11th Street Bike Lanes

23 hours ago, steve1363 said:

I only found out about this specific project because someone put a Flyer on my gate advising about the changes to White Oak

You may want to choose new places to get your news.  This has been all over the newspaper forever.

• Haha 2

On 6/15/2022 at 9:22 AM, editor said:

Are they not able to go home from another direction?  How is this different than living on a one-way street, or on a cul-de-sac?  You just get used to driving a different way.

I would have to go 2 more exits on 610 to go back around just to turn right instead of left. I could also take 610 in the other direction and loop all the way around Houston, going farther doesn't make sense. The difference between one way streets and this set up is you can go one block over to make a left turn, whereas here you would have to go several blocks to the one intersection its allowed. Then you will have everyone else doing the same, creating traffic that doesn't exist now.

I agree with the opposition in that some of these designs going forward that reduce the number of lanes are not ideal. However, in the massively car centric culture we have in this city, we can afford to make decisions that make environments more inviting for pedestrians and bicyclists at the expense of drivers.

We have many many years to undo the damage that our city has endured from a car centric culture. People will get used to the 11th street turns. I’m very sure everyone will find a way to get home. And once they do, they'll go on a walk and they’ll enjoy the calmer streetscape on 11th street 

• Like 4

On 6/16/2022 at 5:57 PM, editor said:

You may want to choose new places to get your news.  This has been all over the newspaper forever.

If by the newspaper you mean “The Leader” then I guess you may be right.  Admittedly I usually chuck The Leader into the recycle bin.  A topic on HAIF was begun in November 2021 entitled “11th St. Bikeway.”  That topic was then superseded by the current one on 5/6/22.  Nevertheless this is water under the bridge.  It’s obvious this action caught many residents by surprise.

The opposition has 1,683 signatures and the proponents have 898 currently

“We do feel that the mayor is being very fair. He’s looking into this,” said Heights resident Sylvia Blair, who spoke at Tuesday’s city council meeting and opposes the bikeway plan. “He said, ‘I had no idea that people were against this.’”

Yes, mayor, many people were against it.  Just as Big Tex Storage was not the end of the world we will survive this too.  Let’s hope the proponents of this “road diet” avail themselves of their new bike lanes and interior neighborhood vehicular traffic is not greatly altered.  That would be a true win-win for people who live in the neighborhood.

On 6/16/2022 at 1:53 PM, Cottagegrove13 said:

This will obviously push traffic into neighborhood streets which is where the real danger lies. A man was just killed by a car on a neighborhood street because non existent sidewalks pushed him onto the street. The city should focus on widening neighborhood streets (so they are in compliance with their own fire code) and adding sidewalks if they were really concerned about improving safety. 

Are you referencing Ryan Lutz who was killed on West 25th St? There were sidewalks there, but they are frequently blocked by cars in driveways. There are a few gaps because property owners are only required to put them in during a subdivision or major renovation (I do agree that this is a crap system)

4 hours ago, steve1363 said:

It’s obvious this action caught many residents by surprise.

Funny how the car driver average speeds on 11th being 50% higher than the current speed limit doesn't seem to catch residents by surprise 🤔 and there hasn't been a concerted effort to improve safety along this strip. hrmmmm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/14/2022 at 1:41 PM, iah77 said:

Does anyone else have a problem with how crappy some of the city's "safety" interventions look? The way they just build curbs looks horrible and I think people would be more receptive if it did not look so bad. The one they did by Rice drives me crazy and the space has accumulated a lot of tree waste since now it cannot be cleaned easily. In other cities they tend to raise the area and landscape it so it actually looks better than before. 

Absolutely agree. 100%. It’s always good ‘nuf. 

On 6/18/2022 at 8:39 AM, wilcal said:

Are you referencing Ryan Lutz who was killed on West 25th St? There were sidewalks there, but they are frequently blocked by cars in driveways. There are a few gaps because property owners are only required to put them in during a subdivision or major renovation (I do agree that this is a crap system)

Funny how the car driver average speeds on 11th being 50% higher than the current speed limit doesn't seem to catch residents by surprise 🤔 and there hasn't been a concerted effort to improve safety along this strip. hrmmmm

You are grossly embellishing "there were sidewalks there". The sidewalks there are not continuous and frequently end in a ditch or someone's yard. Sometimes they are blocked by cars in a driveway but the bigger problem is that the sidewalk is not complete or continuous and this is the case with many streets in the heights. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cottagegrove13 said:

You are grossly embellishing "there were sidewalks there". The sidewalks there are not continuous and frequently end in a ditch or someone's yard. Sometimes they are blocked by cars in a driveway but the bigger problem is that the sidewalk is not complete or continuous and this is the case with many streets in the heights. 

I think y'all are saying the same thing. 

• The title was changed to 11th Street Bike Lanes
  • 1 month later...

