Houston Livestock Show And Rodeo

Subdude

I'm actually excited about the lineup this year! It's gone back to its roots of country/western, hurray! I was sooo dismayed last year and I guess other people were too! Too many pop and other acts. YUCK! Hello, it's a rodeo? in Texas?

Yeehaw for George Strait, Robert Earl Keen, and Pat Green!!! :D

The day the Livestock Show & Rodeo introduces a "Brokeback Mountain" lineup, is the day I return to church, confess my sins, and start preparing for Armageddon. :P

The "Brokeback" line up goes on in the crowd, the barns, and behind the scenes (not talkin bout sex). I have met at least one hot cowboy at very show I've ever gone to that I have gone out with. I look forward to meeting my hot small town gay cowboys every year.

DJ, don't try to crawfish on the issue and say your "DIVERSE" statement refers to getting Keith Urban back here. I am not buying it. I know you meant more Black and Latino stars because that is what YOU pointed out. The fact that you say "whatever the NBA does is the NBA's business". Well, shouldn't you hold the same standard for HLS&R ? Whatever they do is their business, right ? That is not the picture you painted with your post. HLS&R is using the same formula they have for the past 35 years or so. What you are failing to realize is that it is a RODEO not the International Festival DJ.

The references to Rev.Al Sharpton and Mr.Aaron were just to show how rididculous it is to try to put HLS&R in that kind of light.

BTW, I am NOT trying to brand you DJ, I hope that you would be better than that and know better than to say that the HLS&R isn't being diverse. The HLS&R commitee is dedicated to getting the best acts available, and to make it enjoyable for all. I see nothing wrong with the lineup. The commitee has limited funds for performers and they get the best acts available with the funds available.

Edited by TJones

The Rodeo was a lot more appealing when we (me and Houston) were still a bunch of hicks. Long before all the Yankees showed up.

Everyday was go-Texan day. Luv Ya Blue, cowboy boots and country belts with your name branded in back.

Now that we are all sophiscated, its just not as appealing to me.

DJ, don't try to crawfish on the issue and say your "DIVERSE" statement refers to getting Keith Urban back here. I am not buying it. I know you meant more Black and Latino stars because that is what YOU pointed out. The fact that you say "whatever the NBA does is the NBA's business". Well, shouldn't you hold the same standard for HLS&R ? Whatever they do is their business, right ? That is not the picture you painted with your post. HLS&R is using the same formula they have for the past 35 years or so. What you are failing to realize is that it is a RODEO not the International Festival DJ.

The references to Rev.Al Sharpton and Mr.Aaron were just to show how rididculous it is to try to put HLS&R in that kind of light.

BTW, I am NOT trying to brand you DJ, I hope that you would be better than that and know better than to say that the HLS&R isn't being diverse. The HLS&R commitee is dedicated to getting the best acts available, and to make it enjoyable for all. I see nothing wrong with the lineup. The commitee has limited funds for performers and they get the best acts available with the funds available.

No crawfish intended, yo :) . But to clear the air, and clear any misinterpretations, Black and Latino stars are not what I meant. I love all kinds of music, and feel that because Houston is a city with a lot of overlooked music, that places like the Houston rodeo are perfect forums of where we can hear it. TJones, if you really thought I was trying to make it a color issue, I could understand where you would be upset. Usually when you hear the word "diverse", we automatically assume that means only "racially diverse". But that's not at all what I'm trying to bring up. When I say diverse, I mean 'DIFFERENT". And I don't see anything significantly different, or a variety of music like there can be. It can still be a rodeo themed day, and have Elvis Costello, an r&b group, even an upcoming rock group somewhere in the bill. And it's not like they don't have the funds for it. It's the biggest event of it's kind in the world.

In regard to the NBA. That's a national company. The All Star Game will be in Houston this year, but will be in Las Vegas next year, another city the next, so on and so forth. But the HLS&R belongs to Houston. What I don't understand is how even though Houston hosts the largest indoor rodeo and livestock show in the world, me being being on the outside looking in, I don't hear anyone talking about it. And I do think the HLS&R has the potential of doing that. Innovation is the key to that, and there's many ways of doing that. Here's a few examples:

1. There's a main stage in Reliant Stadium, right? Why not have a stage or two in the Reliant Parking lot hosting famous musical artist of different genres on weekends? You have Clint Black inside the Stadium, and have a rock group, upcoming country act, or even Paul Wall or something on an outdoor stage partially sponsored by 104, 94.5 and/or 97.9 for promotion.

