Three Aides Of Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo Indicted; Will This Doom Her Reelection Prospects In November?

Blue Dogs

12 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

At the end of the day, Mealer is a stooge, running on behalf of the Republican Party of Texas solely to put Harris County at the mercy of the State.  That's what it's all about. 

Didn't Abbott already prove the county is at the mercy of the state?

9 hours ago, august948 said:

Didn't Abbott already prove the county is at the mercy of the state?

Abbott has just proven the State GOP agenda.  Other leadership would yield different outcomes.

Edited by mattyt36

20 minutes ago, mattyt36 said:

Abbott has just proven the State GOP agenda.  Other leadership would yield different outcomes.

Other leadership at the county level?  As in someone other than Hidalgo would have been able to better resist pressure from the state?

46 minutes ago, august948 said:

Other leadership at the county level?  As in someone other than Hidalgo would have been able to better resist pressure from the state?

No, other leadership at the State level that wouldn't have as one of its primary goals to strangle Harris County by taking control of elections and other traditionally local powers.

On 7/14/2022 at 10:15 PM, Ross said:

I haven't noticed Hidalgo being overly woke. Mealer and Ogg are morons.

Harris County bail policy has been bad for decades. Especially for the poor. 

We can do better on HAIF than to resort to name calling.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 10:40 AM, mattyt36 said:

No, other leadership at the State level that wouldn't have as one of its primary goals to strangle Harris County by taking control of elections and other traditionally local powers.

I guess that would be analogous to federal vs state power struggles, then.

2 hours ago, editor said:

We can do better on HAIF than to resort to name calling.

You don't like calling politicians morons? I suppose I can reword that to "Ogg and Mealer were apparently victims of a brain theft ring, as neither of them has shown any indication of being able to think critically or act in the best interests of Harris County"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ross said:

You don't like calling politicians morons? I suppose I can reword that to "Ogg and Mealer were apparently victims of a brain theft ring, as neither of them has shown any indication of being able to think critically or act in the best interests of Harris County"

See?  Crime has been rising in Harris county during Hidalgo's term.  😛

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ross said:

That's at least clever and interesting. 

19 hours ago, Ross said:

This obsession of one with arguing rhetorical styles is so damned tiresome, especially considering the sardonic, condescending, and paternalistic tone of said person’s posts. (This is yet *another* example.) 

We can’t call a politician we disagree with a “moron”? I can’t think of anything more universally human than that. Directly calling another member a “moron,” sure, no need for that. Calling a politician, a public figure, a “moron” is the same as calling a highway expansion project “moronic" for all intents and purposes.  After all, the concept didn't birth itself.

I submit we “can do better” than forever being lectured on “doing better.” How utterly presumptuous. Somehow he has rationalized it in his head. (Either that or maybe he has already cast his lot?) Give me a break.

Edited by mattyt36

18 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

We can’t call a politician we disagree with a “moron”? I can’t think of anything more universally human than that.

I genuinely feel bad for you.

18 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

I submit we “can do better” than forever being lectured on “doing better.”

If you want low-brow, low-quality arguing, you are welcome to join any one of the 50,000 newspaper web sites, or other social fora that cater to that sort of thing.  I see no problem with trying to make HAIF different than the rest of the internet.

If someone is simply not capable of engaging in discussion on a more thoughtful level, then perhaps they should try Facebook or Twitter or any of the hundreds of other alternatives. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, editor said:

I genuinely feel bad for you.

Feel whatever you want, buddy . . . it's a free country after all!

(Do you really believe that statement is effective in any way?  I mean, if I had to call it anything, I'd call it textbook "low-brow, low-quality arguing."  Seems to me like "HAIF can do better than that," as we have heard from on high.  I mean, at least some part of you must note the butt-naked irony?)

12 hours ago, editor said:

If someone is simply not capable of engaging in discussion on a more thoughtful level, then perhaps they should try Facebook or Twitter or any of the hundreds of other alternatives. 

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Whoa boy.

In my very short time here, you have written the book (er, well, textbook) on this (see Exhibit A above).  

As the Romans would note:

Q . . . E . . . D

10 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Do you really believe that statement is effective in any way

Clearly it had an effect, since the largest part of your response was the smallest part of what I wrote.

Regardless, whether it's chron.com, or Facebook, or Twitter, or Trump Social, I expect that you will find no shortage of people happy to engage you at the level you require.

I hope you find what you're looking for on those platforms. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Ross said:

Good thing I had not planned to buy anything from Mack. He needs to focus on business and charity and not play partisan politics.

I would generally agree but what he has done for Houston residents outweighs his politics.  

Edited by 5thGen
  • Like 1

Houston Police Retired Officers Association has endorsed Mealer for Harris County Judge:

On 8/9/2022 at 5:46 PM, Ross said:

Good thing I had not planned to buy anything from Mack. He needs to focus on business and charity and not play partisan politics.

He's also endorsed TX Governor Greg Abbott (R) for reelection.

Even though he supports Republicans when they run locally, he does work with incumbent Democrats when it comes to disaster recovery, so I guess that's something?

• Like 2

To be honest, I've never seen anything in his store I've been tempted to buy.  It is an interesting place to walk through if you're in the area just to see the kitsch and memorabilia he's accumulated, though.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2022 at 9:58 AM, mattyt36 said:

What exactly is she going to do to "fight crime" and "fight corruption" besides talking in platitudes?  And what exactly is her experience in this regard?

Mealer and staff after a long day fighting crime and corruption...

IMG_1557_about.png

11 hours ago, august948 said:

Mealer and staff after a long day fighting crime and corruption...

IMG_1557_about.png

Oh happy day, have been waiting for years for Houston to become some cosplay Fallujah.

Can't she just go run off and play Paintball?

Edited by mattyt36

On 8/14/2022 at 10:56 AM, mattyt36 said:

Oh happy day, have been waiting for years for Houston to become some cosplay Fallujah.

Can't she just go run off and play Paintball?

Maybe instead of a debate we can have an Hidalgo vs Mealer paintball match?

Since you mentioned Fallujah, interestingly enough a quick search for homicide rates in Iraq shows an average of 10 per 100,000 for 2013 (latest year I could find), down from 16 per 100,000 in 2008. 

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/VC.IHR.PSRC.P5?locations=IQ

Per the chron article below we had 20 per 100,000 in 2021.

https://www.centerforjusticeresearch.org/in-the-news/harris-county-homicides-increase-in-2021-amid-similar-trends-nationwide

Safe in Iraq...

5 hours ago, august948 said:

Maybe instead of a debate we can have an Hidalgo vs Mealer paintball match?

Since you mentioned Fallujah, interestingly enough a quick search for homicide rates in Iraq shows an average of 10 per 100,000 for 2013 (latest year I could find), down from 16 per 100,000 in 2008. 

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/VC.IHR.PSRC.P5?locations=IQ

Per the chron article below we had 20 per 100,000 in 2021.

https://www.centerforjusticeresearch.org/in-the-news/harris-county-homicides-increase-in-2021-amid-similar-trends-nationwide

Safe in Iraq...

Well, as we all know, the FPD is definitely recognized worldwide for their record-keeping and unique, yet effective, crime prevention skills.

Probably as recognized as the Center for Justice Research editors for their journalistic skills for posting a headline on Harris County homicides increasing when it appears they mean the City of Houston.  

But, what's not to love?  I'm sure Mealer will save us all from this crime-ridden dystopian hellhole with her investment banking and mattress selection skills.  (And large hands, of course.)