Is It Me Or Is Sugar Land Getting Too Rich For Me?

chechnya

With all of the new stuff thats going on, it seems like they are obviously catering to the higher class. What about the middle class? Everything is getting more and more expensive sooner or later Sugar Land wont be a good city anymore.

Sugarland's goal is to be the Hollywood of Texas, via catering and calling home to many celebs and business people. I've lived near that area my whole life, and seen them build bigger, pricier, and glitzy homes, neighborhoods, and retail every year. There's no reason why they would want to slow down now.

I don't see why Sugarland would EVER want to cater to the middle class ever again. And why would Sugarland want to? The more expensive Sugarland gets, the more money-spending people would want to move or shop there :mellow:

Chechnya, do you reside in Sugarland? How is the money making Sugarland worse in your opinion?

I don't see why Sugarland would EVER want to cater to the middle class ever again. And why would Sugarland want to? The more expensive Sugarland gets, the more money-spending people would want to move or shop there :mellow:

Chechnya, do you reside in Sugarland? How is the money making Sugarland worse in your opinion?

The transformation of Sugarland and Pearland from podunk villages to upscale suburbia is a kind of gentrification that will never get mentioned as there is not likely a "racial component". Still, some people likely have gotten displaced and others will never be able to live there, the same kinds of things we hear when the selfish yuppies move in.

The transformation of Sugarland and Pearland from podunk villages to upscale suburbia is a kind of gentrification that will never get mentioned as there is not likely a "racial component". Still, some people likely have gotten displaced and others will never be able to live there, the same kinds of things we hear when the selfish yuppies move in.

Selfish yuppies? I thought this was the American dream. Work hard, make money and buy a place you can raise your kids.

i think what danax is saying is that it's more related to the "selfish yuppies" infiltrating once affordable (to the average joe) areas and displacing the former residents.

it does happen everywhere, though. the same overpriced crapola houses are going up in the city.

i think what danax is saying is that it's more related to the "selfish yuppies" infiltrating once affordable (to the average joe) areas and displacing the former residents.

it does happen everywhere, though. the same overpriced crapola houses are going up in the city.

Thing about it is, the "average joes" sold as soon as they were showing a profit, before the "house flippers" came in to jack up the prices and do the same thing.

Thing about it is, the "average joes" sold as soon as they were showing a profit, before the "house flippers" came in to jack up the prices and do the same thing.

true enough, they are not there anymore...but, i have witnessed similar situations where people were essentially forced to sell because of rising costs (and a hefty sum for the sale i am sure). of course, their houses were bulldozed and flipped for about four times as much as they got.

I should've put the selfish yuppies in quotes because I was being sarcastic. What I was trying to say was that, in other, typically inner-city areas, we hear the rants about how gentrification causes displacement etc. and is usually portrayed as a bad thing in that sense, whereas when it happens in suburbia, albeit to a lesser extent perhaps, nothing will be mentioned because it's not happening in "ethnic" neighborhoods, even though it might be causing similar effects.

In other words, if they had turned South Park or Channelview into something like Pearland, we would never hear the end of it.

For some reason as suburban as Sugar Lad is I always thought of it as the urban suburb. You really do not even feel too far from Houston because the area is so established and built up already. Driving down some of the elm tree canopied streets in Sugar Lad has the same feel as if you are in the inner loop somewhere.

Sugarland's goal is to be the Hollywood of Texas, via catering and calling home to many celebs and business people. I've lived near that area my whole life, and seen them build bigger, pricier, and glitzy homes, neighborhoods, and retail every year. There's no reason why they would want to slow down now.

My family moved here 19 years ago. Im 19 years old and i agree with what you say. Sooner or later people will get tired of the few stores that in the towne center. If you look at all of the new "master bland communities" in sugar land within the last 5 years, they have all been "upscale" in the sense of price. I honestly wouldnt be surprised if Sugar Land used eminent domain and forced all of the people behind the sugar factory to move out. Thats the likely plan

My family moved here 19 years ago. Im 19 years old and i agree with what you say. Sooner or later people will get tired of the few stores that in the towne center. If you look at all of the new "master bland communities" in sugar land within the last 5 years, they have all been "upscale" in the sense of price. I honestly wouldnt be surprised if Sugar Land used eminent domain and forced all of the people behind the sugar factory to move out. Thats the likely plan

They can't move them out to replace them with private developement, though. I think there's a new state law against that.

I know what you're refering to, and that wouldn't surprise me too much either if that's what Sugarland wanted. (Though it may be illegal). The property value around ALL of Sugarland is probably rising, possibly making it a good deal for those who live behind the old Imperial Sugar mill to sell the land eventually to a developer, and remodel the neighborhoods eventually into upscale. Wouldn't surprise me if someone tries that within the next 10 years.

Sounds like someone has an agenda.

