Garden Villas Grocery Store At 6912 Telephone Rd.

gnu

I was disappointed this morning to see that the old Garden Villas Grocery Store on the corner of Telephone and Fauna had been levelled. :(

I was angry at myself more than anything because I somehow missed seeing the demo permit, so I didn't get pictures like I would have liked to.

It has been vacant and for sale for a long time, so i have no excuse for not taking pictures sooner.

It really wasn't anything great architecturally but it did have an interesting angled entry and the old tall brick incinerator chimney was still out back. All-in-all probably a very typical 1951 grocery store. It was also one of the last obvious clues as to the former life of Fauna Street as a main East-West artery from Telephone to Mykawa - before Airport Blvd was developed.

No signs yet as to what will replace the building.

Just another reminder that the corner grocery store era has gone, an era when a family might have had just one car, if any, and walking to the corner to buy meat, milk, eggs and veggies was a frequent ritual. Supermarkets were still rare so these stores were vital. I was a kid in the 60s when this era was almost gone, but it still seemed like I was in Dorothy's Market (she was Chinese) every day either buying milk and bread for Mom, or baseball cards, soda and candy for myself.

The current convenience stores are basically liquor stores.

Just another reminder that the corner grocery store era has gone, an era when a family might have had just one car, if any, and walking to the corner to buy meat, milk, eggs and veggies was a frequent ritual. Supermarkets were still rare so these stores were vital. I was a kid in the 60s when this era was almost gone, but it still seemed like I was in Dorothy's Market (she was Chinese) every day either buying milk and bread for Mom, or baseball cards, soda and candy for myself.

The current convenience stores are basically liquor stores.

Well, I guess it comes down to what a person wants more: personalized service or big selections and lower prices. You could say that the latter is done best by H.E.B. Pantry and Wal-Mart Supercenter. I guess that being able to get all of the things that I want and need for a good price outweighs a desire for personalized service.

I was just wondering what Garden Villas is like now. I say this because my family used to own a house there. It sat vacant for years untill someone set it on fire, then my family sold it. I was young at the time, and I was just thinking the other day I would love to have had that lot still. I just wanted to know if that part of town is starting to rebuild upgrade thier house's. I might be intrested in a fixer upper if so.

Well, I guess it comes down to what a person wants more: personalized service or big selections and lower prices. You could say that the latter is done best by H.E.B. Pantry and Wal-Mart Supercenter. I guess that being able to get all of the things that I want and need for a good price outweighs a desire for personalized service.

If the idea of car-free living ever takes hold here like many would hope, at least in certain neighborhoods, I think we'll see corner grocery stores, 21st century version, pop up here and there. Dense neighborhoods will likely have both options; huge grocery stores and corner stores where you can buy a wide range of basics. I'm sure a lot of the current beer/lotto/cigarettes vice vendors (convenience stores) will be quick to pick up on the trend and will adapt by offering more of a wholesome variety of items too.

Of course, passenger rail, which also went out with the car dominance, is making a comeback too. I doubt if the house-call doctor will ever return though.

I was just wondering what Garden Villas is like now. I say this because my family used to own a house there. It sat vacant for years untill someone set it on fire, then my family sold it. I was young at the time, and I was just thinking the other day I would love to have had that lot still. I just wanted to know if that part of town is starting to rebuild upgrade thier house's. I might be intrested in a fixer upper if so.

Garden villas is a mashup. Some parts are ghetto, some parts are nice. The Pecan trees have matured and are quite a sight to see. That area of town is still pretty blighted....people (typically Mexicans) are "upgrading" their old houses by putting tile over the wood floors, replacing or covering the siding with HardiePlank, and putting in fake divided light windows from Home Despot.

Garden villas is a mashup. Some parts are ghetto, some parts are nice. The Pecan trees have matured and are quite a sight to see. That area of town is still pretty blighted....people (typically Mexicans) are "upgrading" their old houses by putting tile over the wood floors, replacing or covering the siding with HardiePlank, and putting in fake divided light windows from Home Despot.

