Jump to content

Three aides of Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo (D) indicted; will this doom her reelection prospects in November ?


Blue Dogs

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, august948 said:

No big surprise.  Has Abbott endorsed anyone?

Good question. I'm sure Abbott's massive warchest will give whoever the GOP nominee for Harris County Judge a boost.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Blue Dogs said:

United States Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) endorses Mealer.

Hack endorses hack.  Good thing Cruz's popularity in the County has been in the toilet for a good 5 years.  Can't say I've ever met a sane person who likes the guy.

Opinion | Ted Cruz, Hometown Anti-Hero - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

38 minutes ago, Blue Dogs said:

Good question. I'm sure Abbott's massive warchest will give whoever the GOP nominee for Harris County Judge a boost.

 

If you're speaking in empty platitudes, best get it right, the figure of speech is a "massive campaign warchest."  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Hack endorses hack.  Good thing Cruz's popularity in the County has been in the toilet for a good 5 years.  Can't say I've ever met a sane person who likes the guy.

Opinion | Ted Cruz, Hometown Anti-Hero - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

If you're speaking in empty platitudes, best get it right, the figure of speech is a "massive campaign warchest."  

Surely you didn't just quote the New York Times opinion on a local Texas issue?

image.jpeg.d8443c955205d6f6f3d8f7ac18911bc2.jpeg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Blue Dogs said:

Hidalgo expecting to get indicted soon according to NBC 2 KPRC-TV Houston:

 

Steel-cage death match?  Is someone going to suggest next that Lina Hidalgo and Kim Ogg mud wrestle it out?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, august948 said:

Steel-cage death match?  Is someone going to suggest next that Lina Hidalgo and Kim Ogg mud wrestle it out?

Having met Kim, I kind of think that may be what she is gunning for. Lesbians can be so unpredictable. Man Hands Mealer will most definitely be foaming at the mouth for a ticket, I have no doubt about that.

Edited by mattyt36
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Hack endorses hack.  Good thing Cruz's popularity in the County has been in the toilet for a good 5 years.  Can't say I've ever met a sane person who likes the guy.

Opinion | Ted Cruz, Hometown Anti-Hero - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

If you're speaking in empty platitudes, best get it right, the figure of speech is a "massive campaign warchest."  

Here’s old Ted at his best, talking as if anyone on either side gives two craps what he says. His face and tone always betrays that he earnestly believes that people actually do, probably the side effect of being raised by a whack-job preacher. This is of course way worse than his earlier, conveniently last minute “endorsement” of Man Hands, but at the end of the day, just as revealing. He’ll probably watch this at least 10 times before he goes to bed while patting himself on the back. What a shame (for only him, of course, but he’s incapable of thinking of others) the closest he got to being President was in 2016. (Teduardo is definitely in the Top 5 of the Texas Politician Total Loser All-Time Hall of Fame, and on a very crowded ticket at that, mind you … but, yeah, I rely on this guy whenever I ask myself, “What is best for Harris County? What would Teduardo do?”)

 

Edited by mattyt36
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bear in mind that District Attorneys can, if they wish, indict a ham sandwich.
Whether Judge Hidalgo's aides, or her own possible indictment have merit remains to be seen. Until then they are presumed innocent. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

Bear in mind that District Attorneys can, if they wish, indict a ham sandwich.
Whether Judge Hidalgo's aides, or her own possible indictment have merit remains to be seen. Until then they are presumed innocent. 

Absolutely.

But it's not great politics when (1) it's obvious that most of this is being shamelessly orchestrated at the State level; (2) most voters can't even tell you what the County Judge does; (3) she's up against a shameless demagogue and, I won't mince words, outright liar; and (4) the worst part of all--Lina just doesn't seem to be that good at politics.  Well, stated differently, I guess, she's about as good as one should expect a 31-year-old, first-termer would be.  The cards are definitely stacked against her, and I can't say I'm that hopeful in the efficacy of her response.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

Bear in mind that District Attorneys can, if they wish, indict a ham sandwich.
Whether Judge Hidalgo's aides, or her own possible indictment have merit remains to be seen. Until then they are presumed innocent. 

