University Of Texas Land On Highway 59 & University Blvd.

Pleak

On 8/10/2012 at 4:02 PM, wxman said:

Sounds like a Woodlands wanna-be.

By that line of reasoning, the Woodlands is a south Houston wanna-be since Southern Star Amphitheatre was already an up and running outdoor concert venue when the Pavilion was built in the Woodlands.

Or more realistically, the Woodlands is a long-ass drive from Sugar Land and the residents that live there have the money and inclination to tax themselves to get a venue a lot closer to them. The venue is going to be 6.500 seats which is about 1/3 the size of the Woodlands Pavilion - so it should cater to different acts and be more of a complement than a competitor.

The corner of University and 59S is going to be interesting in the next few years. Every couple of years UH adds another building to their campus there, this is now going in there and I read somewhere that Fluor had secured a large chuck of land at that intersection (I want to say 50 acres but I might be wrong since I can't locate it right now) which sounds like they might be moving their campus from Highway 6 and 59S - I believe their lease there runs for about 5 more years.

• Like 1

• 10 years later...

I noticed in the recent real estate transaction Dhanani Private Equity Group buys 50-acres from the Fluor Corporation there were parcels of land owned by the University of Texas System/Board of Regents.

I wonder what could go here in the future? Maybe a small UTHealth Sugar Land Campus? Or they could sell the land to a developer to create a mixed-use development.  I see Brookfield Properties owns the corner parcel.  I would imagine the two would combine the parcels into one big plat.

zspcxhY.jpg

1 hour ago, Highrise Tower said:

I noticed in the recent real estate transaction Dhanani Private Equity Group buys 50-acres from the Fluor Corporation there were parcels of land owned by the University of Texas System/Board of Regents.

I wonder what could go here in the future? Maybe a small UTHealth Sugar Land Campus? Or they could sell the land to a developer to create a mixed-use development.  I see Brookfield Properties owns the corner parcel.  I would imagine the two would combine the parcels into one big plat.

zspcxhY.jpg

If you want to cause an uproar, just draw some sports fields on the UT land.  That would be a sure sign they are secretly planning to force a full-fledged four-year university on our poor benighted little village.  😉  Whining about the PUF starts in 3...2...1...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 4 months later...
On 1/16/2023 at 2:19 PM, Highrise Tower said:

zspcxhY.jpg

This report makes it appear that the UT land is tied to MD Anderson's plans for Sugar Land and they also hold the parcel between TI & Smart Financial Centre. The northernmost parcel is held by Newland.

https://communityimpact.com/houston/sugar-land-missouri-city/development/2023/05/19/sugar-land-to-conduct-development-study-of-tract-5/

"Stantec will conduct an economic and urban design study of Tract 5, which comprises the land around and including the Smart Financial Centre. The study focuses on approximately 83 acres of the tract, which includes two parcels owned by Sugar Land and one by developer Newland.

MD Anderson owns three sections of the tract and plans to construct 500,000 square feet of building space, Mayor Joe Zimmerman said."

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/30/2023 at 8:19 AM, ChannelTwoNews said:

This report makes it appear that the UT land is tied to MD Anderson's plans for Sugar Land and they also hold the parcel between TI & Smart Financial Centre. The northernmost parcel is held by Newland.

https://communityimpact.com/houston/sugar-land-missouri-city/development/2023/05/19/sugar-land-to-conduct-development-study-of-tract-5/

"Stantec will conduct an economic and urban design study of Tract 5, which comprises the land around and including the Smart Financial Centre. The study focuses on approximately 83 acres of the tract, which includes two parcels owned by Sugar Land and one by developer Newland.

MD Anderson owns three sections of the tract and plans to construct 500,000 square feet of building space, Mayor Joe Zimmerman said."

Here are the two possible MD Anderson builds for the site.  500,000 square feet is a lot, so I don't think it's the surgical center.

Sugar Land Cancer Network Site Replacement - $392,200,000
Ambulatory Surgery Center Sugar Land/West Houston - $85,000,000

q1POOLr.png

g6kEL4c.png

Y8GNadP.png

• The title was changed to University Of Texas Land On Highway 59 & University Blvd.