Tirz 27 Meeting on Bike Lanes on Mandell St and Portions of W. Dallas St.

"Construction for proposed bike and pedestrian improvements along Mandell Street and West Dallas Street could come to fruition as early as summer 2023 in the Montrose area."

https://communityimpact.com/houston/heights-river-oaks-montrose/transportation/2022/06/28/mandell-west-dallas-streets-among-latest-montrose-areas-proposed-for-bike-pedestrian-improvements/

• Like 2

At the Tirz 27 meeting they mentioned they can only take the W. Dallas St. bike lane up to Columbus St. due to that being the end of their district. East of Columbus St. belongs to a different Tirz, I think they said 14.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
2 hours ago, 004n063 said:

The Dallas extension is nice. Would be great to get the Waugh lanes extended to Buffalo Bayou.

Waugh St. north of W. Dallas is a different project by Memorial Heights TIRZ 5 and TIRZ 27 confirmed they have plans to continue the path. 

HVQ7m7W.png

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 4/7/2023 at 10:45 AM, 004n063 said:

The Dallas extension is nice. Would be great to get the Waugh lanes extended to Buffalo Bayou.

The Mandell stuff looks pretty useless, though. 

I've changed my mind about this. I think the combination of dedicated lanes on the Richmond-Westheimer section and sharrows with intesection protections (consistent with those along the Woodhead and Hawthorne corridors) will be a big help and make Mandell a pretty solid bike corridor through Montrose.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Texasota said:

As someone who used to live off of Mandell I 100% agree. They're adding protection where it's most needed. I'd always love more but this seems like a good approach for this specific street. 

It also seems that Montrose is taking an approach of "do a lot of little things in a lot of places," which when combined with it's fairly dense grid of functional side streets, could quickly move it toward the top of the bikeable Houston neighborhoods list. 

The upside is that I think that the number of casual bicyclists (commuters, errand-doers, West Alabama Ice House goers, etc.) will continue to grow at a moderately accelerated pace, which will lead to both more and better bike infrastructure and a more bike-aware driving culture in the long term.

Still, it's not gonna be enough to ease concerns over kids, the elderly, and nervous riders who do not ever want to ride in mixed traffic. We're still a long way away from making inroads with those groups, but it can be done.

• Like 1