sure enough you get hit up for change. I don't think anyone is really picturing the great day when they are reading on the Great Lawn of the new park and some bum comes by to beg for money.

In downtown, i think the most popular story going is that they're just trying to get a bus ticket to go see their kid. the first time I heard it, it sounded logical. The 5th time, not so much.

OK, let's just agree that you are a bum magnet. I've been Downtown for 10 years, and can't recall ever being hit up for change at a patio bar. And, if a bum ever used the "trying to see my kid" line on me, I'd laugh at him. MY bums are intelligent. "Any change today, sir?" If I feel like it, I toss them a quarter or two. If not, I say, "Not today."

I do get tired of them constantly blessing me, though, since I am agnostic. But, that is no more annoying than everyone constantly blessing America.

i am cautiously optimistic about the park (and that's good coming from me :D)

and about bums...they're everywhere, but there's a larger concentration right around chartes and pease/leeland - kind of reminded me of portland's chinatown :mellow:

What????? The Perfectland, I mean, Portland has bums?? :o

In the lawn between One and Two Allen Center.

yeah, what he said :blush:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ent/ar...rt/3807743.html

Paul Kittelson's Disappearing Gnomes are located in the Courtyard between One and Two Allen Center off Smith Street.
i took a sculpture class from kittelson a while back at UH - neat guy
What????? The Perfectland, I mean, Portland has bums?? :o

i know, right?! :D

they are conveniently concentrated on the northeast section of downtown, a little east of the "chinatown gateway" arches.

OK, let's just agree that you are a bum magnet. I've been Downtown for 10 years, and can't recall ever being hit up for change at a patio bar. And, if a bum ever used the "trying to see my kid" line on me, I'd laugh at him. MY bums are intelligent. "Any change today, sir?" If I feel like it, I toss them a quarter or two. If not, I say, "Not today."

I do get tired of them constantly blessing me, though, since I am agnostic. But, that is no more annoying than everyone constantly blessing America.

Really? never? Try going to the saucer on a weeknight after the sun goes down. In Midtown, that Chevron near Spec's and Front Porch are usually popular spots to get hit up at. I know, I know, here it comes - if you don't like it, just don't go there.

Anyway, I'm done on the bum topic for today - almost time for lunch, and I have a few quarters to help someone since they "just got out of jail and am trying to get home"

Everyone has very good points as far as bum control, it would be a wise thing if the police at at least a staging area for their cars at various parts of the park to sit there while they do their paperwork or maybe even a kiosk. That should help with the bum issue.

In regards to the jogging trail, come on! Ever been to memorial park? how many people actually JOG as opposed to WALK?? I think it would be a good area for people to "walk" on their lunch hours.

Everyone has very good points as far as bum control, it would be a wise thing if the police at at least a staging area for their cars at various parts of the park to sit there while they do their paperwork or maybe even a kiosk. That should help with the bum issue.

In regards to the jogging trail, come on! Ever been to memorial park? how many people actually JOG as opposed to WALK?? I think it would be a good area for people to "walk" on their lunch hours.

Does GRB Convention Center have a mini-HPD station in it? If not, I think the park should have one.

A few observations......

1. The park WILL have a Dog Park.....just a lot smaller. It will be along the Oak Aelee near the main eentrence to the park by the Mist Tree.

Does GRB Convention Center have a mini-HPD station in it? If not, I think the park should have one.

2. There will be a secruity kiosk by the fountains and cafe.....this should also help reduce the bum population at the park

3. The biggest observation of all....a few months ago, we learned that the parcel of land that sits directly west of the park, jammed in beween the the park and "The Park Shops," was purchased and that the length of the lease suggests that some sort of development will take place there, most likely a high-rise residential component.

In the the overhead rendering, there is building depicted there....in quite detail....perhaps too much to just dismiss it off as an inclusion to suggest future development, like the other buildings that flank the park, which are drawn in less detail.

Does the project manager and/or the architect know something in regards to the future development of the city block that sits in such a prime location? Maybe....time will tell.

Also a suggestion.......If Crawford Street is going to be closed to traffic thrugh the park permanantly, the street also needs to be closed just south of the park as well. It runs for only one block before Toyota Center blocks it off completely, making this small strip of road nearly useless due to its pattern of flow and streets around it. If this street is closed, it opens up the opportunity to link Toyota Center to the park via the Crawford St Promanade, making the park's parking garage's an attractable parking option and increasing people traffic in the park. Also it could spawn the opportunity for expansion of the Convention Center Hotel westward or development on the block west of the hotel. IIRC, I believe the site is occupied by a power plant, which needs to moved from such a prime development location anyways. The City of Houston needs to seriously consider this idea.

Final Site Plan

Web_Siteplan-Final_800w.jpg

Major natural features include:

Great Lawn - A two-acre expanse of grass providing dramatic views of the skyline.

Oak Promenade - A shaded walk lined with 100-year-old live oak trees.

Urban Garden - More than an acre of flowering trees, plants, fountains and art.

Pond - A one-acre body of water lined with native and wetland plants.

Natural Gardens - Wetland and upland areas extending the length of the park

Land Forms - Several sculpted highpoints that will offer views of downtown.

Tree Alees - Tree-shaded walks to the pond and children

Edited by tigereye

It's actually a substation, and it is not owned by the city so I believe there is little they can do. I agree that it has to go. The costs associatedwith moving it under ground are probably astronomical and only work in cities like NY. The only hope of it going anywhere is when land values increase such that the company is compelled to sell and move to another location. I will say that as substations go, it is dressed up quite nice. It has decorative lighting that changes color and actually adds to the street scape at ground level.

Edited by SMUrban

I'm really not crazy about the idea of a dog area. There'll be wiz all over the place and it'll smell like madness.

There will only be wiz in the very, very small dog area-not "all over the place".

The way to avoid the dog wiz is to not go to the very, very small dog area.

There will only be wiz in the very, very small dog area-not "all over the place".

The way to avoid the dog wiz is to not go to the very, very small dog area.

Yes, everyone knows big dogs do not wiz.

Oh, and Kimberley, what DOES Madness smell like?

madness-one-step-beyond.jpg

Edited by RedScare