Smoothie King - 3007 South Shepherd Dr.

hindesky

15 hours ago, august948 said:

Why not?  People can drive there and then walk around.  Win win.

If its a parking lot for Papa's, people can't just park here and walk around. Plus there's already tons of parking in the area. Also, across the street where CVS is, used to be street level retail thats now a suburban style building. Trader Joe's has its front style parking as well. So the intersection is going to look anything but walkable. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Amlaham said:

If its a parking lot for Papa's, people can't just park here and walk around. Plus there's already tons of parking in the area. Also, across the street where CVS is, used to be street level retail thats now a suburban style building. Trader Joe's has its front style parking as well. So the intersection is going to look anything but walkable. 

What used to be where CVS is?  

Used to go to Ruchi's after many concerts. It was really cool when they had the one man band dude playing songs for all the drunks. People would all be singing along to all the Mexican songs. Fun times.

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Amlaham said:

Depends on if they police the parking.  Or, you can have a meal at Pappa's and then walk around.  Does a street have to look a certain way in order to be walkable?

15 hours ago, august948 said:

Depends on if they police the parking.  Or, you can have a meal at Pappa's and then walk around.  Does a street have to look a certain way in order to be walkable?

It seems kind of contradicting to walk on street lined parking lots. The side of some highways have sidewalks, doesn't make it walkable. I think its pretty obvious the street/ businesses have to cater to pedestrians for it to be walkable. When people walk/ choose to walk, its for the experience, the window displays, shade from trees, safety, etc. No one wants to walk between parked cars and dodging flying cars at the entrances of these parking lots. 

Edited by Amlaham
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Texasota said:

No, but it has to have things to walk to. Parking lots take up a lot of space and don't really count as things to walk to.

No, but they do count as a way for people to get into an area so they can walk around.

1 hour ago, Amlaham said:

It seems kind of contradicting to walk on street lined parking lots. The side of some highways have sidewalks, doesn't make it walkable. I think its pretty obvious the street/ businesses have to cater to pedestrians for it to be walkable. When people walk/ choose to walk, its for the experience, the window displays, shade from trees, safety, etc. No one wants to walk between parked cars and dodging flying cars at the entrances of these parking lots. 

If you can walk there, then it's walkable.  Whether or not you find it an interesting place to walk around is a completely different thing.  I'm sure, though, if the market is there then those parking lots will be eventually replaced by retail of some sort.  But, if they've been tearing down retail space to build parking lots then it seems now is not that time.

I hadn't heard that they have flying cars there.  That sounds awesome.  Are they fixed wing or vtol?

1920x1080_cmsv2_6c14752e-81a2-5e2d-8135-

What exactly is your issue here? You know full well that when people use the term "walkable" they typically mean a lot more than just being physically able to walk somewhere. 

Regardless of terminology, a parking lot would be a huge waste at this location and exacerbate the wastefulness of the CVS development on the other corner. Right now, this can be an unpleasant (and unsafe) intersection to cross on foot. A parking lot does nothing to change that, a building at least potentially could help. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Texasota said:

What exactly is your issue here? You know full well that when people use the term "walkable" they typically mean a lot more than just being physically able to walk somewhere. 

Regardless of terminology, a parking lot would be a huge waste at this location and exacerbate the wastefulness of the CVS development on the other corner. Right now, this can be an unpleasant (and unsafe) intersection to cross on foot. A parking lot does nothing to change that, a building at least potentially could help. 

No issues here.  Pappa's or any of the other landowners in the area can do whatever they feel is best for them and the land they own.  As for a parking lot being a huge waste, that would only be true if it isn't used.  I would think that land prices at this location would be such that the businesses there wouldn't leave land fallow for long.  So, if a parking lot does turn out to be the use here (something that isn't clear to me to be the case) and said lot doesn't get used, it's more likely that it will be redeveloped sooner rather than later to something more economically viable.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2022 at 1:03 PM, hindesky said:

Used to go to Ruchi's after many concerts. It was really cool when they had the one man band dude playing songs for all the drunks. People would all be singing along to all the Mexican songs. Fun times.

probably saw you there then because this was my "after concert go to" as well! haha

• Like 1

17 hours ago, august948 said:

If you can walk there, then it's walkable.  Whether or not you find it an interesting place to walk around is a completely different thing.  I'm sure, though, if the market is there then those parking lots will be eventually replaced by retail of some sort.  But, if they've been tearing down retail space to build parking lots then it seems now is not that time.

I hadn't heard that they have flying cars there.  That sounds awesome.  Are they fixed wing or vtol?

1920x1080_cmsv2_6c14752e-81a2-5e2d-8135-

By your definition, the Sahara desert is walkable because you can walk there. 

3 hours ago, Amlaham said:

By your definition, the Sahara desert is walkable because you can walk there. 

I suppose it can be if they put in sidewalks..but the heat and sand can be a bit of an impediment to walking as it stands.  It's not a particularly interesting place to walk, though.  Are we suggesting that this spot is comparable to the world's largest desert?

1 hour ago, august948 said:

I suppose it can be if they put in sidewalks..but the heat and sand can be a bit of an impediment to walking as it stands.  It's not a particularly interesting place to walk, though.  Are we suggesting that this spot is comparable to the world's largest desert?

Its to show that just because you can walk somewhere, doesn't make it "walkable." Let's agree to disagree on the term "walkable." My final example, theres a reason why areas that have larger sidewalks with street facing retail have more people walking around (midtown, downtown, medical center) than in areas that just have a sidewalk with businesses not catering to the "walker" (Bellaire, westheimer west of the galleria area, etc). Do you really not understand what makes a place "walkable" and get people to actually walk around (especially on main streets)  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Amlaham said:

Its to show that just because you can walk somewhere, doesn't make it "walkable." Let's agree to disagree on the term "walkable." My final example, theres a reason why areas that have larger sidewalks with street facing retail have more people walking around (midtown, downtown, medical center) than in areas that just have a sidewalk with businesses not catering to the "walker" (Bellaire, westheimer west of the galleria area, etc). Do you really not understand what makes a place "walkable" and get people to actually walk around (especially on main streets)  

Not quite sure what you mean by businesses catering to the "walker".  Shoe stores, perhaps?  Is the intent here to induce demand?

On 4/23/2022 at 9:27 AM, Houston19514 said:

What used to be where CVS is?  

There also used to be a dog shelter (K-9 Angels) and vet in the two houses at the west end of the current CVS lot. I would foster and walk dogs with K-9 Angels back when they were at that location.

• Like 1