Sign in to follow this  

Latest Astroworld Plot redevelopment news

I didn't know Metro owned that little wooded square in the SE corner.

Since that corner comprised Waterworld, why not make it a waterpark?

This is old news right? It sounds familiar but I can't faind Kiland in a HAIF thread.

http://thekilandgroup.com/projects/

The Kiland Group intends to build and deliver to the ever growing populace of Houston, Texas a new center of destinations created amidst a lifestyle friendly mobility solution for the needs of the business centers within the core of the City.  The Kiland Group will bring you “KILAND CENTRE HOUSTON”, an eco-urban in-fill, pedestrian-centric, transit relevant, synergistic collection of places to work, to park, to play and to live.

The first flower of the spring of  The Kiland Centre Houston will be “THE OFFICES AT KILAND CENTRE”, a high-rise example of modern office space, modern parking with amenities designed to make working there easier and less stressful than a traditional, soul-less assemblage of steel, cement and glass.  From there, The Kiland group will continue to transform a soon-to-be significant section of the City into a solution for the first, last and anytime moments of your day.

KILAND CENTRE HOUSTON is a massive eco-urban sustainable project with over 12 million square-feet of projected program. KILAND CENTRE HOUSTON will be internationally-renowned for its ground-up, environmentally responsible development.

The KiLand Centre Houston model calls for the development and sale of prepared parcels.  KGI, in conjunction with others can select from the following opportunities:

1. Hard Rock Hotel
  2. Radisson Blu Hotel
  3. World Trade Center Tower
  4. Medical Equipment & Products Expo and Suites
  5. Boutique Hotel
  6. KiLand Centre Parking Authority;
  7. Multi-family

• Like 2

Old news locky, I've shared that page with you before - even tried emailing them around that time, but the email address didn't exist. 

yeah. that appears to be from 2012. heres a recent post (January this year) by Kiland. hmmm...

Kiland Kyham · Follow · Chairman & CEO at The KiLand Group, INC.

I have started a commercial development company with

special interest in mixed-use developments. I plan to take a 116+ acre parcel and turn in into 5 hotels, 1500 Condos, 1000 Apartments, infused with Retail, Entertainment, Restaurants and Medical Components. It is called KiLand Centre. The first one will be in Houston and will create at least 25,000 jobs in that market. I plan to duplicate that brand in 7 cities Worldwide while having ownership in everything Vertical. The Kiland Group, Inc - KGI I have currently assembling a roster of LOIs and have pre-sold the 60% of the 1st phase. I am Hiring SOM Architects for Design and Master Plans and assembling a World wide Team for this great Vision! It is my Purpose. It is My Passion! It is my Destiny! www.thekilandgroup.com

Reply · Like · 5 · Follow Post · Edited · 16 January at 10:05

Old news locky, I've shared that page with you before - even tried emailing them around that time, but the email address didn't exist. 

I thought so, just makin sure. Thanks

The Houston Rodeo owns most of the land now so it's going to be a grassy parking lot for years to come.  Heck, they don't even pay taxes on the land since its non-profit.

The Houston Rodeo owns most of the land now so it's going to be a grassy parking lot for years to come.  Heck, they don't even pay taxes on the land since its non-profit.

For the record, the Rodeo bought 48 acres.  The AstroWorld plot contained a total of 104 acres.  That should leave 56 acres not owned by the Rodeo.

• Like 1

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Over-a-decade-later-Astroworld-site-still-center-10980606.php

A decade and change after Six Flags Astroworld closed for good there is still ongoing litigation regarding the property it sat on for years.

According to Law360, the request of several developers to throw out a lawsuit regarding failed development plans brought against them  has failed.

The law blog reports that last Friday U.S. Magistrate Judge Nancy K. Johnson recommended that three summary judgment motions by developers Epicentre should be thrown out.

ritish real estate investment company B Choice alleges that Epicentre Development Associates LLC misrepresented its claims to the land where Astroworld once sat. B Choice has alleged that Epicentre violated the federal RICO act and breached its fiduciary duties.

“Plaintiff has provided evidence to raise a genuine issue of material fact the representations that induced it to invest the $11 million,” Law360 quoted Judge Johnson as writing in her denial.