To throw my two cents in, I agree. 

I plan on enthusiastically voting for Mealer in November. I've donated to her campaign. And I suspect that Hidalgo's office is corrupt.

BUT

You're right. Smoke does not necessarily imply fire (e.g. Trump/Russia collusion). I think that any voter who is informed enough to follow the indictments is also likely to understand that they are just that- indictments. Nothing has been proven. The prosecutors are just beginning to build their cases.

I don't think that the indictments will necessarily hurt Hidalgo in the general election, assuming she can handle her PR well. I don't think that playing the victim card that she's been trying to play will serve her well. She's in too high of an office for that. But she's not an idiot. I expect that she will adjust her tact soon and play this whole thing smartly. Innocent or not.

Edited by aachor
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, aachor said:

To throw my two cents in, I agree. 

I plan on enthusiastically voting for Mealer in November. I've donated to her campaign. And I suspect that Hidalgo's office is corrupt.

BUT

You're right. Smoke does not necessarily imply fire (e.g. Trump/Russia collusion). I think that any voter who is informed enough to follow the indictments is also likely to understand that they are just that- indictments. Nothing has been proven. The prosecutors are just beginning to build their cases.

I don't think that the indictments will necessarily hurt Hidalgo in the general election, assuming she can handle her PR well. I don't think that playing the victim card that she's been trying to play will serve her well. She's in too high of an office for that. But she's not an idiot. I expect that she will adjust her tact soon and play this whole thing smartly. Innocent or not.

Well I shall just say, I hope you’re right, @aachor

And as compensation for your donations and support, I hope you get an autographed photo of the Man Hands. The campaign team definitely has shaven off at least 20 pounds, femmed her up a bit, and made her less mouthy, I’ve noticed. As much as I hate to admit it, smart money at this point is probably on her. (Yes @Blue Dogs, you can quote me on that!)
 

In which case Lina Hidalgo will rank right up there with RBG and Hillary for me. Smart, smart people, but absolutely terrible at the execution of basic politics.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Absolutely.

But it's not great politics when (1) it's obvious that most of this is being shamelessly orchestrated at the State level; (2) most voters can't even tell you what the County Judge does; (3) she's up against a shameless demagogue and, I won't mince words, outright liar; and (4) the worst part of all--Lina just doesn't seem to be that good at politics.  Well, stated differently, I guess, she's about as good as one should expect a 31-year-old, first-termer would be.  The cards are definitely stacked against her, and I can't say I'm that hopeful in the efficacy of her response.

1) I'm not so sure an indictment has that much effect on voting.  Lina should be able to turn this to her advantage by portraying herself as a victim of vicious politics (unless #4 really holds true). 2) Agreed.  3) Demagoguery is part and parcel of politics.  I know we might disagree there so I'll ask about Alexandra's outright lies.  What I've heard her say so far is mostly fluff.  What lies are we're talking about?  4) Probably right on this one but I wouldn't worry too much about Lina's future.  If she's got a taste for being a professional politician/operative the Democrats will find a place for her.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Well I shall just say, I hope you’re right, @aachor

And as compensation for your donations and support, I hope you get an autographed photo of the Man Hands. The campaign team definitely has shaven off at least 20 pounds, femmed her up a bit, and made her less mouthy, I’ve noticed. As much as I hate to admit it, smart money at this point is probably on her. (Yes @Blue Dogs, you can quote me on that!)
 

In which case Lina Hidalgo will rank right up there with RBG and Hillary for me. Smart, smart people, but absolutely terrible at the execution of basic politics.

