Union East: Retail, Office Development At McKinney & Sampson St.

What's really great about this is that there's actually more newly built than reused, but they've (mostly) kept what's there and the new buildings keep the same industrial vibe. And of course the parking is in the back. They could have just thrown surface parking on the vacant lots, but instead they fully developed the site as an integrated place.

It's perfect. No notes.

• Like 6

I just walked by this property on Saturday and was wondering what might be planned for it. It looked like Binswanger had either already shut down this location (the building at the northwest end; the lot parallel to Sampson is vacant) or at the very least was starting to wind down operations. Now I know.

This would be an awesome addition to the neighborhood! 

I'm really excited about this - it looks a lot like the Heights Mercantile development on 7th St. between Yale and Heights and I hope it brings in similar businesses (especially Local Foods). Either way, it will be very nice to have this easily accessible by bike or foot from Eastwood and parts of Second Ward to serve as an activity hub for the neighborhood and nudge some more development in the available empty warehouses further west along McKinney. With The Plant right up the street at Harrisburg and East End Backyard just down the street at Lamar, Sampson is also becoming quite the corridor.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Union East: Proposed Retail, Office Development at McKinney & Sampson
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Union East - 3215 McKinney St

These plans look vaguely familiar. I don't remember the project, but they look awfully similar to some project that never came to fruition. I want to say it was in the Sampson/York corridor.

Edited by JBTX

8 hours ago, JBTX said:

These plans look vaguely familiar. I don't remember the project, but they look awfully similar to so.e project that never came to fruition. I want to say it was in the Sampson/York corridor.

Or maybe you saw it in the existing thread that was created for Ancorian's Union East mixed use a while back:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/46171-union-east-proposed-retail-office-development-at-mckinney-sampson

14 hours ago, hindesky said:

Noto at Union East

Architect - https://methodarchitecture.com

pcMSzaO.pngr1GzohY.png

Interesting. Noto (Not of the ordinary) is a nightclub/ dance club in Philadelphia, same owners. If a club or bar expands to Houston, it's usually from Dallas, Austin, Chicago, New York, or Los Angeles. Rarely if ever have I could me across one from Philly over the last ten years. 

More on NOTO below:

https://philly.eater.com/2016/9/19/12979120/noto-chinatown-nightclub-philly

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 1