Judge Johnson took issue with the defendant’s claim that its fraud allegations are protected by Texas’ statute of limitations. B Choice alleges that the $11 million it gave Epicentre was to be used to acquire the land and not just to pay for an ownership interest. In July a judge ruled that Epicentre still owes B Choice some $13 million on a promissory note.

Epicentre’s legal counsel Joseph M. Schreiber told Law360 that they are hopeful a trial will clear Epicentre of any wrongdoing.

“While we respect the opinion of the magistrate judge, we also respectfully disagree. We are confident that our position will be validated in a trial on the merits,” he wrote in an email.

An earlier Law360 report from 2014 announced the initial lawsuit filed by B Choice.

In total B Choice says it is out $25 million in regards to the project which never got off the ground. Epicentre said in previous statements in court that the deal was a victim of the 2008 recession. Epicentre has also filed a counterclaim in the past against B Choice for fraud and breach of contract.

• Like 2

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/See-what-the-Astroworld-site-looks-like-50-years-12954611.php?ipid=hpctp

The 57-acre amusement park off the South Loop closed in 2005 and was demolished, leaving  barely a trace of what was there. The site is now a large patch of grass and asphalt across from NRG Stadium, used for extra Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo parking and storage. According to Joel Cowley, the rodeo's president and CEO, the organization owns all 102 acres of the site that once housed the park

Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo officials are working up a long-term plan for the land, which could include buildings constructed on the site.

Per the article the HSLR now owns all of the former Astroworld land.  As someone who frequents that stretch of 610, it's truly uninspiring that such a large, relatively prime (and should be more so with TMC3 and other TMC developments) piece of land is now essentially used as parking for a few weeks a year.  The rest of the year an extremely small fraction houses sheds, parking shuttles, and various other pieces of equipment.  It's amazing the HSLR has so much cash they can just essentially sit on a huge tract of land that "could" have buildings someday.  I can't fault them for doing so, but sheesh that tract is ugly in its current form

• Like 2

The parking on the former Astroworld site is indispensable during the barbecue cookoff, since the cookoff takes over nearly all of the parking lot south of NRG stadium and the dome. When I went to this year's event, there were message signs reporting that the south (Astroworld) lot was totally full. During the rest of the rodeo season the lot is heavily used, but I don't know that it is critical. I also don't know if the site is used for parking for Texans games.

So any parking that is lost due to development is going to have to be replaced, presumably with parking structures. Of course that costs money, and of course those parking garages will be empty most of the time, just like the surface lot.

Since the Astroworld site has never been fully paved (although it has aggregate), that suggests to me that some kind of development may be envisioned for the future.

Aren't they adding parking under the astrodome that would help alleviate that issue?

• Like 1

Are we over valuing this site?

The positives are the size of the land and being close to the rail. Being close to Reliant I don't think is a huge deal. It's relatively close to TMC and downtown but so are a lot of other places to the east.

On an letter scale, isn't this more like B or B+ real estate? 

On 6/1/2018 at 0:58 PM, lockmat said:

Are we over valuing this site?

The positives are the size of the land and being close to the rail. Being close to Reliant I don't think is a huge deal. It's relatively close to TMC and downtown but so are a lot of other places to the east.

On an letter scale, isn't this more like B or B+ real estate? 

I don't think we are over valuing this site, I think it's a matter of complexity. There are a few quasi private public organizations that complicates things. I believe it's a shame such a prime piece of land sits in purgatory. 

Edited by kdog08
  • Like 1

On 6/1/2018 at 8:30 AM, OkieEric said:

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/See-what-the-Astroworld-site-looks-like-50-years-12954611.php?ipid=hpctp

Per the article the HSLR now owns all of the former Astroworld land.  As someone who frequents that stretch of 610, it's truly uninspiring that such a large, relatively prime (and should be more so with TMC3 and other TMC developments) piece of land is now essentially used as parking for a few weeks a year.  The rest of the year an extremely small fraction houses sheds, parking shuttles, and various other pieces of equipment.  It's amazing the HSLR has so much cash they can just essentially sit on a huge tract of land that "could" have buildings someday.  I can't fault them for doing so, but sheesh that tract is ugly in its current form

Good lord, that article was a mess.  They tell us that Astroworld was (a) 57 acres and (b) 102 acres. They also tell us that (c) the Rodeo owns all of the 102 acre site and (d) Metro Houston owns a portion and Davis Chevrolet owns a portion.  They apparently just threw together some random sentences to accompany a slide show.

