Discovery Green Park At 1500 McKinney St.

c4smok

By diminishing the revenue that can be had by operating surface parking lots, land prices can be lowered to the point that (at least on the margin) surface parking lots are no longer the highest and best uses of land.

If that's the thought process that went into this park idea, then I think whoever came up with this one is an absolute genius. It's sort of like a subsidy, except it's revenue-producing, and everyone gets a park out of it! Brilliant!

I appreciate 19514's posts. He seems thoughtful and connected and uses factual information to back up his posts. More people should try that route...

As for parks with underground parking and "busy" amenities, just look to Boston.

The Boston Common is the nation's oldest public park. It has 3 levels of underground parking, tennis courts, a softball diamond, a dog run, two stops for the T, a frog pond that is used for iceskating in the winter, a pavilion that hosts movies and plays during the summer months, a gazebo used for demonstrations and a great lawn expanse. Across the street lies the Boston Public Garden with gardens, a pond with the famous "Swan Boat" tours, walking paths, and statues.

I am not sure why a city like Boston can embrace such a park but in Houston, it's a boondoggle, a worhtless endeavour, a waste of tax payer money, a pipe dream, and all the other things it has been called. Sigh.

I am not sure why a city like Boston can embrace such a park but in Houston, it's a boondoggle, a worhtless endeavour, a waste of tax payer money, a pipe dream, and all the other things it has been called. Sigh.

I agree, KinkaidAlum. Reading these forums is a perfect cure for anybody who is too positive or optimistic about life. The pessimism and bitterness out here is unbelievable!

Back to the topic ...

Build the park. Make it big. Fill it with a variety of things to do. Provide plenty of parking that properly balances the need for parking with the needs of the trees and vegetation.

How about this? Underneath some of the larger trees, build hollow glass columns that extended down into the garage. People can get a subterranean view of the park with a close up look at the roots.

I agree, KinkaidAlum. Reading these forums is a perfect cure for anybody who is too positive or optimistic about life. The pessimism and bitterness out here is unbelievable!

Back to the topic ...

Build the park. Make it big. Fill it with a variety of things to do. Provide plenty of parking that properly balances the need for parking with the needs of the trees and vegetation.

How about this? Underneath some of the larger trees, build hollow glass columns that extended down into the garage. People can get a subterranean view of the park with a close up look at the roots.

I'm all for optimism, but you do realize that the dirt surrounding roots is opaque, right?

Back on topic, judging from his response, I guess Houston19514 is all up Mr. Finger's butt for some odd reason.

Do you work for Mr. Fringer?

Yes, you are quite the slave master. Telling people to scorll up, don't repat things, read the entire thread, etc.

Lighten up, Francis.

Coog, read some of the remarks made by other people on this forum. You're not taking the hint.

If you don't stop the name-calling and insulting remarks, the editor's going to come down on you. We don't want to lose good members because of your antics.

Back on topic, judging from his response, I guess Houston19514 is all up Mr. Finger's butt for some odd reason.

Do you work for Mr. Fringer?

Yes, you are quite the slave master. Telling people to scorll up, don't repat things, read the entire thread, etc.

Lighten up, Francis.

Coog, read some of the remarks made by other people on this forum. You're not taking the hint.

If you don't stop the name-calling and insulting remarks, the editor's going to come down on you. We don't want to lose good members because of your antics.

Ditto, Coog. I really appreciate your input around here, as you're one of our biggest posters, but I think you should check your daily intake of sugar. Try to tone it down a bit. Personal attacks, name calling, and insults are not what this web site is for. Just take a deep breath before you hit that "Reply" button.

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody have an update on the park? According to their website they should be going out to bid fairly soon, if not already, and construction is to commence this summer and finishing Fall '07. I'd expect to see a final site plan before they go out to bid, right?

This info is from 3rd Coast at SSP.

Schiller Del Grande Restaurant Group

Chosen to Operate Two Restaurants for the Downtown Park

HOUSTON, TX April 26, 2006 The Houston Downtown Park Conservancy today announced that Schiller Del Grande Restaurant Group will join the Conservancy to operate two restaurants and oversee other food and beverage venues in the new downtown park an almost 12-acre green space scheduled to open in late 2007 adjacent to the George R. Brown Convention Center.

Schiller Del Grande Restaurant Group has built a national culinary reputation at Cafe Annie and the less formal Bar Annie. They were also forerunners in the

No one opinion is bad. I don't have any real use for carousels but they don't offend me either.

If the park is designed for people of all ages, then Kimberly may have a valid point. Parents like having things like carousels available to share with their kids.

I doubt that add one, though. Space seems limited and a carousel probably isn't a priority, especially if they want to make the park a draw for urbanists who would presumably consider living in residential structures built near the park.

For some reason I was thought Kimberly mentioned ferris wheel rather than carousel. On the other hand I have seen some pretty classy carousels in Europe.

concur with carousel. they could have reused the one from astroworld. It was an antique.

concur with carousel. they could have reused the one from astroworld. It was an antique.

It was also refurbished in 98, I forget how old it was.

Isn't there already a carousel in downtown at the aquarium? I could be wrong it's been years since I last been

Edited by Houstonian in Iraq

H-Town Man:

I'll never forget the carousel scene at the end of Catcher in the Rye. Sometimes a carousel can be just the thing to stamp a lifelong memory of a place on a person. They also offer a kind of classic look.

That's what I was thinking. They provide a kind of old-fashioned charm.

There's an episode of "The Twilight Zone" I was thinking of that had a prominent scene with a carousoul in a park. It turned out to be one of the more sentimental episodes. And then there's the great carousel wreck scene from "Strangers on a Train". :lol: