Discovery Green Park At 1500 McKinney St.

c4smok

From Wikipedia:

"In any climate, an arena ice surface can be installed in a properly built space. This consists of a bed of sand, or occasionally a slab of concrete, through (or on top of) which pipes run. The pipes carry a chilled fluid (usually either a salt brine or water with antifreeze) which can lower the temperature of the slab so that water placed atop it will freeze. Such rinks were developed in the late nineteenth century, the first being the Glaciarium in London."

Full article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_rink

If one considers that the Galleria and Toyota Center ice rinks exist in an environment of approximately 72 degrees, an outdoor rink in the winter time generally would be no warmer.

I drove by there last week and was surprised at how much work is left to be done. It still doesn't look like a park yet.

There was a sign up at the Grove. It read something like "THE GROVE. RESTAURANT. BAR. VIEW" A little too cute, I thought.

But I hope it's a big success.

That might be the case from street level, but I saw it from the upper levels of the GRB and they've already laid a lot of grass.

I'm not as excited about this park. The space is too cramped and everyhing is on top of eachother. Maybe things will look different when the park is complete.

The Inauguration was today. It wasn't very long. At about 10 I hear this loud music in my office and I look outside and see a huge gathering on the park. There is still music right now, but about half the people have left. I don't have my camera (which I am pissed about at the moment) so no pictures from up here.

edit:

The Inauguration was not for the park, but for city council and the major. (Just didn't want to confuse anyone)

Edited by Daniepwils

So does that mean the park is now open? If so I'll probably head down there some time in the next few days to take some pictures before I get busy with my next semester at Rice (next week).

it isn't done yet according to what they said this morning during the ceremony coverage.

I think this park is going to be a bit hit. With the conventions, office workers, and those staying at the hotels. Also, One Park Place. Hopefully more residential development happens around the thing though.

Edited by Trae

Interesting, I've never heard of a park being 'previewed,' but what do I know. That seems like a lot of time between the concert and official opening of the park. I wonder what will and won't be done March 1 as opposed to April? Any speculation?

You know who they need...who was that guy, I can't even remember how far back, late 80s...the French dude who played electric viloin and did the synced-up light show, where everyone was parking on the freeway shoulders heading into downtown? Was it an International Festival event? Ok, probably that guy is not the best choice. We need something more intimate for a 'preview'. I bet someone has already rented The Grove for the best seats. For the view, you know. B)

I just remembered: Jean-Michel Jarre. He was like the French Yanni, but with a violin and some sort of cred. For a short time in the 80s, anyway.

You know who they need...who was that guy, I can't even remember how far back, late 80s...the French dude who played electric viloin and did the synced-up light show, where everyone was parking on the freeway shoulders heading into downtown? Was it an International Festival event?

I just remembered: Jean-Michel Jarre. He was like the French Yanni, but with a violin and some sort of cred. For a short time in the 80s, anyway.

he was big into synthesizers. the concert was done in celebration of Houston's sesquicentennial in 1986

You know who they need...who was that guy, I can't even remember how far back, late 80s...the French dude who played electric viloin and did the synced-up light show, where everyone was parking on the freeway shoulders heading into downtown? Was it an International Festival event? Ok, probably that guy is not the best choice. We need something more intimate for a 'preview'. I bet someone has already rented The Grove for the best seats. For the view, you know. B)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9sixXZ_4Xk...feature=related

It was actually Houston's Sesquicentennial celebration, in conjunction with NASA's 25th anniversary. I had a cozy seat in the middle of Allen Parkway, right in front of Allen Parkway Village. Not an ounce of trouble from the neighbors...which was saying something in 1986.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9sixXZ_4Xk...feature=related

It was actually Houston's Sesquicentennial celebration, in conjunction with NASA's 25th anniversary. I had a cozy seat in the middle of Allen Parkway, right in front of Allen Parkway Village. Not an ounce of trouble from the neighbors...which was saying something in 1986.

Yea, right! Cozy seat at the Allen Parkway Inn! Or do I have the name right? You know the one. :P Oh, I have mis-read and see that you mean the actual street.

That bar was fun, Allen Parkway Village, not so much.

Thanks for the pics Jax.

It's amazing to see all the mature live oaks in the park. I wonder how many of them were transplanted. I remember seeing the developers transporting mature live oaks to the park when they were first starting construction. I hope they all survive :unsure: .

I got a chance to walk around a bit yesterday afternoon down here and so I'm filing my report!

I walked in to the Grove a little past 5 as they were just opening for the evening. They're only open in the evening, at least for now. I was considering having a drink or a snack but since I was the only customer in the place I didn't feel real comfortable doing that. I ended up going over to the Hilton to have a couple beers and watch the NFL playoffs instead.

The restaurant looks great, and there's a nice bar area to one side. I was very warmly greeted by the hostess and/or bartender Penelope. She was eager to answer my questions and show me around. Good PR, and it paid off because I recommended the place to a group of Canadians staying at the Hilton that I met at the bar over there. They were in town for some kind of flooring convention going on at the Convention Center.

Unfortunately, the upstairs deck is not open yet, so I was not able to check out the famous "view". There is a nice view downstairs, but it's mainly just the restaurant itself and the trees just outside the windows. The entrance to the restaurant was a little hard to find. I found it by noticing the valet parking stand. The valet parkers became my unofficial greeters, and told me just to walk in. I guess that's what happens when you walk into a restaurant just as it's opening for business on the second day of it's operation. The valet parkers were cordial but not exactly enthusiastic.

Anyway, there was a lot of life downtown in that area. I can imagine what it will be like when the park opens! The Rockets had a game later that night at Toyota Center, and there were lot of people walking around. The nice cool weather definitely helped.

There was a pick up basketball game going on at that park next to the Toyota Center. The park looks very nice now that it's refurbished. The huge oak trees look fantastic, and the basketball court is very nice, submerged a bit below ground and with a very nice rubber looking surface. The guys hanging out and playing there were well behaved, and the activity definitely adds life to the area. There was a group of Asians intently watching the basketball game, waiting to go into the Toyota Center for the game I assume.

That's all. Someone else can supply pictures!