32 minutes ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo is planning something here.

I’m not a fan of the rodeo, but if they branch off into a different theme it won’t be as bad. 

https://www.click2houston.com/news/houston-rodeo-making-plans-to-develop-old-astroworld-site

Into a different theme? There was no mention of a theme park or anything remotely close. 

1 hour ago, Mattie said:

Into a different theme? There was no mention of a theme park or anything remotely close. 

Different subject, not about livestock.

Hopefuly we will get something else rather than the land to be focused on cattle and horses. 

43 minutes ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

Different subject, not about livestock.

Hopefuly we will get something else rather than the land to be focused on cattle and horses. 

Agreed.  There's already way more than enough cow and horse manure and so forth in Texas than anyone should ever need, including at the State Capitol.

“All plans are entirely conceptual at this point, but discussions have included building an event space that would enhance our annual show and provide a year-round presence that could serve multiple purposes, including educational exhibits, committee meeting space, fundraisers and event locations,” Cowley said.

Mister McKinney is in the business of promoting Houston history. He believes an educational component is critical because it’s something that will connect with families, giving a whole new generation a chance to make new memories.

“To be able to redevelop it into something the public can enjoy would actually be a good thing, beyond just a parking lot,” McKinney, of Historic Houston, said. “And with the new dome experience that's going to be happening in that space, the re-purposing of the Astrodome, the 8th wonder of the world, to be able house different things in there, too. Hopefully the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo puts something here that complements that.”

13 hours ago, lockmat said:

“All plans are entirely conceptual at this point, but discussions have included building an event space that would enhance our annual show and provide a year-round presence that could serve multiple purposes, including educational exhibits, committee meeting space, fundraisers and event locations,” Cowley said.

Mister McKinney is in the business of promoting Houston history. He believes an educational component is critical because it’s something that will connect with families, giving a whole new generation a chance to make new memories.

“To be able to redevelop it into something the public can enjoy would actually be a good thing, beyond just a parking lot,” McKinney, of Historic Houston, said. “And with the new dome experience that's going to be happening in that space, the re-purposing of the Astrodome, the 8th wonder of the world, to be able house different things in there, too. Hopefully the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo puts something here that complements that.”

A waste of space.  This area could have used a mixed used development.  

11 minutes ago, urbanize713 said:

Can Astroworld just come back? 

Agreed but not at that location.  Perhaps on land between 610 and beltway on 288!

6 hours ago, htownbro said:

A waste of space.  This area could have used a mixed used development.  

In my opinion, this land is overrated. Class B land, B+ at best.

I keep on reading the title as "Latest Plot for Astroworld Redevelopment" instead of "Latest Astroworld Plot Redevelopment".

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Luminare said:

I keep on reading the title as "Latest Plot for Astroworld Redevelopment" instead of "Latest Astroworld Plot Redevelopment".

It's a conspiracy by the Illuminati.

:P

28 minutes ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

Just sell the land to UT J2kpZpv.png

Is there a need for a very nice suburban style 300K SF Retail Strip center right there to serve the Med Center, Rice, and all that stuff? With all the good stores people want

Edited by Timoric

1 hour ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

Just sell the land to UT J2kpZpv.png

Would be perfect! No need to even extend the light rail. Natural extension of the properties they already own and invest in the medical center.... Wait, never mind. That would make too much sense, ignore my comment. 

4 hours ago, Timoric said:

Is there a need for a very nice suburban style 300K SF Retail Strip center right there to serve the Med Center, Rice, and all that stuff? With all the good stores people want

Meyerland Plaza pretty much serves that purpose. 

On 8/14/2018 at 6:49 PM, lockmat said:

A multi-purpose venue? Could partner up with the other tenant (Texans) and have the venue be an indoor practice facility for training camp. Add HQ buildings for both HLSR & the Texans, maybe add a hotel, and some retail & restaurants near the Fannin South rail stop and you could turn this plot of land into The Star in Frisco. 

https://3q87le1gsko01ibim33e4wib-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/the-stars.jpg[/img]

On 6/1/2018 at 9:35 AM, MaxConcrete said:

The parking on the former Astroworld site is indispensable  

Indispensable? What did they do before this was a parking lot?

What do other cities without an abandoned theme park do for parking? 

