11th Street Bike Lanes

3 hours ago, IWantTransit555 said:

I would be more sympathetic towards cyclists if I actually saw them using the dedicated road lanes.  It is rare that I see a cyclist on Heights Boulevard.  I do see a lot of cyclists on the Bayou Bikeways.  I hope all of you snarky commenters put your money where your mouth is and bike to work every day and use mass transit.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 6

20 hours ago, steve1363 said:

I would be more sympathetic towards cyclists if I actually saw them using the dedicated road lanes.  It is rare that I see a cyclist on Heights Boulevard.  I do see a lot of cyclists on the Bayou Bikeways.  I hope all of you snarky commenters put your money where your mouth is and bike to work every day and use mass transit.

Cyclists are on Heights Boulevard more often that you are, that's for certain. It's pretty pathetic to not have sympathy for someone literally risking their life to ride a bicycle in a dedicated bike lane. 

• Like 7

On 12/6/2022 at 2:28 PM, steve1363 said:

The bike lanes on Heights Blvd have no protection, poorly designed, not safe. That's the reason. 

Come to MKT or WOB trails to have a look. 

• Like 2

I hope all of you snarky commenters put your money where your mouth is and bike to work every day and use mass transit.

Sure do!  I put half a tank of gas in my car over the weekend just to top it up.  The last time I filled up was in July.

• Like 3

On 12/5/2022 at 5:48 PM, Ross said:

The work at Michaux and White Oak already has Nextdoor up in arms. "What do you mean I can't turn left on White Oak from Michaux! Don't you know that is going to destroy all life on Earth, realign the planets, and send the four horsemen of the apocalypse into action? If I can't turn left there, my life is over."

Man the fiery is all over the place about that barrier... It's a little nutty. Lol

It's not that difficult to turn left on Norhill Blvd instead and in fact it's probably even safer because of that blind spot turn on White Oak when driving west. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, pokemonizepic said:

IMG_0292.jpeg.7a710296a0506101ddf0d6dfd4f484b1.jpegIMG_0291.jpeg.201f2895bae156c8730ed5df8ba6b15e.jpeg

Was up there this morning. Currently painted buffers from Heights Blvd to Studewood, and concrete barriers from Studewood to Micheaux, which leaves me with a couple of questions:

1) Will the concrete be extended west?

2) Will the whole thing be extended west to TC Jester? (or at least Nicholson?)

As of now, the whole thing is very short, and west of Heights is where the protection feels most needed.

2 hours ago, 004n063 said:

Was up there this morning. Currently painted buffers from Heights Blvd to Studewood, and concrete barriers from Studewood to Micheaux, which leaves me with a couple of questions:

1) Will the concrete be extended west?

2) Will the whole thing be extended west to TC Jester? (or at least Nicholson?)

As of now, the whole thing is very short, and west of Heights is where the protection feels most needed.

the protection will go until Shepherd, entire plans are here ---> https://www.letstalkhouston.org/11th-street-bikeway

• Thanks 1

On 12/5/2022 at 5:48 PM, Ross said:

What do you mean I can't turn left on White Oak from Michaux!

I now know what the frog felt like when it jumped out of the warming pan of water.  Now, rather than trying to see past all the parked cars and blind corner and almost getting clobbered at least once a month by someone doing 50 down White Oak I cut over to Watson a couple blocks earlier, adding some Zen to my morning commute.  🥷🐸

You would be more sympathetic?  Get over yourself. The focus is building a safer street and correcting mistakes from the past. The Federal Highway Commission felt the street was too wide for the neighborhood and so the city took that recommendation and made the street multimodal. Cry me a river when it comes to who uses the bike lanes and who doesn't. I don't always use the lanes but I know some people need the lanes to feel comfortable when riding. I use transit, the bike lanes, the trails and the street. Keep your sympathy

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, j_cuevas713 said:

You would be more sympathetic?  Get over yourself. The focus is building a safer street and correcting mistakes from the past. The Federal Highway Commission felt the street was too wide for the neighborhood and so the city took that recommendation and made the street multimodal. Cry me a river when it comes to who uses the bike lanes and who doesn't. I don't always use the lanes but I know some people need the lanes to feel comfortable when riding. I use transit, the bike lanes, the trails and the street. Keep your sympathy

The bike lanes were not part of the original plan on 11th, but when the engineering was done, there was enough room to add them. This project was never about bike lanes only.

• Like 1

Drove down 11th Street today on the way to C&D Hardware.  It’s basically laid out exactly like Studewood (with the turn lane in the middle), with the exception of having “protected” bicycle lanes on each side of the road where feasible.

The only visible change on Michaux is a small stretch of protected bicycle lane going north leading to the light on 11th.  I wonder why the city did this?  I feel bad for the little old man on the corner.  He always parked his truck on Michaux next to his house (facing 11th).  The cement barrier looks out of place.  Picture credit belongs to Pokémonizepic…

image.jpeg.22f574e84ef77505ce070f119b35d4ee.jpeg

On 12/19/2022 at 6:52 PM, Ross said:

The bike lanes were not part of the original plan on 11th, but when the engineering was done, there was enough room to add them. This project was never about bike lanes only.

I misunderstood the original post of this thread.  It seems to indicate the project was always about adding bike lanes with a secondary road diet objective.  I don’t live near 11th Street so really don’t know the history.  My main concern with all these street changes was on the White Oak side creating more traffic on interior streets, specifically Norhill - but so far that does not seem to be the case!  The people who live near 11th Street shared the same concerns.  Hopefully they are noticing little change as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steve1363 said:

I misunderstood the original post of this thread.  It seems to indicate the project was always about adding bike lanes with a secondary road diet objective.  I don’t live near 11th Street so really don’t know the history.  My main concern with all these street changes was on the White Oak side creating more traffic on interior streets, specifically Norhill - but so far that does not seem to be the case!  The people who live near 11th Street shared the same concerns.  Hopefully they are noticing little change as well.

that's because people soon realize that they don't feel comfortable driving as fast as they would need to for it to be a faster route than 11th. neighborhood streets in the heights feel smaller than most neighborhood streets for some reason, and then there's always cars parked in the road, which means it's like driving down a tight 1 lane road. so commuters usually end up taking other roads that are designed to handle commuter traffic.

• Like 1