2. Have the Rodeo broadcasted live by a major network like NBC. Don't they show the Las Vegas Rodeo championships? And have that network show different shots of Houston in the process.

3. How about just having MORE artists a day? Should be able to pay for it if 2million tickets are sold a year, right. Why not make it 3 million?

You have to understand the fact that the International Festival is great and all, but the HLS&R is the most recognizable annual event in Houston city limits. We don't host award shows here. This is THE event for Houston, and I would like to see more Houston events, EXPECIALLY this one, seen more by the world than it is. You don't have to be country to love a good rodeo. I know I'm not, perse...

Edited by DJ V Lawrence

No crawfish intended, yo :) . But to clear the air, and clear any misinterpretations, Black and Latino stars are not what I meant. I love all kinds of music, and feel that because Houston is a city with a lot of overlooked music, that places like the Houston rodeo are perfect forums of where we can hear it.

I didn't misinterpret, DJ. This is exactly my point.

It is the Houston LIVESTOCK SHOW & RODEO. Not the Houston Music Festival, or International Festival, or any other festival. It is put on to showcase livestock and western heritage. What you propose to do is hijack the Rodeo for the purpose of promoting music that has nothing to do with western heritage, simply because it is Houston's most recognizable Festival.

This would be akin to suggesting Ted Nugent play at Cinqo de Mayo, or the Ramones at an MLK festival. They have nothing to do with the festival's purpose, and therefore detract from it. While I am all for Black Heritage Day and Tejano Day, due to the overwhelming contributions to western heritage by these groups, especially in light of the traditional ignorance of their contributions, I do not support bringing in musical acts that don't add to the message of the Rodeo.

Frankly, I am disappointed that the only acts that draw African-Americans are of the hip-hop or R&B genre. Tejano fits the message. R&B does not. But, just because the Rodeo cannot find any popular acts that promote Black western heritage doesn't mean they should cannibalize the entire show and bring in everything.

What musical group did you see playing the Las Vegas Rodeo ?

I think you are missing the point, Rodeo is about being a COWBOY, not a PUNKASS GANGSTA', or Drinking Wine listening to James Taylor albums. How many HIP HOP stars have you seen roping cattle on a trail ride ? How many people in TUXEDOS go to the opera then come home and feed the hogs by the stables ? Do you think that if HLS&R put more "diverse" acts like Yanni, that people that actually listen to him are gonna sell out the Stadium. HLS&R knows their clientel, they will book acts accordingly, they have only been doing it for what 80 something years now. I don't think they need any help from Paul Wall or Chaka Khan to bolster sales. I will go ahead and say it, HLS&R doesn;t want the likes of Paul Wall or LIl' Jon or 36 Mafia as a performer. WHY ? WHY you ask. Ghetto fabulous and Redneck Cowboys just don't mix. That's why.

:mellow:

Edited by TJones

I think the original point of the thread is still being missed. At least the way I see it. The point is that this year's lineup does not have as many big names as usual. Regardless of genre.

The bigger the names the more people that come out and the more money for scholarships. I doubt HLSR breaks ANY attendence records with this lineup. A Beyonce, Mariah, Usher, Los Lonely Boys, Thalia, Shakira would've been nice for Black Heritage and Tejano Day.

No, ProHouston, the original point is not being missed. Here is the original quote:

"I'm kinda baffled. I actually thought the 2004 lineup was the best ever because it was so diverse, and it STILL had the best in country music out there. There's no hip-hop or R&B whatsoever in the lineup(Alicia Keys, Bow Wow, B2K, Beyonce, Earth Wind & Fire). No one from outside North America (Enrique Iglesias, Keith Urban, etc.). It's almost completely country-themed (with the exception of the traditional black and tejano heritage days, Hilary Duff, Sheryl Crow and Maroon 5.)"

You can say it until you are blue in the face, but this is a RODEO. The mission of the HLS&R is to promote agriculture (specifically cattle) and western heritage. DJ's remark that it is almost completely country-themed prompts me to scream, "That's exactly the point!"

This is not a slam on other music genres. Hell, I don't even LIKE C&W. But, it's a RODEO. That's what you play there. Otherwise, it would be a music festival with cows.

