Discovery Green Park At 1500 McKinney St.

c4smok

• 2 weeks later...
that looks like the existing oak grove that is being integrated into the park plan.

Yeah, I know; it just reminds me of a drive down Main in the Museum District. So lush...

• 3 weeks later...

The Disco Green website says that the garage is supposed to open in November, the first restaurant in December, and the entire park in January. Has anybody heard anything about the garage opening, or are they falling behind schedule?

The Disco Green website says that the garage is supposed to open in November, the first restaurant in December, and the entire park in January. Has anybody heard anything about the garage opening, or are they falling behind schedule?

I haven't heard anything, but when I drove by the other day and looked inside the entrance, it pretty much looked completed to me.

You drove ! Coog get out of the car and walk around it ;)

12 acres isn't tiny by any means.

I bet a year from now, homeless will be cleaning themselves in the mist tree and water features of this park lmao!

Lol...I hope this park doesn't just become a bathroom for homeless people. But until the surrounding area takes off, there probably won't be many non-homeless people using the park except on weekends or before/after nearby events. I've been to Herman park on weekdays where the homeless seem to outnumber the few people strolling through the park.

Of course they are "rushing".

Did they say why? Behing schedule? Big convention coming? Too much junk ;-)

those were the words guy hagstedt used. guess there is a lot to do before then. they also interviewed robert del grande who'll be operating the two restaurants.

Edited by musicman

those were the words guy hagstedt used. guess there is a lot to do before then. they also interviewed robert del grande who'll be operating the two restaurants.

They are rushing because the project is behind schedule because it rained for TEN straight weeks this summer.

IF the real thing is even close to the renderings, this park is a definate improvement over what we had before........uhhhh..........parking lots. Personally, i think this is just what DT needs to attract more urbanites. Some of you squawk about how the park isn't what it COULD be, about how the projects DT are going too slowly. Well, have patience.

The vision will be realized, but it takes time. AND, if in a couple of years we see that the DT park is not the success it is planned to be, i am sure the powers that be will tweek it to attract more patrons. At least i would like to think that. ;)

m. B)

Memebag, don't take my comment as an attack on the homeless...it's merely an observation. Most people don't want to see people urinating in public or building makeshift camps in a nice public park.

It is a shame that our country can spend trillions on needless wars, yet cannot gather the gumption to tackle a national problem like homelessness. But that is the state of things.

If it turns out you have devoted your life to helping the homeless, then please lecture away, for admittedly, I have not.

Edited by barracuda

The basketball park (Root Brown?) across from Toyo is a shining example of how to keep the bums at bay: Security & Water Sprinklers

Bums don't need luxury encampments. There are a gazillion other spots in town they can make camp.

If I were a bum I'd live under 59/Settegast along the Bayou. Them some nice digs.