Houston Main Street Airport At 9100-A South Main St.

4PROP

On 2/8/2011 at 10:11 PM, Ross said:

I get the baseball stadium where Fingers is, and an oval track and random buildings where the church is

The track across from Buff stadium was used for midget races. Not sure if stockers ever ran there. It is talked about in PBS's "Houston; Remember When" episode #3. Note that Playland Park didn't even have a race track yet. This era of photos certainly proves there once were race tracks on Stella Link.

I used the Googly Earth flight simulator function to visit the old airfields around town, even the South Main Airport across the street from Playland. It is an amazing pleasure to see all this again.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Houston Main Street Airport On South Main Rd.

Very rare find!! A business ad from The Thresher magazine December 15, 1939. wow!!

Learn To Fly---

Student Flying Instructions.

Goverrment Licensed Planes and Pilots

Rates as Low as $0.10 per minute

Free Transportation From Institute (Rice I assume) to Airport.

Houston Main Street Airport - South Main Road - H-4513.

3xLfCST.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Houston Main Street Airport On South Main St.
  • 5 months later...

I found South Main Airport on the 1950 Sanborn map. On the map you can see the 3 hangars and the office & school building.  On the map the address appears to be 9100A South Main Street.  Actually, the airport is in between 9000 and 9100B South Main. I'll assume the airport was at 9100A South Main.  I tried searching around for that particular address and nothing pulled up. This is a map, so we must go by what is stated, 9100A South Main. 

I will combine this with the knowledge from airfields-freeman.com.  

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/tx/Airfields_TX_HoustonS.htm#maintst

The 1945 AAF Airfield Directory described Houston Main Street Airport as a 108 acre L-shaped property having 3 sod runways, the longest being a 2,200' east/west strip.

The field was said to have 3 hangars, the largest being a 100' x 60' wood & metal structure.

Houston Main Street Airport was described as being owned & operated by private interests.

According to Micheal McMurtrey, a Cessna T-50 was registered to Nierth Aero Services at Main Street Airport.

2X8XKR7.png

VNBkNeW.png

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Houston Main Street Airport At 9100-A South Main St.