Houston Speedway (Bellaire Speedway) On Stella Link Rd.

57Tbird

Was the dirt track not there in the 30's??

I don't think so, but I'm not positive. I always thought that the track came after the park was built. Maybe Sparky can comment. There was a dirt track off Stella Link between Bray's Bayou and Bellaire Blvd back in the late 20's - mid 30's, referred to as Bellaire Speedway, I think.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

I have seen that '44ish pic before on posts/threads out here in the past. I believe that was truly a popular race track back in the day around where Pershing Middle school is now.

I think it was some sort of private thing. There's no parking, no stands, no buildings. Could have been for horse training. The small track is about 800 yard, maybe more, 880 would make it 4 furlongs. The big track is over 1.25 miles.

• Like 1

You mean this old race track seen on Google Earth 1944 historical view?

No, i'm already aware of that one, where pershing middle school is now. 

i'm just an idiot and legitimately thought that drainage ditch was a race track. it was the aerial view that fooled me. :/

No, i'm already aware of that one, where pershing middle school is now. 

i'm just an idiot and legitimately thought that drainage ditch was a race track. it was the aerial view that fooled me. :/

Don't feel bad, I've similar gaffes in trying to ask what something used to be. Some of those are best left unsaid.  :mellow:

• 9 months later...

I am currently in the Bellaire Coffee Shop and they have a copy on the counter of "Life and Times Around Bellaire, Texas 1909-2013" Fourth Edition by J. Michael McCorkle. Page 15 shows a photo of the race track (now Pershing MS) from 1929. "Bellaire Raceway Park, built in the mid-1920s, south of Bellaire Boulevard at Stella Link. The multi-purpose raceway consisted of a short inner track and a longer outer track. Automobiles and horses raced on the inner track and on special occasions airplanes raced cars along the outer track. In this scene, helium balloons are preparing to launch for a distance race... Local real estate agents often distributed free tickets to the various races as a means to promote the area and encourage people to visit the City of Bellaire." There are some grandstands shown at the central western section, overlooking the straightaways of the inner and outer tracks. I wish I could post the photo, but I respect the copyright.

Interesting book. I had no idea that there was once a monorail in 1956 on South Main and Kirby (1/4-mile test track) because this was a proposed site for the 1962 World's Fair. "But the people of Houston did not want to look like Chicago or New York City. Eight months later it was removed by popular demand and moved to the Texas State Fair in Dallas."

And there was another monorail around the Hobby Airport parking lot! In 1972. But, according to this book, the local taxi driver's union killed plans to extend it to downtown.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to 2