The blight of multiple cars on the front lawn, junk everywhere etc. can be erased eventually but those ignorant remodels can be so hideous, unattractive and economically unviable to outsiders who might want to restore the home that entire neighborhoods like that either become permanent ghettos or get torn down.

Garden Villas at least has a shot to attract enough people who care about the place to survive and become great again.

The biggest problem Garden Villas has is it is in the flight pattern for Hobby. It pretty much misses Glenbrook, and the houses in the farthest norther part of Garden Villas on Haywood and parts of Santa Fe I think. But in a lot of sections the planes come right in overhead. Otherwise it has some real interesting character and some of the people in there swear you get used to the planes.

I have lived on Fauna St in the Garden Villas for 12 years and you do get used to the planes to the point you barely even notice them. The neighborhood is great and the Civic club and homeowners are regrouping to combat the run down properties. It is a slow process though.

I love my home, my acre and my trees, and I am going to hate to leave, but my job is in the Woodlands, and the commute is pretty tough. Even though it only takes me about 45 minutes, the gas and the wear and tear on the car are getting pretty expensive. So we're buying a house on an acre in Montogomery Co accross from the woodlands. The new development has a similar if not exactly the same feel only newer. but it doesn't have the access to the inner loop like the Garden Villas

If the idea of car-free living ever takes hold here like many would hope, at least in certain neighborhoods, I think we'll see corner grocery stores, 21st century version, pop up here and there. Dense neighborhoods will likely have both options; huge grocery stores and corner stores where you can buy a wide range of basics. I'm sure a lot of the current beer/lotto/cigarettes vice vendors (convenience stores) will be quick to pick up on the trend and will adapt by offering more of a wholesome variety of items too.

Of course, passenger rail, which also went out with the car dominance, is making a comeback too. I doubt if the house-call doctor will ever return though.

As for me personally, if there were some kind of a transportation system that ran 24/7 that would take me where I wanted to go whenever I want to, I would sell my vehicle and use it. Then I wouldn't have to fool with buying gasoline, insurance, license tags, inspection, tune up, tires, etc.

Are demolition permits online? If so, could you post a link?

this is where you can search for them:

http://pdinet.pd.ci.houston.tx.us/permits/...itsSold.asp#top

i get a weekly email with the newly sold permits, but i can't figure out where to subscribe...i'll keep looking :unsure:

there is also a code enforcement notification system which is kinda neat too :blush:

i get a weekly email with the newly sold permits, but i can't figure out where to subscribe...i'll keep looking :unsure:

i can't remember where i did it either but i think maybe if you create a new account it will give you that option?

this is where you can search for them:

http://pdinet.pd.ci.houston.tx.us/permits/...itsSold.asp#top

there is also a code enforcement notification system which is kinda neat too :blush:

Thanks for the info.

Houston's my real-life SimCity :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring this back but this made me very sad to see this going throght the old post. I lived with my grandmother and grew up on Ashburn in Garden Villas during the 60's and she used to do all her shopping there and I even got to take coupons in and get the cash for them so I could buy my own stuff. I took the wife through there last April and it made me want to cry. Her old house is now blue with a porch that was added across the entire front. I guess what they say is true. You can never go home again. This place is awsome even though it does make me sad to remember what it was like growing up in the area in that time. Oh and fyi my grandmother taught 3rd grade at Garden Villas Elementry school till 69 or 70 and I went there from 1st grade till 5th grade (64-69) so did anyone here go there?

I was disappointed this morning to see that the old Garden Villas Grocery Store on the corner of Telephone and Fauna had been levelled. :(

I was angry at myself more than anything because I somehow missed seeing the demo permit, so I didn't get pictures like I would have liked to.

It has been vacant and for sale for a long time, so i have no excuse for not taking pictures sooner.

It really wasn't anything great architecturally but it did have an interesting angled entry and the old tall brick incinerator chimney was still out back. All-in-all probably a very typical 1951 grocery store. It was also one of the last obvious clues as to the former life of Fauna Street as a main East-West artery from Telephone to Mykawa - before Airport Blvd was developed.