I'd be more careful about putting Hillary in the same category as RBG.  And I haven't seen the Hillary's astonishing level of arrogance in Lina so far.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 5/26/2022 at 5:38 AM, august948 said:

3) Demagoguery is part and parcel of politics.  I know we might disagree there so I'll ask about Alexandra's outright lies.  What I've heard her say so far is mostly fluff.  What lies are we're talking about?

Fearmongering based on fever dreams for votes when you should know better is lying as far as I'm concerned.  But I mean, you're right, she could believe her own stuff, I suppose, and therefore it wouldn't constitute "lying" per se, just tremendous irresponsibility and lack of self-accountability.

Edited by mattyt36
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/24/2022 at 7:33 PM, august948 said:

Steel-cage death match?  Is someone going to suggest next that Lina Hidalgo and Kim Ogg mud wrestle it out?

Hidalgo blames Ogg for three of her aides getting indicted & thinks the DA will have her indicted next.

On 5/24/2022 at 8:32 PM, mattyt36 said:

Having met Kim, I kind of think that may be what she is gunning for. Lesbians can be so unpredictable. Man Hands Mealer will most definitely be foaming at the mouth for a ticket, I have no doubt about that.

You just don't like Mealer do you ? Just admit it. You're scared because 2022 is a GOP year across the country.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

“You just don’t like Mealer do you ? Just admit it. You’re scared because 2022 is a GOP year across the country.”

Correct. (Has that ever been in question?)

(BTW, serious question here, do you think na-na-ny-boo-boo is a legitimate way to run a country?)

Edited by mattyt36
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Ross said:

Depends on what Ms Mealer wants to do...

Whoa boy! 😂

I certainly wouldn’t be surprised if they ran into each other at a “neighborhood bar” as Mr Berry was found to do.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Whoa boy! 😂

I certainly wouldn’t be surprised if they ran into each other at a “neighborhood bar” as Mr Berry was found to do.

Now, now...maybe he just stopped there to use the restroom.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2022 at 3:03 PM, mattyt36 said:

Well aware

Also a conservative talk radio host

I know my Republican friends don’t like media bias

His wife also served as TX Secretary of State (2013-15).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Blue Dogs said:

Look what I've found from the Houston Chronicle:

 

 

Jordan's court hears Class A and B misdemeanors. He can hardly be responsible for the public safety crisis. That might, possibly, fall on the District Court judges that hear felony cases. Misdemeanor bail was completely messed up, with many defendants  who couldn't make bail spending more time in jail than if they had pleaded guilty on day 1.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/5/2022 at 3:59 PM, Ross said:

Jordan's court hears Class A and B misdemeanors. He can hardly be responsible for the public safety crisis. That might, possibly, fall on the District Court judges that hear felony cases. Misdemeanor bail was completely messed up, with many defendants  who couldn't make bail spending more time in jail than if they had pleaded guilty on day 1.

Mealer & Co., are going to be aggressively attacking Hidalgo on this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Attacking her on what, exactly? Please connect the dots.

I believe Mealer was trying to connect the dots in the post with the comment about Jordon and his "buddies" and the picture that included Hidalgo.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/5/2022 at 3:59 PM, Ross said:

Jordan's court hears Class A and B misdemeanors. He can hardly be responsible for the public safety crisis. That might, possibly, fall on the District Court judges that hear felony cases. Misdemeanor bail was completely messed up, with many defendants  who couldn't make bail spending more time in jail than if they had pleaded guilty on day 1.

This. Misdemeanor courts are not the part of the bail system that people publicly lament. Even if a felony gets plead to a misdemeanor, thats still in a court that has original jurisdiction over felony cases. As @Rosssays, many misdemeanor courts actually hold people longer than their eventual jail sentence may require. Its weird to talk about bail and not also talk about Ogg, since her office is the one that is presenting the court with what they think is reasonable bail for these individuals. Yeah, judges make the final decision, but its her office that dictates the guidelines her ADAs follow. So if they are always going for the max or above what they know the judge likes to give [and they know these judges since they operate in their court every day], and the judge basically utilizes a baseball arbitration type mindset where they go along with the closest suggestion to what they believe is fair which will be defense counsel's suggestion since the ADA comes in so high, then its partially on Ogg too. Bail is a complicated subject with many factors. I do hate how its often reduced to four word sentences stating "it is X's fault."

