Shipra At Emancipation

15 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

I love EaDo Bike Co. but I’m glad they didn’t end up purchasing this lot. It’s destined for better things than parking (hopefully).

Surprising/ironic to me that a bike shop would want more parking.  In so many cities, the bike culture is very militantly anti-car.  Perhaps it's more tempered in Houston.

Eado Bike Co. only has about 3-4 parking spots in front of their building on St. Charles St. No parking is allowed on Emancipation St. and there is a working business right next to them. On weekends BeFit gets huge crowds which take up some of the spots.

O0PgVQ1.jpg

56 minutes ago, editor said:

Surprising/ironic to me that a bike shop would want more parking.  In so many cities, the bike culture is very militantly anti-car.  Perhaps it's more tempered in Houston.

If you could ride a broken bike to the bike shop for repair, then they wouldn't need the parking 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

• The title was changed to Shipra At Emancipation
15 minutes ago, zbrow17 said:

Just asked the construction guy out there and he said it’s first going to be a parking lot for the World Cup then after that a Montessori 

Hmmm ... odd.  The World Cup isn't until 2026 and it will be held at NRG, not PNC. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, zbrow17 said:

Just asked the construction guy out there and he said it’s first going to be a parking lot for the World Cup then after that a Montessori 

Assuming the rumors are true: Is this not a very weird place to put a Montessori school? It would literally be right across the street from an entrance to a major sports stadium that hosts all sorts of events year-round.

I can’t help but think that it will effect future development in the immediate area too, as ordinances regarding the distance between schools and certain establishments (e.g., bars) will dictate what is allowed to operate. I assume those would still apply to a Montessori school?

3 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

Assuming the rumors are true: Is this not a very weird place to put a Montessori school? It would literally be right across the street from an entrance to a major sports stadium that hosts all sorts of events year-round.

I can’t help but think that it will effect future development in the immediate area too, as ordinances regarding the distance between schools and certain establishments (e.g., bars) will dictate what is allowed to operate. I assume those would still apply to a Montessori school?

I’m not a fan of putting a school here, but there are two scholar right near Minute Maid and Toyota Center. Incarnate and HSPVA. 

If this ends up being a Shipra Montessori, then it’s not all bad. Maybe they can contribute good architecture. 

4 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

I can’t help but think that it will effect future development in the immediate area too, as ordinances regarding the distance between schools and certain establishments (e.g., bars) will dictate what is allowed to operate. 

https://library.municode.com/tx/houston/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=COOR_CH3ALBE

section 3-4 under this link says that day care, or child care (into which I presume this would fit) have to request COH to do a 300ft alcohol free zone around the school.

school districts can request up to 1000 ft as an alcohol free zone. 

anyway, these distances are measured walking door to door, and you have to follow the laws to measure the distance, so no jaywalking, go and find the nearest crosswalk, or intersection, or at least that's how it's been described to me.

whether that last bit is actually part of the thing, 300 ft is pretty short distance, it's roughly 300 ft from the Emancipation and Walker to the nearest entrance to the soccer stadium.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1

On 7/29/2022 at 10:12 AM, samagon said:

anyway, these distances are measured walking door to door, and you have to follow the laws to measure the distance, so no jaywalking, go and find the nearest crosswalk, or intersection, or at least that's how it's been described to me.

Jaywalking isn't illegal in Texas. You just don't have the right of way 👍

8 minutes ago, wilcal said:

Jaywalking isn't illegal in Texas. You just don't have the right of way 👍

good info!

109.33 of the Texas code stuff says that the measurement for schools is from property line to property line in a straight line across intersections.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2022 at 10:38 AM, wilcal said:

I don't have an update YET, but I listed to the EaDo TIRZ meeting this week, and they said that they didn't know either, but had a meeting with the developer in the next week or two and were going to find out. 

How did you manage to get an invite to the meeting?

1 minute ago, wilcal said:

Ahhh so they finally got around to publishing these things BEFORE the meeting took place 🙄 I had given up after like a year of trying to get information out of them.

2 minutes ago, Andrew Ewert said:

Ahhh so they finally got around to publishing these things BEFORE the meeting took place 🙄 I had given up after like a year of trying to get information out of them.

They are required to publish it on city hall a few days before as well. I work nearby so let me know if you need me to walk over and take a pic of the notice 😄

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

This slide was presented at the Goal Park event last night. The Goal Park landscape architect said the mixed-use development with possible skybridge information came from the developer. 

Apologies for the poor quality. Goal Park's event was on the Pitch 25 patio at night, so dim lighting. 

image.jpeg.35f2ef9cb7894bf7584112bceead7869.jpeg

• Like 3

• 7 months later...