I'm actually excited about the lineup this year! It's gone back to its roots of country/western, hurray! I was sooo dismayed last year and I guess other people were too! Too many pop and other acts. YUCK! Hello, it's a rodeo? in Texas?

Yeehaw for George Strait, Robert Earl Keen, and Pat Green!!! :D

So what you and some others are saying is because of the "pop and other" acts, you don't/didn't have enough country/western concerts to attend? What exactly is the issue here? Is this a a complaint that the HLSSR don't have ENOUGH country and Western acts, or is it a complaint that there are too many that are not? There is a difference between the two.

Since I have been in Houston, I have noticed that Houston has changed a heck of a lot. We all know what the Rodeo is but even that has changed along with Houston. Money is to be made and if that means attracting more people, then what's wrong with that? Although I personally am not a huge Hip Hop fan and am actually happy with this years lineup, I know a Jay Z/ Mary J Blige combo would attract a HUUUUUUGGGGGGEEEEEEE Crowd and the Rodeo would make a TON of money.

Again, is this a situation of Country and Western Music fans feeling they don't have enough concerts to attend? Is there now a lack of Western Heritage at the Rodeo? If so, then the Rodeo should do something about that but not at the expense of the Rodeo's new fans. Whether we want to face it or not, the Rodeo has evolved much like Houston has. Making money is now just as much a part of the Rodeo's Heritage as The Western Heritage itself, whether is should be that way or not.

So, then shouldn't jazz or blues or hip-hop or opera or any kind of music festival/event play every kind of music? They would make more money money money. NO they shouldn't. The appropriate music goes with the appropriate event.

Edited by kingkirbythegreatoftexas

No, ProHouston, the original point is not being missed. Here is the original quote:

"I'm kinda baffled. I actually thought the 2004 lineup was the best ever because it was so diverse, and it STILL had the best in country music out there. There's no hip-hop or R&B whatsoever in the lineup(Alicia Keys, Bow Wow, B2K, Beyonce, Earth Wind & Fire). No one from outside North America (Enrique Iglesias, Keith Urban, etc.). It's almost completely country-themed (with the exception of the traditional black and tejano heritage days, Hilary Duff, Sheryl Crow and Maroon 5.)"

You can say it until you are blue in the face, but this is a RODEO. The mission of the HLS&R is to promote agriculture (specifically cattle) and western heritage. DJ's remark that it is almost completely country-themed prompts me to scream, "That's exactly the point!"

This is not a slam on other music genres. Hell, I don't even LIKE C&W. But, it's a RODEO. That's what you play there. Otherwise, it would be a music festival with cows.

Actually, ProHouston hit the point dead-on.

All the artists I mentioned earlier had one thing in common: They all played at the rodeo for their FIRST time. Don't you remember way back when Tim McGraw, Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, Keith Urban, and Brooks & Dunn played at the Rodeo for the first time, and that year there'd be a small buzz about the fact that someone new, bigger, and different was going to be joining the bill with the usual dynamic talents of George Straight, Trisha Yearwood, and Willie Nelson? I just don't see ANY new buzz with this year's line up. THAT'S the point.

It was obvious when Bow Wow, B2K, Jessica Simpson, Beyonce, Iglesius, etc. were on the bill within 3 years ago that HLS&R was making a conscious effort to do something DIFFERENT and have at least a new buzz about the Rodeo that year. When Reliant Stadium hosted the Rodeo for the first time, THAT created a buzz in itself as a reason why it was better that year than the year before.

If making the Rodeo different and innovative each year means adding hip-hop, r&b, more pop or other popular genres of music, then so be it. If there are huge country artists that have NEVER played at the Rodeo before, bring them. But at least do SOMETHING to create that "here's something new and different this year" kind of buzz. HLS&R is already somewhat recognized, but it should at least be able to keep growing, or it will be in trouble in the future :(

i agree the lineup is disappointing, but i don't really care since i'm not into the whole country western "Texas" thing, and i definitely don't like the music.

but last year, i was excited about the rodeo, because of who played. i know lots of people who would never usually go, but went for certain artists and realized they enjoyed the rodeo stuff as well. they reached out to people who would normally laugh at the concept of the rodeo.

i understand where some of you are coming from, it is a Rodeo and livestock show, so you play that kind of music. but over the past few years, its become a lot more then just a rodeo.

if they want to go back to all country, and don't like what they created, that's up to them. whoever they are.

