Event Venue - 1102 Sampson St.

I have noticed over the last couple of months that work is being done at the Gray’s Tire Dist. Building across from East End Backyard. It’s been pretty slow-going though. First they put in nice new windows a couple of months ago. Then, last week the finally finished framing the windows. Now, they knocked a huge whole in the wall on the Lamar side and you can actually see that there’s framing done on the inside. Does anyone know what is being planned here? 

5BDBF9A6-4D6F-4403-9760-0AD952C8EC94.jpeg

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Construction At 1102 Sampson St.
16 hours ago, Bmill said:

https://philterhtx.com
I found this website with the address of 1120 Sampson St. looks like it’s a chain with multiple locations

Thanks! I tried to find their website but couldn't. It's probably because I added "the" in the web address.

Hopefully, more information about the Philter will surface soon. I'm not entirely certain this is an out-of-state import. 

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

{ Long time reader first time posting } I live in townhomes near by and was excited to see some activity happening. I’ve casually spoken with different crews over the months, they’ve all said different things- bar,restaurant, office space and event venue. I assume it’s going to be like Ironworks up the road. 

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

On 5/31/2022 at 6:35 PM, Sawitonswamplot said:

I’ve casually spoken with different crews over the months, they’ve all said different things- bar, restaurant, office space and event venue. I assume it’s going to be like Ironworks up the road. 

On 7/23/2022 at 1:18 PM, hindesky said:

Neighbor across the street said event center.

On 7/23/2022 at 5:51 PM, Sawitonswamplot said:

Restaurant/bar facing Sampson, a multi room event venue facing Lamar and possible retail/commercial lease spaces facing roberts. 

Below are additional details about Philter from the plan review inspection report:

Sampson Event Center

• Proposed: 61,983 sf conv't s1 to event ctr; 1102 Sampson St

• Remodel of existing 61,983 gross square foot as follows:

• 1102 Sampson St: 23,625 sf event venue
    • 1129 Sampson St: 13,558 sf event venue
    • 24,800 sf storage

• 3 banquette halls; 7,050 total sf
    • 3,000 sf
    • 1,800 sf
    • 2,250 sf 

• Kitchen: 1,878 sf

• Bar seating: 30

From the wastewater capacity reservation letter:

• 16,318 sqft of banquet hall w/298 occupancy

• 1,905 sqft kitchen (fast food)

• 6,475 sqft full service restaurant w/5,345 sqft of dining area
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bmill said:

An event venue with 300 occupancy and no parking lot?? Are they just expecting everyone to street park? That is ridiculous. 

So lets say about 200 people car-pool, with at at least 3 people per car, thats about 67 parking spots, street parking can 100% support that, the streets in the area are fairly empty. They'll probably end up having to walk 3 blocks at most. Now let's say the other 100 take Uber/ ride sharing (which is usually common because people like to drink and are responsible enough not to drink and drive). If this can be done in cities like LA, Denver, Miami, and even Austin, it can sure as hell work here. We need to get out of that mentality that every single person going to a location needs to drive alone and find parking within 2 ft of the building. 

Edited by Amlaham
  • Like 6

37 minutes ago, Amlaham said:

So lets say about 200 people car-pool, with at at least 3 people per car, thats about 67 parking spots, street parking can 100% support that, the streets in the area are fairly empty. They'll probably end up having to walk 3 blocks at most. Now let's say the other 100 take Uber/ ride sharing (which is usually common because people like to drink and are responsible enough not to drink and drive). If this can be done in cities like LA, Denver, Miami, and even Austin, it can sure as hell work here. We need to get out of that mentality that every single person going to a location needs to drive alone and find parking within 2 ft of the building. 

I agree with everything you stated. While there are no parking lots or garages in proximity to the property, there are several options closer to the Minute Maid Park, Shell Energy Stadium, Toyota Center, East Village, Downtown, etc. The light rail Leeland/Third Ward stop is less than a 5 minute walk. It probably isn't ideal for a lot of people in the summer months to walk. It would be a good idea for the owner to coordinate shuttle services between parking lots and the property for events.

Also, I never understand why street parking becomes such a contentious topic when it comes to businesses and residences coexisting. Most of the residences surrounding this property are townhouses with at least a two-car garage. Unless every resident has more that two vehicles or uses the entire garage for storage, there should be plenty of street parking for visitors to the neighborhood.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

it's been at least 5 years since I've driven to a concert (granted there was about a year with a forced pause in there, but every one of the concerts was rebooked for me, so that was nice).

Uber is such a freedom from certain responsibilities. 

Edited by samagon
  • Like 4

On 2/15/2023 at 12:44 PM, Bmill said:

An event venue with 300 occupancy and no parking lot?? Are they just expecting everyone to street park? That is ridiculous. 

I'm not entirely sure, but I think there will be some parking. The plan review inspection report from the city traffic department seems to point to parking.

You can pull up the inspection report comments before corrections are resubmitted.

• 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to 1102 Sampson St.
  • 7 months later...
  • The title was changed to Event Venue - 1102 Sampson St.