They can't move them out to replace them with private developement, though. I think there's a new state law against that.

I don't think that law made it. I believe our illustrious state government drooped the ball on that also. Am I wrong on that?

My parents live in First Colony and I love all the things they are doing. The landscaping is particularly well done. The oaks are trimmed to grow fast and tall. And the commercial buildings all have at least a consistent look.

Also I do think they cater to the middle class. Even in River Stone, which is a newer big developement they have houses that start from the 100's to the 700's. 100 for a new house is pretty inexpensive. Plus you can always find a good stock of older homes in the established subdivisions. So I don't see how they are only catering to the upper middle class.

Went to Sugarland for the first time its very nice the first actual suburb I would live in. Everything is so perfectly planned. Went to Sweetwater whoah that is one neighborhood, Is it true the that celebs live there? What is with the fake guard gates?

I honestly wouldnt be surprised if Sugar Land used eminent domain and forced all of the people behind the sugar factory to move out. Thats the likely plan

I heard this yesterday - sorta.. Someone asked me if it was true that the "quarters" were being bought out and redeveloped.

Any info?

I heard this yesterday - sorta.. Someone asked me if it was true that the "quarters" were being bought out and redeveloped.

Any info?

I believe that is the case, even the Special Ed. school back there is gonna be gone. I think a developer is trying to buy everyone out.

My parents live in First Colony and I love all the things they are doing. The landscaping is particularly well done. The oaks are trimmed to grow fast and tall. And the commercial buildings all have at least a consistent look.

Also I do think they cater to the middle class. Even in River Stone, which is a newer big developement they have houses that start from the 100's to the 700's. 100 for a new house is pretty inexpensive. Plus you can always find a good stock of older homes in the established subdivisions. So I don't see how they are only catering to the upper middle class.

Actually, Riverstone is priced from the mid 200s to over 1 million.

Went to Sugarland for the first time its very nice the first actual suburb I would live in. Everything is so perfectly planned. Went to Sweetwater whoah that is one neighborhood, Is it true the that celebs live there? What is with the fake guard gates?

There are some sports celebs back there, Golf Course is pretty decent, those guard gates used to be functional. :D

• 2 months later...
There are some sports celebs back there, Golf Course is pretty decent, those guard gates used to be functional. :D

I drove down Palm Royale the other day and their are some freaking huge houses along there. There was only one gated section I saw, Grand Manor drive. From zillow.com it looks like about 20 homes back there. But some of the ones in there and along Palm Royale have to be in the 12000+ sq ft range, some of the largest around. One looked to be pushing 20k based on a total random guess. It looked about 200 feet wide.

So who are these ath-lebrities?

I should've put the selfish yuppies in quotes because I was being sarcastic. What I was trying to say was ...

Some of us "got it". Others like to take everything literally and start an arguement tyring to be holier than thou.

• 1 year later...
...some of the ones in there and along Palm Royale have to be in the 12000+ sq ft range, some of the largest around. One looked to be pushing 20k based on a total random guess. It looked about 200 feet wide.

So who are these ath-lebrities?

Most of the mansions on palm royale are owned by wealthy asian and european business owners. Tracey McGrady "T-Mac" lives in grand manor. ( i saw it on the news)...

i know one of the mansion's is owned by a software guy.

I don't think there is a "racial component" at least not for Pearland. I think it is more of a $$$$ component. I lived in Pearland and graduated from Pearland High School, it is weird though, but I never worried about someones race. Hell, in pearland the majority of my black friends had bigger and nicer homes, cars, etc. than most people I knew in Pearland.

FYI I don't like what Pearland has become. Broadway is horrible as is Dixie Farm Road. I liked the old Pearland ; ; was a close community back then!

The guard gates were also in place in Sugar Creek up until the 1980s. Reportedly, they were taken down because the City was looking to annex the neighborhood and also the neighborhood's main thoroughfare (Sugar Creek Boulevard) is connected to a major west Houston thoroughfare (Dairy Ashford). I also saw a guard tower at the entry to Oyster Point in First Colony. Any word on whether or not they had gates in earlier times?

FYI I don't like what Pearland has become. Broadway is horrible as is Dixie Farm Road. I liked the old Pearland ; ; was a close community back then!

Didn't Pearland annex a lot of areas?

With a burgeoning population, Pearland will never be a "close community" ever again.

For some reason as suburban as Sugar Lad is I always thought of it as the urban suburb. You really do not even feel too far from Houston because the area is so established and built up already. Driving down some of the elm tree canopied streets in Sugar Lad has the same feel as if you are in the inner loop somewhere.

I grew up in Sugarland, and I rememeber it being nothing but farmers land and rice fields. Not anymore. When I think of Sugarland, i think of The Woodlands.. Just look at First Colony Mall with its trendy little shops. Things are changing drastically out in Ft Bend Co.

• 1 month later...

Archived