Stadium Bowl At 8200 Braesmain Dr.

isuredid

Like roller rinks, it appears to me that bowling alleys are slowly becoming things of the past. Are there any still open in Houston?

As far as the inner-loop. the Palace Lanes on Bellaire Boulevard are still open, but Stadium Bowl on Braesmain closed down.

I used to hang out at the Gulfgate bowling alley as a kid.

• 4 years later...

An additional note, which may confuse the issue more. I have corresponded with a gentleman who was involved with the Houston music scene in the late 1950s. He was not into country but modern and cocktail jazz. He remembers playing a few dates at a private club inside Stadium Bowl in 1959 with the Bobby Doyle Trio. The club was definitely not named the Hitching Post. He remembers the bowling lanes as being right at the junction of S. Main and OST. So did the Texas Corral/Paladium become or get replaced by Stadium Bowl? Where was Stadium Bowl? Is it in that 1957 aerial?

BTW, he can date this to 1959 exactly because he was asked by Doyle's bassist, Kenny Rogers, to help the trio out when Larry Hovas left to try his luck on Broadway before heading to Hollywood in the mid-60s and landing the gig for which he is most known on Hogan's Heroes.

Archived