Plantation Club At 9101 South Main St.

57Tbird

Re: The Plantation - if this is the same one I've seen mentioned in ads and 'nightlife' columns in the papers in the 40s and 50s, this was one of the biggest nightspots in town. It was so well known the ads and stories never mentioned an address; I thought it was on lower Main.

There was a Plantation on South Main, known to regulars there as "The Plant". It was was on the east side of Main, between OST and Playland Park. Playland was just north of where Murworth is now. You're right. It was very popular with young, night-clubbers in the 40's.

Thanks also, Subdude, from me for all the great, old pictures!

• Like 1

There was a Plantation on South Main, known to regulars there as "The Plant". It was was on the east side of Main, between OST and Playland Park. Playland was just north of where Murworth is now. You're right. It was very popular with young, night-clubbers in the 40's.

That makes more sense. I remember reading in nightlife columns about (big) bands playing there, which doesn't look like it would work in the place pictured. I imagine 'Plantation' was a popular name for a night club in Houston.

My first guess was South Main but then I thought I picked up a hint it was in the 300 block of Main.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I cannot beleive you guys found a photo of the Old Plantation Club! My mom says they used to load up all the gang and go to some of the best Big Bands there! She was fortunate to be there at the height of the swing era. She says they had jitter bug dance contests. Wonder if anyone has photos of the Aragon Ballroom? She says that was another big hot-spot. Everyone would go eat at the several Prince's Drive through restaurants afterwards after dancing the night away. I am sure someone has already brought up the old Shamrock Hotel Ballroom? Glad my mom has an awesome picture of her in a formal in the lobby of the Rice Hotel during a Gala event circa 1955. Where can people view more photos of long gone ballrooms, theaters?

Thanks for the memories...

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
Indeed. I do have interior photos I posted earlier, but the link appears to be broken. I had already promised someone else to repost it when I get back.

I sure hope we get to see.

To confirm mom said this was a very elegant place to eat great food. I may have mistakenly said people danceing but that was The Plantation. So in any case it would be nice to see the interior pics of the Normandie Supper Club Restuarant. Was told it was quite large and spacious. :P

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Sue Payne, Agnes McCandless (sp?), and Aurora and Virginia Bowen.

I am not familar with any of these names, but they must have worked there with my mom. I had been gone from the Park for a while so I did not know some of the newer help.

There was an other time that a wheel came over the same place but did not hit anyone.

Tbird, your reply was edited so I could not read it. To change the subject again do any of you remember The Plantation night club right next to the Park? They had big name bands that used to come and play there. Further down the Hi-Way was a root beer drive in that showed free short movies. I can't remember if it was before or after the South Main Drive in Theater. Back to the Park. Someone had mentioned the park giving away free dyed rabbits on Easter. Sometimes my brother, sister, and I were the younger kids in the pen. We also gave out baby ducks. Only later did we find out how cruel that was. When the racetrack land was sold, that also contained the land that was under half of the coaster. Once the coaster was "cut in half" the park did go into a decline. I wonder if any one has any picture of that. Sparky

• Like 1

• 14 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I found some information!  While browsing old issues of University of Houston's The EXtra publication dated November 5, 1948. The magazine contained an add for the club. Wow!!

The add reads:

Bobby Meekers Plantation 9101 S. Main, Arthur Long, Mgr. M-2-4454

Now Playing-

Danny Beckner & His Mad Cap Merrymakers.

Opening, Nov. 12th- Sonny Dunham & Orchestra.

Future attractions- Chuck Foster - Jan Garber - Ted Weems.

A35u3k2.png

• The title was changed to Plantation Club At 9101 South Main St.
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

wow!!

I found some marketing material for "The Plant".  So cool!

Fun fact, in Houston, there was a total of 3 clubs called Plantation.

- Gary Smith's Plantation Club At 215 Milam St.
- Plantation Club At 9101 South Main St.
- Plantation Club At 10200 South Main St.

Souvenir of -
Plantation Houston, Texas
"Always a Good Time"

f0Yydvl.jpg

ppmPWFh.jpg

• Like 1

Gary Smith's Plantation Club At 215 Milam St. in Market Square was in business from the late 60s to the early 70s. No relation at all to the Plantation on South Main near Playland Park.

The Plantation on South Main did serve hard liquor but it was primarily a dining and dancing club. Some major orchestras played there.

• Like 1