During a public meeting today, the city announced 11th St has been reprioritized on the list of the Mayor’s Street Rehabilitation Program. This means that in addition to the proposed safety improvements, 11th St. will be repaved along two eligible sections:

1) Shepherd to Yale

2) Studewood to Michaux

3) Yale to Michaux will not be repaved but will still be part of the safety improvements.

when possible and within reason the city will also rebuild sidewalks and build out ADA infrastructure (!!) as cherry on the top, if the city damages any curbside blue tiles they will also replace them 

this is huge news 📰 but I know they had to work hard to reprioritize in order to be able to do both projects at once

it’s great that they’ll rehabilitate the street now. Otherwise the safety improvements going in now would have had to be torn apart later on when the city were ready to rehabilitate

CCE501E7-A2EC-456A-996B-32AA8E3A64C6.png

Edited by emmanume
Grammar
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, emmanume said:

During a public meeting today, the city announced 11th St has been reprioritized on the list of the Mayor’s Street Rehabilitation Program. This means that in addition to the proposed safety improvements, 11th St. will be repaved along two eligible sections:

1) Shepherd to Yale

2) Studewood to Michaux

3) Yale to Michaux will not be repaved but will still be part of the safety improvements.

when possible and within reason the city will also rebuil sidewalks and build out ADA infrastructure (!!) as cherry on the top, if the city damages any curbside blue tiles they will also replace them 

this is huge news 📰 but I know they had to work hard to reprioritize in order to be able to do both projects at once

it’s great that they’ll rehabilitate the street now. Otherwise the safety improvements going in now would have had to be torn apart later on when the city were ready to rehabilitate

CCE501E7-A2EC-456A-996B-32AA8E3A64C6.png

That's great news. The Yale(or Heights) to Michaux repave was done a while back, and has contributed greatly to speeding since it's wide and smooth. I drive the speed limit on that stretch and frequently have other cars blow by me at 45 or 50.  I also get honked at sometimes for stopping at Nicholson to let cyclists and pedestrians cross.

I am still amused at the number of people who think the world will end if the road diet proceeds.

• Like 3

Despite raising concerns among some residents , the design work for the 11th St Bikeway in the Heights is nearing completion.. Although there is still room for minor tweaks, it is now up to the city to sign and seal the deal.

https://communityimpact.com/houston/heights-river-oaks-montrose/transportation/2022/08/18/design-work-wraps-up-on-11th-street-bikeway-project-in-the-heights/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, hindesky said:

Are there any plans to install a traffic light at 11th St. and Nicholson St.? I was headed southbound on Nicholson trying to cross 11th, it took me about 10 minutes to be able to cross with all the non stop traffic.

no, from my understanding there will be no additional traffic lights, only pedestrian islands (I imagine similar to what they have on Studewood)

4 minutes ago, hindesky said:

It needs a light that riders, walkers and joggers can tap like the one at Yale St. at 7th St.

Theoretically, drivers on 11th are supposed to stop to let cyclists and pedestrians cross. I always do that, although it has gotten me honked at a few times. The honkers can go f them selves. Here's a street view with the yield to bikes and pedestrians sign. https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7905571,-95.4053615,3a,37.5y,289.77h,79.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGdG3vxsY48PI6rfrxE_fQw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Ross said:

Theoretically, drivers on 11th are supposed to stop to let cyclists and pedestrians cross. I always do that, although it has gotten me honked at a few times. The honkers can go f them selves. Here's a street view with the yield to bikes and pedestrians sign. https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7905571,-95.4053615,3a,37.5y,289.77h,79.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGdG3vxsY48PI6rfrxE_fQw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

On weekends I've had drivers stop to let us go thru but today was at lunch time and the cars just never seemed to end.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, bookey23 said:

Does anyone know what exactly is being implemented on White Oak? I thought this project was only going to affect 11th and Michaux, but I was thrilled to see these traffic barrels when driving down White Oak today!

I dont think White oak is being changed but Michaux is being converted to a "high comfort shared on-street" facility, So I think they are building a modal filter to only allow bikes / pedestrians thru like they have on cavalcade. 

cavalcadescreenshot.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pokemonizepic said:

I dont think White oak is being changed but Michaux is being converted to a "high comfort shared on-street" facility, So I think they are building a modal filter to only allow bikes / pedestrians thru like they have on cavalcade. 

cavalcadescreenshot.png

That bike island will exist on White Oak.  Drivers will no longer be able to turn left onto Michaux from White Oak, nor will they be able to turn left from Michaux onto White Oak.

Michaux will be largely unchanged.

From the website Q&A:  

Thanks for your question. Michaux will remain the same configuration as it is today. The designation will be a shared street (see below) for people biking and driving. Because it is a narrow street with speed humps, there are fewer cars at slower speeds, which makes it a safe street for all ages and abilities. We will add pavement markings ("sharrows") and bikeway signage so that people biking can be guided to other bikeways and destinations, like the future 11th Street bikeway at the north end of Michaux and Stude Park at the south end.

9a4fdc64e7d6a54692eaf59b8bb26fd7_michaux_30.png?1645744830