Austin July 27, 2012 :blink:

Galveston Island, TX

Galveston3-10-66.jpg

Galveston%20texas2.jpg

Galveston March 10, 2066 :lol:

Dallas, TX

skyline_10.jpg

Dallas in November 8, 2063 :lol:

i think there would be more buildings than that in 2060. look at the difference in houstons skyline from 40 years ago to today. i think the buildings today would be half the size as the buildings 40 years from now. new technology will be available to build supertall buildings easier. the population of houston will be about 15 million by then and there would be a need for really tall buildings. there will be atleast twice as many skyscrapers in downtown and there will be super tall buildings in the gallaria area and all inside the innerloop. i would imagine that the gallaria area and downtown will be one giant skyline like manhatten in new york. especially with the housing trend moving toward high rise living and the expected population increase in the inner loop and uptown area.

what are those white tubes in the houston pic?MetroSuck Perhaps? like those tubes in the bank drive thru only you stand in them and you fly to your destination, like on futurama...

*Ding dong* "Welcome to MetroSuck human Sorter #3 Please lean left if you want to go to the galleria. Lean Right if you are headed to midtown. Lean Down if you are going to switch to the A19 tube to Sugarland and Alvin. Do not Spit while in the MetroSuck. Thank You." En Espanol.....

I read an interview this week with the mayor of a certain very large American city saying he wants Chinese to be the second language of his city, not Spanish. To make it happen (and since he abolished the school board and directly controls the public school system), he's importing dozens, maybe hundreds, of teachers from China.

Actually it doesn't look that much different. I would expect something really wild.

True, that it is only a few new large towers, I would expect by that time a pretty decent and somewhat long wall of towers. Atleast I hope for that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Ladies and Gentlemen, Houston in 2060! :wub:

(sorry for stealing the guy who posted the original photo's image!) :(

ng600m.jpg

And the skylines still have not connected!

hopefully not having double JP Morgan chase towers :lol:

its morely just a five side building but morly its a better view of the tower as its more skinnier length as driving down on I-45 from the north side. :lol:

I acutally had a spire on one... to go along with the "World Trade Center" look on previous pictures I posted on the first page. ;)

• 2 months later...

In my opinion, I would like to see the Houston skyline have a unique design that reflects its geographical location. So many cities in Australia and the Pacific Rim look the same. Other cities like Atlanta just keep building more tall towers and make a bigger skyline, but I like it the way it is now. Maybe with a new signature tower though. the Chase tower is really dated.

But I would like to see downtown and the med center grow together and then a new skyline on the east side and maybe a chinatown skyline as well in SW Houston. But we have a beautiful skyline as it is and I would hate to see it dissappear into a bunch of new apartment towers.

Oh, well that would be one of the last cities I thought for that to happen. Has there been any major conflict about it?

There was some conflict a while back when the Mayor took over the school system and abolished the school board, but that was before my time. No one's worried about the Chinese teachers, or at least if they are it isn't an organized resistance. There are entire schools here that teach in Polish and Chinese and Spanish and whatever full-time, so I think the parents are used to it. The unions are probably just happy to have some new members.

i think there would be more buildings than that in 2060. look at the difference in houstons skyline from 40 years ago to today. i think the buildings today would be half the size as the buildings 40 years from now. new technology will be available to build supertall buildings easier. the population of houston will be about 15 million by then and there would be a need for really tall buildings. there will be atleast twice as many skyscrapers in downtown and there will be super tall buildings in the gallaria area and all inside the innerloop. i would imagine that the gallaria area and downtown will be one giant skyline like manhatten in new york. especially with the housing trend moving toward high rise living and the expected population increase in the inner loop and uptown area.

Actually, don't you think we will fill in the open spaces between DT, UT and MT? Probably, there will be an increase in mid-rise buildings, mostly residential, instead of super-talls just yet. As seen on other posts, most of Houston's phenomenal growth occurred in the 80's due to the oil boom $$$$. Houston will have to diversify its economic base before HUGE companies like ENRON could come in and build, build, build.

Although Houston's three tallest buildings are sliding down the "tallest skyscraper" lists these days, when they were built, they were well noted. My point is, we already have some "supertalls" , well maybe, just "talls". ^_^ Now filling in the gaps between our 2nd and up and coming third "downtown" is probably the way to go to create a continuity to Houston.

I agree that within the next 50 years the inner loop area will probably start resembling Manhattan, but i don't think it will be in heighth but in density of mid-rises with only a few 900'+ skyscrapers. Not that i don't want another signature 1000'+ building in Houston (maybe something with a cool spire), i just don't think it probable in the near future.

m.

In my opinion, I would like to see the Houston skyline have a unique design that reflects its geographical location. So many cities in Australia and the Pacific Rim look the same. Other cities like Atlanta just keep building more tall towers and make a bigger skyline, but I like it the way it is now. Maybe with a new signature tower though. the Chase tower is really dated.

But I would like to see downtown and the med center grow together and then a new skyline on the east side and maybe a chinatown skyline as well in SW Houston. But we have a beautiful skyline as it is and I would hate to see it dissappear into a bunch of new apartment towers.

I tend to agree with you. On the one hand i want to see urban growth in the form of towers and scrapers and the like, yet i do take pride in Houston's very recognizable skyline. And you are right; without the Sydney Opera House, i honestly have difficulty telling Sydney apart from Melbourne (yes, i know there are hard core enthusiasts who can name any city upon first glance). And although i LOVE some of the skyscrapers going up in China, collectively, the cities do resemble each other. I find it interesting that if you take Pei's Bank of China Tower out of the Pix. of Hong Kong.......well, you can see for yourself what i mean.

Alas, in time the need for space will merge DT with UT with MT...but i hope Houston can keep her unique look despite the urban growth. OR at least maybe build one or two more 1200'+ skyscrapers to create a new signature look.

Think of pix. of Houston circa '65 '75 '85 and '95. Each decade reshaped Houston's look, except other than filler mid-rises in the late 80s to early 90s. What is to say that our concept of Houston's look won't be radically different 20 years from now??

m.

I hope it doesnt get to the point of Manhattan. Can you imagine all the mini-wind storms that would be created from the severe thunderstorms? Having so many tall buildings together like Manhattan in Houston would maybe not be such a good idea. Those things create thier own wind patterns which would be amplified by a strong thunderstorm or hurricane here.............

I hope it doesnt get to the point of Manhattan. Can you imagine all the mini-wind storms that would be created from the severe thunderstorms? Having so many tall buildings together like Manhattan in Houston would maybe not be such a good idea. Those things create thier own wind patterns which would be amplified by a strong thunderstorm or hurricane here.............

Since we already seperate ourselves so far from nature, why detour that minor problem?

Archived