Hemphill Ford Dealership At 6600 South Main St.

Subdude

That's a great picture Subdude. Do you know the location in the picture? I live in Smithville and I am only about 45 miles from Austin. As soon as I can I will be making a trip to the state library there to look at some old phone books there. I am making a list and will get as many addresses as I can find for these dealers and a lot of other old places in Houston from the thirties through the seventies. 

Another old dealer that I thought was Thad Felton Ford.

post-11998-0-17911700-1391448818_thumb.j

That's a great picture Subdude. Do you know the location in the picture? I live in Smithville and I am only about 45 miles from Austin. As soon as I can I will be making a trip to the state library there to look at some old phone books there. I am making a list and will get as many addresses as I can find for these dealers and a lot of other old places in Houston from the thirties through the seventies. 

Another old dealer that I thought was Thad Felton Ford.

6600 South Main.  That's the Medical Towers building on the left.

Saint Luke's Hospital I believe.

It clearly says St Luke's and has the cross but it has me puzzled. St Luke's is to the left of where you see the lit sign. You can see part of a lit sign just to the right of the medical towers building. I am not sure but I think it is part of the Texas Children's hospital. St Luke's would be in that general area. It is a possibility that St. Luke's was once on the west side of Main but I do not remember it being there. This is a puzzle for sure. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this.

It clearly says St Luke's and has the cross but it has me puzzled. St Luke's is to the left of where you see the lit sign. You can see part of a lit sign just to the right of the medical towers building. I am not sure but I think it is part of the Texas Children's hospital. St Luke's would be in that general area. It is a possibility that St. Luke's was once on the west side of Main but I do not remember it being there. This is a puzzle for sure. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this.

The picture was taken from west of Main, looking east; from where the new Rice building is or where the Baylor clinics building is.  I wish I could zoom in on the picture. ;)  I didn't even see the cross until you mentioned it.  I don't think the current Texas Children's buildings are in that picture.  The lit sign to the right of the medical towers building could be Methodist.

I was mistaken.  It was both Texas Children and St Luke's.  This aerial shot shows the layout at the time.  The two hospitals formed an "H" at an angle to Main/Fannin, with St Luke's behind and Texas Childrens in front.  The car lot is on the bottom left of the photo.

Med_Center_Aerial.jpg

I was mistaken.  It was both Texas Children and St Luke's.  This aerial shot shows the layout at the time.  The two hospitals formed an "H" at an angle to Main/Fannin, with St Luke's behind and Texas Childrens in front.  The car lot is on the bottom left of the photo.

Med_Center_Aerial.jpg

The tower at the bottom left with the aqua blue glass is a Medical building not a hospital. On either side of it was the car lot and other side of the tower was Bill William"s chicken and oyster bar. I went to a shrink in that tower when I was 12 years old that ended me in military school for 3 years all because I had trouble reading, dyslectia wasn't much know about in 1962. I also had a dermatologist in that building that used to burn my face with dry ice every 2 weeks for a whole summer.

I finally see the light. The Hemphill Ford lot was between Main and Fannin on the south side of the Medical Towers building. Their main dealership must have been on the south west corner of Dryden and Main as that would be 6600 S. Main. I was thinking that the picture was taken from Dryden street of the dealer at 6600 S. Main, that is why I could not figure out why you could see St Luke's from that angle. Now I see that the picture must have been taken from Main street looking toward the east. Glad I got that cleared up, that was bugging me to no end.

Hemphill also had a used lot between Main and Fannin at Holcomb.

This is an areal shot of it from about the early sixties. The model cars was a display at a private showing for dealers of the new Fords for 1962. It supposedly was the Hemphill lot on Holcomb between Main and Fannin.

post-11998-0-39410400-1391789959_thumb.j

post-11998-0-97376500-1391789991_thumb.j

Archived