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, august948 said:

I believe Mealer was trying to connect the dots in the post with the comment about Jordon and his "buddies" and the picture that included Hidalgo.

Of course.

But I'm interested to hear from @Blue Dogs as to what he understands the issue to be and his appraisal of the substance.

Sounds like it's just "Democrats like crime."  Not saying it won't be effective with many, but it's pretty hollow if you ask me.

Hidalgo's best hope (and it's not a stretch) is that the Roe repeal will motivate people to more or less vote "straight ticket" again as in 2018.  (Yes, I know it has to be done manually now.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Of course.

But I'm interested to hear from @Blue Dogs as to what he understands the issue to be and his appraisal of the substance.

Sounds like it's just "Democrats like crime."  Not saying it won't be effective with many, but it's pretty hollow if you ask me.

Hidalgo's best hope (and it's not a stretch) is that the Roe repeal will motivate people to more or less vote "straight ticket" again as in 2018.  (Yes, I know it has to be done manually now.)

That's the wild card for the upcoming elections.  To what degree are people actually motivated by the Roe decision to come out and vote for Democratic candidates?  Partizans will turn out anyway, but what about the swing voters?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, august948 said:

That's the wild card for the upcoming elections.  To what degree are people actually motivated by the Roe decision to come out and vote for Democratic candidates?  Partizans will turn out anyway, but what about the swing voters?

Agree 💯 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fox 26 KRIV-TV Houston political reporter Greg Groogan on the UH Hobby Center Poll of the 2022 Harris County Judge election:

The poll has Mealer having an advantage among Latinos.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't noticed Hidalgo being overly woke. Mealer and Ogg are morons.

Harris County bail policy has been bad for decades. Especially for the poor. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

At the end of the day, Mealer is a stooge, running on behalf of the Republican Party of Texas solely to put Harris County at the mercy of the State.  That's what it's all about. 

Didn't Abbott already prove the county is at the mercy of the state?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, august948 said:

Didn't Abbott already prove the county is at the mercy of the state?

Abbott has just proven the State GOP agenda.  Other leadership would yield different outcomes.

Edited by mattyt36
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, mattyt36 said:

Abbott has just proven the State GOP agenda.  Other leadership would yield different outcomes.

Other leadership at the county level?  As in someone other than Hidalgo would have been able to better resist pressure from the state?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, august948 said:

Other leadership at the county level?  As in someone other than Hidalgo would have been able to better resist pressure from the state?

No, other leadership at the State level that wouldn't have as one of its primary goals to strangle Harris County by taking control of elections and other traditionally local powers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/14/2022 at 10:15 PM, Ross said:

I haven't noticed Hidalgo being overly woke. Mealer and Ogg are morons.

Harris County bail policy has been bad for decades. Especially for the poor. 

We can do better on HAIF than to resort to name calling.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/15/2022 at 10:40 AM, mattyt36 said:

No, other leadership at the State level that wouldn't have as one of its primary goals to strangle Harris County by taking control of elections and other traditionally local powers.

I guess that would be analogous to federal vs state power struggles, then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, editor said:

We can do better on HAIF than to resort to name calling.

You don't like calling politicians morons? I suppose I can reword that to "Ogg and Mealer were apparently victims of a brain theft ring, as neither of them has shown any indication of being able to think critically or act in the best interests of Harris County"

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Ross said:

You don't like calling politicians morons? I suppose I can reword that to "Ogg and Mealer were apparently victims of a brain theft ring, as neither of them has shown any indication of being able to think critically or act in the best interests of Harris County"

 

See?  Crime has been rising in Harris county during Hidalgo's term.  😛

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...