Sign in to follow this  

Latest Astroworld Plot redevelopment news

Wall Street Journal reports today that Ft Worth-based Mallick Group bought the Astroworld site. Says they haven't decided how to develop it but noted TMC is running out of land, so "we're looking at medical and a number of things . . . offices, apartments"

This opens up a whole new set of potential uses for the Astrodome as a continued expansion of the Medical Center. World's largest operating theater or maybe a state of the art physical therapy facility?

Wall Street Journal reports today that Ft Worth-based Mallick Group bought the Astroworld site. Says they haven't decided how to develop it but noted TMC is running out of land, so "we're looking at medical and a number of things . . . offices, apartments"

TMC - South?

This opens up a whole new set of potential uses for the Astrodome as a continued expansion of the Medical Center. World's largest operating theater or maybe a state of the art physical therapy facility?

This site has nothing to do with the Astrodome.

TMC - South?

The South Campus already exists. This would be: TMC - Further South.

This site has nothing to do with the Astrodome.

This site is only connected to the Astrodome in nostalgic imagination.

What will become of the pedestrian bridge that connects to this site?

This site is only connected to the Astrodome in nostalgic imagination.

What will become of the pedestrian bridge that connects to this site?

The bridge was upgraded a tad before the last rodeo so pedestrians are easily able to use it when they parked on that land.

I'm not entirely sure what I would be happy with on that plot of land.

On one hand, I wouldn't mind a mixed development of those of midtown, or T&C or a hybrid of the two, a Medical heavy development that also allowed apartment/condos/hotels, or simply a an extension of the medical center.

My concern is that I don't know if the light rail would have the capacity for whatever development they have down there. The trains are STUFFED when people get on them from the Smithlands parking area and from what I've heard, there are more people getting on from the Reliant station in the mornings.

Edited by ricco67

My concern is that I don't know if the light rail would have the capacity for whatever development they have down there. The trains are STUFFED when people get on them from the Smithlands parking area and from what I've heard, there are more people getting on from the Reliant station in the mornings.

It doesn't. That's why the TMC shuttles were resumed within the first few years or light rail service. Increasing the frequency of shuttle service as light rail becomes more crowded should solve the Smithlands problem, but the Red Line was simply under-engineered to meet the needs of long-term demand.

Hopefully the University Line won't have any limitations on triple-car trains.

It doesn't. That's why the TMC shuttles were resumed within the first few years or light rail service. Increasing the frequency of shuttle service as light rail becomes more crowded should solve the Smithlands problem, but the Red Line was simply under-engineered to meet the needs of long-term demand.

I didn't realize they even STOPPED the shuttles at one point. The complex is just too long of a walk for people that work in the "back" of the TMC. I don't know if even with the upgrade of the trains if it will be enough. Once the other lines are completed, the stretch between Wheeler station and The east lines are going to be incredibly crowded.

On a related topic:

Recently I put in a request from metro on boardings (today was the deadline for them to supply me with info) estimates vs. projections and they haven't responded. Once I get that info, I hope to make the info available.

Aside from the acknowledgment that they RECEIVED the request, i heard nothing more from them.

What do you mean by under-engineered?

I didn't realize they even STOPPED the shuttles at one point. The complex is just too long of a walk for people that work in the "back" of the TMC.

To clarify, they had at one point eliminated shuttles servicing Smithlands, and were instead routing shuttles out of the TMC Transit Center.

Recently I put in a request from metro on boardings (today was the deadline for them to supply me with info) estimates vs. projections and they haven't responded. Once I get that info, I hope to make the info available.

Aside from the acknowledgment that they RECEIVED the request, i heard nothing more from them.

I made that request about four years ago, but I forget the name of the guy that (eventually) handled it. The data was limited in usefulness because they only track physical boardings, not origin, destination, transfer points, LRT trip time, total trip time, or rider demographics.

One thing that was clear at the time was that Reliant Park, Rice University, and the Museum District were crappy trip generators.

What do you mean by under-engineered?

Blocks in the downtown and midtown areas are too short to accommodate trains of more than two LRT vehicles at once. METRO is going to replace our existing livery with larger-capacity rail cars, but it isn't going to add so much capacity that we can overcome the two-vehicle issue in the long term...especially as the system continues to be expanded.

The only way to increase capacity is to increase the frequency of service, however there is a geometric relationship between LRT frequency and auto congestion induced by LRT.

