Bellaire Skating Rink At 1122 Chimney Rock Rd.

• 4 months later...
I'm not sure if there is/was one there but I remember the one on Bellaire. I think it was called the Bellaire Skating Rink back in the 70's. I'm sure it's gone now.

The Bellaire Skating Rink was actually located on Chimney Rock near Gulfton. I went there plenty of times in the mid 60's. Bayland Orphange was across the street.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

An old friend recently pointed out to me where this rink's location used to be. South Rice Ave. near the present day Westpark. There is a leather goods store there now I believe.

Someone else on this thread said it was on Chimney Rock near Gulfton. That doesn't sound right.

I used to go to the Bellaire Skating Rink with my best friend every Friday. We would eat chili-pies, play air hockey, and skate with the boys when they turned out the lights. Those were the days! :)

• 2 years later...

OK, there has to be someone here that remembers the name and location of this place. We lived in Meyerland near JJHS and I remember we had to drive a while to get to this rink. It was a HUGE quonset hut. If I remember right, at the time the parking lot was dirt. To get in was 75 cents or so for kids and skate rental was just to the right of the door after paying. At one end (the left side) of the skate rental counter was a constantly blowing 3 foot fan. There were a bunch of benches in front of the rental counter to change your skates. The snack shop (painted pink I think) was straight ahead 10 feet or so and on the left after paying your entrance fees. Most of the time on weekends the snackbar was packed with pre-booked birthday party celebrations. Right behind the snack bar they had a great juke box that was kept stocked with the latest tunes. I distinctly remember one of the most popular skating songs was Snoopy vs. the Red Baron by the Royal Guardsmen. Next to the juke box were 2 or 3 pinball machines. The restrooms were over on the other side past the multiple rows of benches.

They used to have one or two guys on skates hanging out in the center area with whistles that would act as skating cops yelling at you if you went too fast, cut off others or tried dangerous stuff.

The main thing I remember is they had 4 huge 8 foot tall fans at the end of the rink. In the summer there was nothing better than stopping in front of one of those fans and cool down for a few minutes.

Oh yea, the big mirrorball was there hanging in the center of the rink. With the lights off it made for a pretty good light show.

OK, cue up These Boots Are Made For Walking in the jukebox and enter the rink for 5 minute speed skating marathon.

1zvi52.jpg

jq3m2q.jpg

I would be willing to bet it was Bellaire Skating Rink. I went there quite a bit with church youth group functions.

It was on Chimney Rock between Glenmont & Gulfton. on the right side as you drive north (toward 59). The last time I paid attention driving by there it was a restaurant supply place if I am not mistaken.

Thanks everyone for your info. The Bellaire Skating Rink rang a bell in my noggin when I read it. I looked it up on google street view and the Ace Mart that is there now looks like the property. Same dirty brown parking lot with a huge building offset from the street. I was just a 7 yo kid and I know the ride was not super long like the other side of Sugarland so the Bellaire Rink fits well.

I did a little digging and found this Facebook page about the Bellaire Skating Rink. No photos yet of the rink interior itself yet but it sounds like they are working on it.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=42020488558

I started going to the Bellaire Roller Rink every weekend starting in 6th grade when I went to Condit. The Robinsons owned it then and a lot of people don't know this but Mr. Robinson had after hour poker sessions that my grandfather went to and also the future Police Chief Lofton of Bellaire. I went there and worked there while Russell Bruce ran the place. A man named Greg Daniels had it for a few years and had futurist dreams for the place(even bought airplane seats, anyone remember those?), and eventually David Cole owned it at the end. A pipe busted a couple of days before Christmas one year and with the floors being wood, they warped. He tried to keep it open for several weeks but it was too much of a liability and too much to repair it, so he closed the doors.

bellairerink5.jpg

bellairerink4.jpg

bellairerink1.jpg

bellairerink2.jpg

bellairerink3.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
you know, depending on your age, you may be recalling the skating rink that was originally in the parking lot of Gateway Swimming Pool on Main just south of Braesmain. That place always had a shell parking lot...

I remember so distinctly, that shell parking lot (Gateway pool & rink) There was something in the air around that place that smelled like spent shot gun shells or something. Can't figure it...never came across that smell anyplace else, ever. It's funny, the nuttie things that linger in one's memory.

• 3 years later...

The Bellaire Skating Rink was indeed on Chimney Rock near Gulton. Went to a lot of birthday parties there as a kid, late fifties and early sixties. It was really a big deal for us to go ice skating at Winterland. My wife at that time as a kid lived near the Shamrock Hotel and had a season pass to swim at the pool there. As a native of Houston one of the things I really miss is Valian's Pizza. I can so fondly remember the amazing taste of that pizza and from NYC to California, I have never had a pizza that tasted quite like it. Another neat memory is getting a bucket of Col Sanders Kentucky Fried Chicken. This was long before any fast food places. It was served at a restaurant that I believe was on W Gray and my Dad would call ahead and they would sell it to go. Not the same chicken you get today. I can't remember the last time I have had KFC, not healthy eating for this old boomer.

The Bellaire Skating Rink was indeed on Chimney Rock near Gulton. Went to a lot of birthday parties there as a kid, late fifties and early sixties. It was really a big deal for us to go ice skating at Winterland. My wife at that time as a kid lived near the Shamrock Hotel and had a season pass to swim at the pool there. As a native of Houston one of the things I really miss is Valian's Pizza. I can so fondly remember the amazing taste of that pizza and from NYC to California, I have never had a pizza that tasted quite like it. Another neat memory is getting a bucket of Col Sanders Kentucky Fried Chicken. This was long before any fast food places. It was served at a restaurant that I believe was on W Gray and my Dad would call ahead and they would sell it to go. Not the same chicken you get today. I can't remember the last time I have had KFC, not healthy eating for this old boomer.

• The title was changed to Quonset Hut Skating Rink Circa 1966

Archived