• Like 1

So, then shouldn't jazz or blues or hip-hop or opera or any kind of music festival/event play every kind of music? They would make more money money money. NO they shouldn't. The appropriate music goes with the appropriate event.

Again, I disagree with this. Like skwatra just said, I'm one of those who love the rodeo but I don't necessarily want to see a country artist. The other options interest me more and allow me the opportunity to go to the rodeo and be excited about who is on stage. Just because you like the rodeo doesn't mean you love country music.

Again, I disagree with this. Like skwatra just said, I'm one of those who love the rodeo but I don't necessarily want to see a country artist. The other options interest me more and allow me the opportunity to go to the rodeo and be excited about who is on stage. Just because you like the rodeo doesn't mean you love country music.

That's true, but probably an exception to the rule. Here's the funny thing. I think country/western/texas acts should be the ones playing at the rodeo, but Sheryl Crow is the only act I'll be able to see this year. FYI...I've always said that me, Sheryl Crow, and a strap-on dildo equals happiness forever.

That's true, but probably an exception to the rule. Here's the funny thing. I think country/western/texas acts should be the ones playing at the rodeo, but Sheryl Crow is the only act I'll be able to see this year. FYI...I've always said that me, Sheryl Crow, and a strap-on dildo equals happiness forever.

TMI there Mrs.Kirby, I could have gone all day without having to read that tidbit of info.

Once again, I understand Skwatra and ProHouston's stance. I have a LOT of friends that feel the same way. I in particular am not a fan of most of the country music artists I've heard in the past 2 years on the radio.

Artists who have no business playing the Rodeo:

March 2 -- Sheryl Crow

March 7 -- John Fogerty

March 9 -- Maroon 5

March 16 - Hilary Duff

Why not?

Edited by DJ V Lawrence

Seems like it's all about the concerts now more than before. I haven't been in about 5 years. Last rodeo I attended was the one with Enrique Iglesias performing. Man, he was embarrassingly bad and cheesy.

The cookoff the weekend leading up to the rodeo is what I like. My aunt and uncle always participate, so I'm able to get into theirs and eat for free. Mmm, that's good. Haven't done that in several years, though.

Seems like it's all about the concerts now more than before. I haven't been in about 5 years. Last rodeo I attended was the one with Enrique Iglesias performing. Man, he was embarrassingly bad and cheesy.

The cookoff the weekend leading up to the rodeo is what I like. My aunt and uncle always participate, so I'm able to get into theirs and eat for free. Mmm, that's good. Haven't done that in several years, though.

don't get me wrong. i think the entertainment is fine (country western, black heritage, and tejano performances), but it's like you hardly ever even hear about the other sides of the event. after all it is the houston livestock show and rodeo.

oh well, i haven't really patronized it in years, so i guess i don't have much to complain about.

So what you and some others are saying is because of the "pop and other" acts, you don't/didn't have enough country/western concerts to attend? What exactly is the issue here? Is this a a complaint that the HLSSR don't have ENOUGH country and Western acts, or is it a complaint that there are too many that are not? There is a difference between the two.

Since I have been in Houston, I have noticed that Houston has changed a heck of a lot. We all know what the Rodeo is but even that has changed along with Houston. Money is to be made and if that means attracting more people, then what's wrong with that? Although I personally am not a huge Hip Hop fan and am actually happy with this years lineup, I know a Jay Z/ Mary J Blige combo would attract a HUUUUUUGGGGGGEEEEEEE Crowd and the Rodeo would make a TON of money.

Again, is this a situation of Country and Western Music fans feeling they don't have enough concerts to attend? Is there now a lack of Western Heritage at the Rodeo? If so, then the Rodeo should do something about that but not at the expense of the Rodeo's new fans. Whether we want to face it or not, the Rodeo has evolved much like Houston has. Making money is now just as much a part of the Rodeo's Heritage as The Western Heritage itself, whether is should be that way or not.

um...no. Please don't put words in my mouth, I have no issue. I was just saying how happy I was to see Country come back to the rodeo in abundance, that's all!

I got George Strait tix!! Sure, crappy seats, but that's what happens when members buy all the pre-sale ones, there was nothing left for us wanna-bes. I am so happy though!