Inside Houston’s $25 Million Plan To Transform Telephone Rd.

• The title was changed to Inside Houston’s $25 Million Plan To Transform Telephone Rd.
  • 6 months later...

Below are posts about the Telephone Rd: Main Street Revitalization Project from an unrelated topic. These posts are a better fit in this thread.

The posts are from the topic about Tlaquepaque Market.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/49851-tlaquepaque-market

On 1/8/2023 at 7:54 AM, 004n063 said:

...The big question is whether the Harrisburg TIRZ extends the Telephone upgrades this far north/west (there's a federally funded project to upgrade the street from 610 to Lawndale), and whether the Lockwood improvements will extend this far south (presumably they will because of the University Line BRT alignment).

On 1/9/2023 at 10:08 AM, dart330 said:

The Harrisburg TIRZ presented at the last Eastwood Civic Association meeting. They are going to completely redo Telephone from Lockwood to Lawndale.

Was really surprised to hear there is enough ROW to fix & straighten the Dumble intersection so it doesn't require separate traffic light cycles.

And FYI Bohemeo's was originally the Post Office, the gym behind it was the garage for the mail Jeeps.

TIRZ1.png

On 1/9/2023 at 2:16 PM, samagon said:

this is awesome news, did they provide any timelines? are there any more specifics regarding design?

On 1/10/2023 at 9:25 AM, dart330 said:

It is a very complicated area to redesign, so they can't share specifics regarding all the curb cuts, stop signs, and ROW changes until everything is approved to begin public omment. But here are some highlights of the project scope and timeline.

TIRZ2.png

TIRZ3.png

TIRZ4.png

On 1/10/2023 at 9:33 AM, wilcal said:

Either the city or county got a big federal grant to work on Telephone heading south, so I guess this will be an extension of this. 

That proposed cross-section looks amazing. I've been skipping Telephone unless traffic is completely dead when I'm on my bike and coming from the protected lane on Lawndale.

Very exciting about the restaurant project!

Street to Kitchen Thai has the best thai food I've ever had in Houston, but not set up as a "casual" restaurant like many others. I was actually thinking that it would have been nice for them to move to a bigger space like this.

On 1/10/2023 at 9:42 AM, wilcal said:

Looks like a big chunk of the pawn shop's parking lot is actually ROW:

8hwrbbl.png

Using the painted line for westbound Telephone traffic at the light, it is about this much: 

3U9ETHR.png

Definitely looks like enough for a realignment!

On 1/11/2023 at 9:22 AM, samagon said:

thanks for sharing, I lived in Broadmoor for 14 years, so I'm familiar with how weird Telephone is in that area, and I'm sure it will be a challenge.

and yeah, there's actually 2 other projects for Telephone road, one is the Federal grant project which goes from Lawndale to 610, but there's another that the TIRZ 8 (gulfgate) is going to push, which will go from 610 out to Reveille street.

https://www.houstontx.gov/mayor/press/2022/telephone-road-project-grant.html#:~:text=The Telephone Road project is,2.8 miles to Interstate 610.

https://www.tirz8telephoneroad.com/

I can't find the particulars I had once found for the federal project, but hopefully the Lawndale intersection gets redone, since it is the edge of both the EETIRZ and Federal projects, it scares me that this intersection will stay in its current configuration even after this is all done with both parties pointing at the other saying that it wasn't their responsibility.

On 1/11/2023 at 10:00 AM, dart330 said:

The Baird - Lawndale - Broadmoor intersection will be addressed by the TIRZ project. Definitely a hot mess, so lots of changes.

They are also going to incorporate several pedestrian crossings, specifically mentioned  Fourcade - Claremont, but I would expect that at every block.

No mention of the traffic signal at Jefferson - Wesley, not sure what will happen there.

The new designs will be much safer so I am sure it will anger drivers who also hate the Lawndale changes.

On 1/11/2023 at 10:22 AM, hindesky said:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1