Riverside Terrace Historic District

Amlaham

The comments from the residents are correct. If an area is turned into an historic district, doing anything to a structure becomes more difficult, with more difficulty getting permits and approval to perform work. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Avossos said:

I am 100% behind the creation of a historic district. It does way more good, and does prevent from feverish gentrification.

I agree with you.  But at the same time, it has to be applied carefully.  Recently, a historic district was created in an old neighborhood in a city where I used to live.  The poor people who live there are trying to have it repealed because they can no longer afford to fix up their homes.  Instead, well-off people who can afford to fix things up are moving in and buying the homes and the poor people are being shoved out.

I live in the Audubon Place historical district, when I first moved here in 2004 we didn't have any townhomes but in the next few years 4 of them were built. All of them had multiple townhomes. Few years later it became a historical district. We have since had one home burn down after Ike and an old empty lot. Two homes were built according to the new historical standards. We have several older apartments and condos that got grandfathered in because they were built in the '60's or '70's.  I'm glad they passed it otherwise we would be have had a lot more townhomes built here. The old craftsman homes here are beautiful.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, hindesky said:

I live in the Audubon Place historical district, when I first moved here in 2004 we didn't have any townhomes but in the next few years 4 of them were built. All of them had multiple townhomes. Few years later it became a historical district. We have since had one home burn down after Ike and an old empty lot. Two homes were built according to the new historical standards. We have several older apartments and condos that got grandfathered in because they were built in the '60's or '70's.  I'm glad they passed it otherwise we would be have had a lot more townhomes built here. The old craftsman homes here are beautiful.

Voice of the people.  Hard to argue with people who live there.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, hindesky said:

Turner withdraws plans for Historic District.

"The city withdrew a contentious proposal Wednesday to create a historic district in Riverside Terrace in Houston’s Third Ward."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Turner-withdraws-plan-for-Riverside-Terrace-17227941.php

this is quiet sad.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Avossos said:

this is quiet sad.

Many of the residents were not interested in becoming part of a neighborhood where fixing their house would cost far more and involve dealing with the nitwits at the Historic Commission, some of whom have no concept of reasonableness. The participating area was shrinking constantly, to the point that it would be just a few houses.

• Like 2

Getting an Historic Designated  neighborhood is arduous. 
i. Was part of the team for Avondale West designation beginning in 2005.  Later, Mayor Parker decided,  neighborhoods had to do it all over again. Avondale has 700  residences more or less. Historic Districts must be contiguous. If you get. A property own to agree but no other  pro historic property touches it—- essentially it’s. lost. I’m not sure Avondale East and West together make up 30% of that 700. Luckily if a property is next to a district- the owner can apply to be added to historic district.

I write all this to suggest proceeding to get designation, no matter how small. Avondale East is extremely small- maybe 10 houses?

The historic dept atCOH never haunted us.I haven’t found pricing  for upkeep and maintenance to be more expensive- indeed my Moms house in 3rd ward seems more expensive from trimming to house painting. Of course upkeep in 100 year old house is a constant. Of course a lot of our income is  spent on upkeep. For us it was worth it. Losing historic homes to developers is tragic. Once those homes  gone—-they’re lost forever.

Edited by trymahjong
  • Thanks 1

A proposal was made through the city of Houston Archaeological and Historical Commission. The documents submitted to the city show the applicant, Asif Mahmood and a percentage of residents, believe Riverside Terrace deserves recognition for its role in the last decades to integrate people of all colors and religions.

Does he really live in the area? You do better going after zoning instead of this