True Anomaly Brewing At 4001 Navigation Blvd.

17 hours ago, I'm Not a Robot said:

Happy to see they are going to stay in the area. They have solid distribution all over the city. I always am on the lookout for Great Heights cans when I'm at the store but never seem to see them and end up with something from True Anomaly. 

17 hours ago, JBTX said:

Just down the street from Fitzcarraldo. RIP my liver.

15 hours ago, wilcal said:

Great spot for a brewery! More life on Navigation is great. 

Site looks like a perfect place for them to utilize existing structures and have a great outdoor area/parking.

Houston craft brewery and brewpub True Anomaly is not relocating from their current home at East Village.

I reached out to the brewery about this last month. Shortly after the listing for the building at 4001 Navigation Blvd was removed, True Anomaly applied for a permit with TABC. The brewery said the business isn't moving out of East Village  rather it has other plans for the space.

The 4001 Navigation Blvd property will be used for production only. So, they're expanding their production facility. I didn't know if that was considered newsworthy or not to create a thread about it, so I didn't.

I suppose it's possible the entire operation could relocate there in the future, who's to say. For now though, the building at 4001 Navigation Blvd is for beer production only.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 6

On 4/30/2022 at 6:45 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

I didn't know if that was considered newsworthy or not to create a thread about it, so I didn't.

I’d say any new use for a large commercial building along a major street in an up-and-coming area is worth a post. That’s kind of the whole point of these smaller neighborhood categories in this forum. 

It’s ok that @ljchou posted about it first, you don’t have to be the one to break every bit of news here.

For what it’s worth, I see this as what it is: a proactive move to plan ahead of the I-45 reroute project to make sure they maintain a presence in the immediate area. This is a rather large facility (especially compared to their present operation), so there should be plenty of room to build it out for a tap room, etc. in the near future.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, thedistrict84 said:

I’d say any new use for a large commercial building along a major street in an up-and-coming area is worth a post. That’s kind of the whole point of these smaller neighborhood categories in this forum. 

It’s ok that @ljchou posted about it first, you don’t have to be the one to break every bit of news here.

For what it’s worth, I see this as what it is: a proactive move to plan ahead of the I-45 reroute project to make sure they maintain a presence in the immediate area. This is a rather large facility (especially compared to their present operation), so there should be plenty of room to build it out for a tap room, etc. in the near future.

I completely agree. Especially in the East End forum where we don't get a ton of activity.

Also, do we have a thread about the SW corner of Milby @ Navigation?

Looks like some site work is happening. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

Yes, I'm fully aware the purpose neighborhood forums serve on this site. If you haven't noticed, I also share updates here and there that may seem insignificant to some but helpful to others. So, I understand the purpose.

However, my initial post was more about my hesitation to share this in March because it's not going to be the big renovation or relocation some of the posters assumed or wished for, based off of their comments above. Aside from brewing equipment being installed, the building itself isn't going to undergo any major exterior renovations (and my understanding is there may be very minimal exterior renovations).

18 hours ago, wilcal said:

I completely agree. Especially in the East End forum where we don't get a ton of activity.

I mean no harm in saying this, but if this forum or any of the others outside of the Going Up forum aren't active in terms of projects, renovations, or general discussions, is is not up to the users to make an effort to reverse that?

After years of casually browsing/lurking on this site, my understanding of the forum is it's what you make it.

If there isn't a lot of content in a particular forum, then make contributions to the forum with useful information that will interest others. This is  especially beneficial to those who may live or work in the area and would like to know of projects big or small in their neighborhood. In turn, this will encourage more participation either by the creation of new threads or discussions in existing threads of interest.

I see a lot of construction, renovations, for sale/lease signs when driving around East downtown and the Greater East End. I've also come across real estate listings for properties on this side of town.

So, there is clearly lots of active projects that could be shared and generate more activity in this forum and similar neighborhood forums. These projects, be it minor renovations, change in ownership, or new tenants, are plenty. But it isn't being posted or shared as frequently.

The problem is people are more active in the Going Up forum because people are actively posting there, thus that forum and its threads are more visible versus the various neighborhood forums. The same could happen in the neighborhood forums, but it takes effort on the part of all of us.

Even then, there isn't a mechanism in our software that would provide higher visibility to the more active sections of the site; it just happens indirectly on a thread by thread basis.  No matter how much activity, the neighborhood subforums stay relatively buried compared to Going Up in the user interface 

• Like 1

and how many people are active on the forum that have an interest in that area.

the downtown sub, for instance, gets high traffic because so many people are interested in what happens downtown.