Interesting Trivia that I have no clue to the accuracy of its truthiness:

The Astroworld Bridge over 610 is the only instance in either the state or country (I forget) where a privately owned bridge was allowed over an Interstate.

Interesting Trivia that I have no clue to the accuracy of its truthiness:

The Astroworld Bridge over 610 is the only instance in either the state or country (I forget) where a privately owned bridge was allowed over an Interstate.

{{citation needed}}

I made that request about four years ago, but I forget the name of the guy that (eventually) handled it. The data was limited in usefulness because they only track physical boardings, not origin, destination, transfer points, LRT trip time, total trip time, or rider demographics.

One thing that was clear at the time was that Reliant Park, Rice University, and the Museum District were crappy trip generators.

Well, mine was a straightforward answer and would be an interesting update:

My question was the "projected" boardings for each station before build vs. what is current (which would give us both interesting numbers) as well as what the projected boardings for the future stations. Figured it would be a relatively easy (and somewhat inexpensive) thing for them to gather.

{{citation needed}}

Citation Not Needed.

If I could have remembered where I read that tidbit, I wouldn't have needed to include the "accuracy of its truthiness" and the (I forget).

Take it or Leave it Ricco! I don't give a damn.

Citation Not Needed.

If I could have remembered where I read that tidbit, I wouldn't have needed to include the "accuracy of its truthiness" and the (I forget).

Take it or Leave it Ricco! I don't give a damn.

Wiki

"The bridge crossing Loop 610 which connected AstroWorld to its share of the Astrodomain (now Reliant Park) parking lot was the only publicly-accessible, privately-owned bridge to cross an interstate highway in Harris County, Texas." Possibly this ...

Can anyone post tidbits of the article. Can't read much of anything without the subscription. Thanks guys.

I would but I'm not sure what the rules are. It doesn't really say too much other than what I mentioned. But it gives the idea that things could really start happening there soon. So far the language doesn't make it sound like something to be super excited about, or it could be, it doesn't really lean either way. It could just be uninspired garden style apartments and strip centers, who knows at this point.

Edited by lockmat

I would but I'm not sure what the rules are. It doesn't really say too much other than what I mentioned. But it gives the idea that things could really start happening there soon. So far the language doesn't make it sound like something to be super excited about, or it could be, it doesn't really lean either way. It could just be uninspired garden style apartments and strip centers, who knows at this point.

Lincoln Property Company? They manage a crapload of low-rise apartments just on the other side of the freeway.

Low rise apartments, is that a nice way of saying, 3 story people aquarium?

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Lincoln Property Company? They manage a crapload of low-rise apartments just on the other side of the freeway.

Oh that would be such a waste of good real estate...

Looks like EpiCenter might actually happen on the old AstroWorld plot: http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/print-edition/2012/04/20/mysterious-mixed-use-plans-surface-for.html

Vanguard Equity Holdings LLC is circulating new information about EpiCentre Houston, a $200 million mixed-used development that’s been on the drawing board for four years. A marketing consultant is lining up potential developers for the perpetual project. And 20 to 30 acres of the 104-acre site now have changed hands, sources say.
  • Like 1

I heard that a spiritualist has reviewed the site and found that Judge Roy Hoffheinz spirit has doomed any who plan on building anything on the land other than a theme park will go bankrupt.

Wiki

"The bridge crossing Loop 610 which connected AstroWorld to its share of the Astrodomain (now Reliant Park) parking lot was the only publicly-accessible, privately-owned bridge to cross an interstate highway in Harris County, Texas." Possibly this ...

Oh that can't be totally accurate because there is a privately owned bridge across this same freeway right down the street at Gulfgate!

Oh that can't be totally accurate because there is a privately owned bridge across this same freeway right down the street at Gulfgate!

Are you sure that one is privately owned? I think it may not be.

Picked this quote out of a Chronicle 2005 archive article.

"Metro spokesman Chip Lambert said the pedestrian bridge is owned by Gulfgate, and its maintenance costs will be shared with Metro."

• Like 1

BANG!

RT @MarkBermanFox26: Major news from the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. They are in process of acquiring 48 of the 92 acres that was home to Astroworld.
  • Like 2

For parking? Maybe it will allow them to keep their event the same or bigger but allow for the rest of their current land to be develed into the hotel etc.

More complete story http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/20341457/2012/12/13/rodeohouston-to-acquire-48-acres-of-old-astroworld-property

Edited by lockmat

Edited by lockmat

It would have been great if this site was developed into a mixed use development with retail, restaurants, hotels, office and residential by the time the Super Bowl comes to town.