This thing is the most convenient and cheap option but it is far from indispensable. NRG is on the rail line. The more urban (expensive) solution would be parking structures near the rail line. But with cheaper parking so close to the park if these structures are built they won't be utilized unless Astroworld parking is no longer available. 

BTW, there is quite a lot of developable land south of 610. Lots of industrial sites and virgin land.

Heck NRG can stand to convert some of the surface parking to garage. I know that the norm for football is vast lots for parking.  But this sport complex is in the middle of the city. It's not like Gillette in foxboro or Hard Rock in Miami Gardens. The better examples are Mercedes-Benz Stadium and Mercedes-Benz Superdome. Both are in a more urban location with a lot less surface parking. There are lots of potential around NRG but little incentive 

On 8/18/2018 at 6:20 PM, HoustonIsHome said:

Indispensable? What did they do before this was a parking lot?

What do other cities without an abandoned theme park do for parking? 

This thing is the most convenient and cheap option but it is far from indispensable. NRG is on the rail line. The more urban (expensive) solution would be parking structures near the rail line. But with cheaper parking so close to the park if these structures are built they won't be utilized unless Astroworld parking is no longer available. 

BTW, there is quite a lot of developable land south of 610. Lots of industrial sites and virgin land.

Heck NRG can stand to convert some of the surface parking to garage. I know that the norm for football is vast lots for parking.  But this sport complex is in the middle of the city. It's not like Gillette in foxboro or Hard Rock in Miami Gardens. The better examples are Mercedes-Benz Stadium and Mercedes-Benz Superdome. Both are in a more urban location with a lot less surface parking. There are lots of potential around NRG but little incentive 

The sum of the parking spaces there are right up there with some Disney lots as comparable to worlds largest parking lots

On 8/20/2018 at 4:54 AM, Timoric said:

The sum of the parking spaces there are right up there with some Disney lots as comparable to worlds largest parking lots

Really? 

That's my point again. Disney is located in proximity to many municipalities but it's not in the middle of the 4th largest municipality in the country and along a a heavy economic stretch that is the Fannin South to UHD. 

Like I said it is a convenient patch for parking but it is such a poor use considering how the area has blossomed. Looking at pictures of the area when the astrodome was built, the area was very out of the city in looks. 

I have a feeling though that the treed areas and industrial sites south of the Astroworld plot will be developed more before that location is used for something other than parking. Justification? See downtown Houston

I got no sound on the video except for the commercials but I get the gist. So where is the detention area being built to compensate for all that impervious surface? Maybe the plan is to turn the dome into a big cistern. 😖

• Like 1

Did NRG Park give up on the idea of auto racing? I've always thought that they should build a grandstand and pits on the Astro World site then have the track go over the freeway and through NRG park circling the Astrodome.

Edited by cougarpad
  • Like 6

They were playing audio on NPR 88.7,  yesterday of some rapper and the mayor at some event. The rapper must have some songs about astroworld or an amusement park, but at one point mayor Turner alluded to some talks of an amusement park for Houston. Sorry but that's all I got. It was on NPR yesterday afternoon. I'll try and find out more about said talks.

• Like 3

Found it.

Houston rapper Travis Scott packed the Toyota Center for a home-town performance Wednesday night and it came with the surprise announcement that the city could get a new amusement park. Brandi Smith's here with the moments people are talking about.

Heres the link from KHOU TV

https://www.khou.com/video/news/local/mayor-turner-says-houston-will-get-another-amusement-park-at-travis-scott-concert/285-d0fd0e41-cd88-4cfa-a7ae-9d7294bb93a8

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bobruss said:

Found it.

Houston rapper Travis Scott packed the Toyota Center for a home-town performance Wednesday night and it came with the surprise announcement that the city could get a new amusement park. Brandi Smith's here with the moments people are talking about.

Heres the link from KHOU TV

https://www.khou.com/video/news/local/mayor-turner-says-houston-will-get-another-amusement-park-at-travis-scott-concert/285-d0fd0e41-cd88-4cfa-a7ae-9d7294bb93a8

Mayor Turner has been talking about (and, one presumes, working on) this for a couple years, at least.  

This just came out this morning:  http://www.fox26houston.com/news/mayor-proposing-creation-of-permanent-amusement-park-in-houston

• Like 1