Heights, midtown, Montrose, all very popular, the EE is getting there, and this sub is certainly more active than it was back when I first joined the forum. heck, the physical East End is more active than it was 15 years ago when I moved in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Yes, I'm fully aware the purpose neighborhood forums serve on this site. If you haven't noticed, I also share updates here and there that may seem insignificant to some but helpful to others. So, I understand the purpose.

I’ve definitely noticed, I think I speak for most people here when I say that we appreciate your contributions.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ljchou said:

I haven't seen anything. Is it just the empty lot you're referring to?

There was some activity on site a while back. I think they were breaking up an old commercial building foundation? It looked like they were getting ready to start construction, but not much has happened since.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, thedistrict84 said:

There was some activity on site a while back. I think they were breaking up an old commercial building foundation? It looked like they were getting ready to start construction, but not much has happened since.

Felix Fraga View Corridor for HCC, new entrance according to the TDLR. $1.4mil. Permit date 7/29/20

https://www.pdgarchitects.com/hcc-eastside

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/Print/TABS2020021315
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hindesky said:
Felix Fraga View Corridor for HCC, new entrance according to the TDLR. $1.4mil. Permit date 7/29/20

https://www.pdgarchitects.com/hcc-eastside

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/Print/TABS2020021315

I had heard that they have plans to build a structure in the lawn area on the Felix Fraga campus. Maybe this is actually the project.

1 hour ago, thedistrict84 said:

Yeah, I definitely remember that, but I thought I saw some initial new foundation work. I could totally be wrong. I honestly feel about 20% positive about this. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ljchou said:

@thedistrict84 @IntheKnowHouston @wilcal @samagon@JBTX

I moved here in early 2019. Before my purchase, I did some research on developments in the area and stumbled upon this subpage. It's become a bit of a hobby for me to drive around the neighborhood and monitor developments that are mentioned in this page, and to share when I see one that hasn't been noted yet. I've learned so much about permitting, construction and real estate. I feel like I've become an armchair expert. It's such a unique experience to watch a neighborhood develop and transform around you. I've become familiar with your handles. I see you here often. It has been even more enjoyable to share such an experience with you guys, as well. Thanks for continuing to share your finds with me and for never losing hope that an HEB is coming.

Pleasure as well, friend. Let us never give up hope for HEB.

• Like 3

• The title was changed to True Anomaly Brewing - 4001 Navigation Blvd.
  • 3 months later...
On 4/30/2022 at 6:45 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Houston craft brewery and brewpub True Anomaly is not relocating from their current home at East Village.

I reached out to the brewery about this last month. Shortly after the listing for the building at 4001 Navigation Blvd was removed, True Anomaly applied for a permit with TABC. The brewery said the business isn't moving out of East Village  rather it has other plans for the space.

The 4001 Navigation Blvd property will be used for production only. So, they're expanding their production facility. I didn't know if that was considered newsworthy or not to create a thread about it, so I didn't.

I suppose it's possible the entire operation could relocate there in the future, who's to say. For now though, the building at 4001 Navigation Blvd is for beer production only.

I'm wondering if this is still the case, considering the I-45 project. Why wouldn't they use the space as something more than just a production facility?

• Like 1

the cost in dollars for the BG (wine and malt beverage) is $1900 every two years. not insignificant, but if you presume the cost of this project is probably at least 1.5 million. it's not a huge cost of the entire budget. honestly, the real cost is in the time it takes to get the license. 

so maybe to start they don't plan on selling/consuming on site, but if they decide in 6 months, or a year they want to open a window and set up some benches in the parking lot, they at least won't have to consider the time suck of getting the permit.

Edited by samagon

• 3 months later...
On 11/7/2022 at 1:44 PM, samagon said:

the cost in dollars for the BG (wine and malt beverage) is $1900 every two years. not insignificant, but if you presume the cost of this project is probably at least 1.5 million. it's not a huge cost of the entire budget. honestly, the real cost is in the time it takes to get the license. 

so maybe to start they don't plan on selling/consuming on site, but if they decide in 6 months, or a year they want to open a window and set up some benches in the parking lot, they at least won't have to consider the time suck of getting the permit.

Right. Could also have been a hedge on 45 expansion actually happening and being ready to go.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to True Anomaly Brewing At 4001 Navigation Blvd.
  • 5 months later...