Captain Benny's Oyster Bar At 7409 South Main St.

dbigtex56

On 9/19/2010 at 3:38 AM, Subdude said:

There was another boat restaurant on South Main not far from the Shamrock. It was mainly seafood, of course.

Captain Benny's? I've eaten there, but it's been nearly 30 years...

The Rice Hotel was decrepit, boarded up, and smelled like urine.

Must be one of those sense-memory things, but I still cannot walk down the sidewalk past the Rice without smelling ghost wino pee.

aYJiHVg.jpg

There was another boat restaurant on South Main not far from the Shamrock. It was mainly seafood, of course.

/quote]

Yes, that was the old Captain Benney's which used to sit across the street from The Stables Restaurant off of S. Main at Greenbriar. I think there is a sports medicine hospital there now.

The boat was back from the road towards Bray's Bayou. It looked like a real boat, but I'm not sure if it was or not. The new building, further up S. Main by Target is just shaped like a boat. Many of the Oilers along with Bum Phillips used to be regulars at the old Captain Benny's.

Yes, that was the old Captain Benney's which used to sit across the street from The Stables Restaurant off of S. Main at Greenbriar. I think there is a sports medicine hospital there now.

The boat was back from the road towards Bray's Bayou. It looked like a real boat, but I'm not sure if it was or not. The new building, further up S. Main by Target is just shaped like a boat. Many of the Oilers along with Bum Phillips used to be regulars at the old Captain Benny's.

The original location of Capt. Benny's was at Main @ Holcombe, caddy-corner from the Shamrock. It was a real shrimp boat with a door cut in the side and a horshoe-shaped bar and cooler inside and not much else, very limited menu, too, according to my brother, who went often. Later moved down to the Greenbriar location.

Benny was an oyster shucker at Bill Williams who opened his own place when BW closed. See the posts including the quotes from vonroach in this thread.

• The title was changed to Captain Benny's Oyster Bar At 7409 South Main St.

Archived