No signs yet as to what will replace the building.

I took the wife through there last April and it made me want to cry. Her old house is now blue with a porch that was added across the entire front. I guess what they say is true. You can never go home again. This place is awsome even though it does make me sad to remember what it was like growing up in the area in that time. Oh and fyi my grandmother taught 3rd grade at Garden Villas Elementry school till 69 or 70 and I went there from 1st grade till 5th grade (64-69) so did anyone here go there?

The Norman Rockwell era has passed, and Garden Villas has downcycled like most other older nabes, but I think it probably hit bottom a decade or so ago. Will it be restored? My first thought is, just as it declined Houston style, it will rebound Houston style as well; a restoration here, a teardown there, a dump down the street, however those huge lots could eventually attract others who see no value in those old homes.

Oh ok thanks.

The Norman Rockwell era has passed, and Garden Villas has downcycled like most other older nabes, but I think it probably hit bottom a decade or so ago. Will it be restored? My first thought is, just as it declined Houston style, it will rebound Houston style as well; a restoration here, a teardown there, a dump down the street, however those huge lots could eventually attract others who see no value in those old homes.

The biggest problem Garden Villas has is it is in the flight pattern for Hobby. It pretty much misses Glenbrook, and the houses in the farthest norther part of Garden Villas on Haywood and parts of Santa Fe I think. But in a lot of sections the planes come right in overhead. Otherwise it has some real interesting character and some of the people in there swear you get used to the planes.

I was on Telephone Road many years ago just south of Airport Blvd. when Air Force One took off right over my vehicle. Well it was actaully AF2 because I learned later on the nightly news that George Bush (the real one) was in town. This was back during the Ronald Reagan administration. Anyway.......This jet, a Boeing 707, was so loud that my ears hurt. I can only pity those poor people living in the southern portions of Garden Villas.

Anyway.......This jet, a Boeing 707, was so loud that my ears hurt. I can only pity those poor people living in the southern portions of Garden Villas.

you get used to it believe me. due to hobby's runway size 707 takeoff/landings are rare.

But in a lot of sections the planes come right in overhead. Otherwise it has some real interesting character and some of the people in there swear you get used to the planes.

I don't think it would bother me much. I think you do get used to it..

Or maybe numb to it.. :/

My grandmother lived directly next to Memorial Field in Hot Springs AR.

The runway 5/23 ran right along her back yard nearly.

You get used to the noise. In the 60's, it was a controlled tower,

and they had twice a day Texas International DC-9s that flew

in and out. One about 9AM, and I think the other about 6 PM or so.

You could almost set your clock by them.. Kind of like living near

a railroad track.. These days the tower is closed, but still quite a bit

of traffic. What seems the loudest is when a learjet, or other private

jet lands late at night when it is pretty quiet. You don't hear a whole

lot until they land, but then they kick the reversers in... :/ pretty loud.

A takeoff is fairly loud in those too, and probably lasts longer as you

hear the roar longer as they ascend. But a lear doesn't stick around

very long... :)

But I like watching and listening to them, so it never bothered me..

I'd often have a radio on listening to them on the unicom frequency.

MK

We had very close friends that lived just about 2 blocks in from Telephone and Fauna on a big corner lot. Had a nice long drive way that led to the big back yard. This was around 1981 and at that time the planes flew what seemed directly over the house. You could see and hear them approaching so your mind automatically said hold your thought....................... After the rumbling and plane went away you could resume your conversation.

Their mom said she would have to straighten out the pictures on the walls ever so often. The curios on the shelves would dance around. Cracks were in most sheetrock but not sure from planes. They got fed up and moved after about 2 years. That was the only thing I persoanlly liked about this area were the huge lots, but Telephone Rd was at its lowest then and then I think Mykawa Rd is just to the other side? even worse. Truth, sorry. No sugar coating. Peace!

• The title was changed to Garden Villas Grocery Store At 6912 Telephone Rd.

Archived