I forget the statistic exactly but I think almost ALL of Galveston County’s government subsidized housing is in Galveston, this despite the fact the vast majority of people who reside in the county live on the mainland.  League City is by far the largest city within the county (population north of 100K), with Texas City also being a big population center.  These two also have greater access to a larger base of jobs than what is solely on Galveston Island, which, aside from the port and UTMB is highly dependent upon tourism.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arche_757 said:

I forget the statistic exactly but I think almost ALL of Galveston County’s government subsidized housing is in Galveston, this despite the fact the vast majority of people who reside in the county live on the mainland.  League City is by far the largest city within the county (population north of 100K), with Texas City also being a big population center.  These two also have greater access to a larger base of jobs than what is solely on Galveston Island, which, aside from the port and UTMB is highly dependent upon tourism.

the linked news item says this is being done by the city of Galveston, not Galveston County.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

As has been stated by other HAIF members, a significant number of the better paying jobs in Galveston County have "moved away" from the City of Galveston to League City and other areas, incorporated or otherwise, in Galveston County.

Despite attempts to diversify to more year round jobs, many of the remaining jobs in the City of Galveston are highly seasonal due to their direct or indirect dependence on tourism. In other words, wages + gratuities (tips) might provide a reasonable standard of living, but only for part of the year. Subsidized housing (free or reduced rate) and UTMB free medical care can offset this to some extent. What any particular group of people consider to be a "reasonable standard of living" is highly subjective.        

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...