Agreed. It's unfortunate they didn't have the vision to get something like that off the ground. Maybe in the future.. A hotel at least would be nice by the Super Bowl.

I'm confused, I thought the rodeo purchased the land for parking? Are they the one's selling it now?

I'm confused, I thought the rodeo purchased the land for parking? Are they the one's selling it now?

The Rodeo only bought part of the site (about 1/2 IIRC)

• Like 1

The Rodeo only bought part of the site (about 1/2 IIRC)

You're right.

Anyone think a City Centre type development could happen here? I think it could have too much of an industrial/suburban area feel.

What do y'all think someone would eventually do with it? Lots of land near a lot of important stuff, but now it's just kind of an awkward site.

https://my.hfflp.com/GetDocument?DT=DealDocument&ID=112147

11038998_663011059960_907824013064330086

Edited by lockmat

I don't see it happening.  Maybe before, but now that I actually live somewhat in the area I really can't see that this was ever meant for large scale development.  At least not now...  It's really a "fringe" plot - absolutely nothing to the south to speak of, nothing all that desirable (at least to developers) to the east/northeast, and a vast ocean of parking lots to the north and (now) immediate west.  Well, to the west is really more now a perennial grass parking lot with no trees and ugly storage sheds sitting there.  Some decent demographics exist in the general vicinity to the west/north but this is nothing like the City Centre site.  It does have good freeway access, great proximity to the medical center, and decent proximity to downtown.  I don't think access to NRG stadium really does much, though that potential indoor park at the Astrodome would help.  

Anyway, I think at best we get some low-rise apartments ala "Connection at Buffalo Pointe".  I seriously hope I'm wrong, but to me the fact that the rodeo grabbed ~1/2 the land really undermines the chance of getting anything decent here

Edit:  failed to mention that it does have good rail access, of course.  That should also help but this plot is still an island in a sense.  I can only see residential (low-rise apartments or more townhomes) here

Edited by OkieEric
  • Like 4

I don't see it happening.  Maybe before, but now that I actually live somewhat in the area I really can't see that this was ever meant for large scale development.  At least not now...  It's really a "fringe" plot - absolutely nothing to the south to speak of, nothing all that desirable (at least to developers) to the east/northeast, and a vast ocean of parking lots to the north and (now) immediate west.  Well, to the west is really more now a perennial grass parking lot with no trees and ugly storage sheds sitting there.  Some decent demographics exist in the general vicinity to the west/north but this is nothing like the City Centre site.  It does have good freeway access, great proximity to the medical center, and decent proximity to downtown.  I don't think access to NRG stadium really does much, though that potential indoor park at the Astrodome would help.  

Anyway, I think at best we get some low-rise apartments ala "Connection at Buffalo Pointe".  I seriously hope I'm wrong, but to me the fact that the rodeo grabbed ~1/2 the land really undermines the chance of getting anything decent here

Agreed. I think the highest and best use of the full site was amusement park. Unfortunately the amusement park chain that owned it didn't want to have a presence in the nation's 4th largest city.

The one good thing that could ever come out of this is if using the land for parking allows the parking lots around the Astrodome and NRG to be developed into something like a county fairgrounds, Houston's modern version of Fair Park.

• Like 1

I think it would be perfect for an Olympic grounds for future Olympics, or a Worlds Fair. Just my opinion.......still want a theme park T_T

• Like 2

i know what id build there.. and agreed, a mixed use development wouldn't really work at this location (at least not anytime in the near future), as much as we all would like. the local demographics aren't that great, and its way too on the fringe. plus whoever owns it is likely holding out for some astronomical price that doesn't make any economic sense for anyone to buy/develop, so it will likely continue to sit vacant.

You're right.

Anyone think a City Centre type development could happen here? I think it could have too much of an industrial/suburban area feel.

What do y'all think someone would eventually do with it? Lots of land near a lot of important stuff, but now it's just kind of an awkward site.

https://my.hfflp.com/GetDocument?DT=DealDocument&ID=112147

11038998_663011059960_907824013064330086

A permanent "fair" with 1 big steel roller coaster, 1 big wooden roller coaster, and then multiple rides for the less adventurous along with food and games. We could call it AstroWorld and put a lot of parking garage with like 600 apartment units/little bit of retail mixed in close to the rail.

• Like 2