Three Aides Of Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo Indicted; Will This Doom Her Reelection Prospects In November?

Blue Dogs

7 hours ago, Blue Dogs said:

Good evening HAIF Family. I'm assuming y'all heard about these indictments:

https://twitter.com/KXAN_News/status/1513819309310726147

https://twitter.com/GrooganFox26/status/1513570753953902601

Does anyone think this will doom her reelection prospects on November 8th ?

A.) YES

B.) NO

C.) TBD

As is, probably not, but I'm sure we'll be hearing plenty about it as we move towards November.  Will this even go to trial before then?

Depends. Does your regular layperson really read about these indictments? If I were to do a poll, and asked first if you even heard about any of this, I'd imagine many would say that they didn't. Then if I asked further questions ranking issues of the day in combination with these indictments, which would be pooled into "general corruption", it would rank very low. What will get Hidalgo out is if people see that her actions have contributed to larger issues of concern. She was a huge advocate for lockdowns and various covid restrictions. If the opposition wants her out then they need to assign blame for aspects of inflation to her. Will they? I don't know. Is that a reasonable thing to do? I haven't done enough digging to know if accusations like these would be valid, but from a political tactical standpoint the one side does this all the time. Its a tool of political intrigue. Its nasty and not fair, but it is what it is.

Personally I didn't like Lina Hidalgo when in Houston. Full disclosure, for many years I'm a registered independent or "unaffiliated voter". Overall all I'm glad straight ticket voter is a thing of the past. It only encourages polarization, tribalism, furthers the two party divide of which I detest. It has seen terrible Republicans and Democrats get into office and only survives to maintain whatever parties hegemony, or artificially inflate ones success if the message is right. To me Lina Hidalgo rode a wave, and even though I don't like career politicians, for every rule there is an exception, and Emmett was one of those exceptions. I don't like placing overly charged statements like "she is out of her league", or "she should have stayed in her lane" because I don't like when people do that for me. My dislike of Hidalgo comes from her actions in office. I didn't like how she rode the wave, but observed if it was deserved, and over time she hasn't really done anything that tells me she either deserved it or needs another term to prove herself.

If the right issues stick to and those that want her out are strategic with their approach to get her out then she will get out, but I wouldn't be surprised if she remains because people forget to replace positions that actually matter and only focus on the "important seats".

• Like 3

Harris County is now pretty much a "votes blue no matter who" county, even without having a straight ticket button at the polls.  Hidalgo is very popular among Dems, with many hoping that she runs for congress or governor some day.  The fact that the Texas Rangers conducted a raid as part of this investigation pretty much shows that this is being driven by Austin.  Harris County DA has been willing to run with this because they know that it will more than likely be dismissed by a Harris County district court.  If there was really something there, the Feds would have gone after it.  

• Like 2

This editorial from the Chronicle last week makes it seem there's a great likelihood this was all a political hit job, which should surprise . . . nobody, considering Harris County is enemy number 1.  With criminal Ken Paxton at the helm, I sure as hell wouldn't put anything past him.   

But let the process work itself out, I guess.

Editorial: Did Texas Rangers miss a key fact in probe of Lina Hidalgo’s office? (houstonchronicle.com)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, s3mh said:

Harris County is now pretty much a "votes blue no matter who" county, even without having a straight ticket button at the polls.  Hidalgo is very popular among Dems, with many hoping that she runs for congress or governor some day.  The fact that the Texas Rangers conducted a raid as part of this investigation pretty much shows that this is being driven by Austin.  Harris County DA has been willing to run with this because they know that it will more than likely be dismissed by a Harris County district court.  If there was really something there, the Feds would have gone after it.  

I can agree to a point. The last election overall saw a swing in suburbs from one party to another. It stands to believe, if one believes the latest polls and general trends, that suburbs potentially will swing the other way. The Dems definitely have a stranglehold on anything within 610. Outside of that is where things get a bit fishy. Remember I'm no Republican or Democract, but looking at trends from last election Republicans are growing minorities, especially among new asian immigrants and Latinos (look at counties like Zapata for reference). Harris County being blue no matter who is not a done deal, not when Houston is atypical of a bunch of American cities where a substantial portion of the county is still suburbs which traditionally have been a Republican stronghold. We will know this upcoming election if 2020 was an outlier, or the start of a new trend. Even the latest polling on left leaning sites show Republican surges in nearly all key demographics with the only lagging demographic being white college educated women. Thats it. Everywhere else the R's have made substantial gains. While Hidalgo might be saved by just having a D in front of her name, or popular with the Progressive wing on the party, if Progressives and their policies are losing in popularity country wide then it stands to believe that Houston will see a major reversal. I don't see Houston being one that bucks current trends. In fact I see Houston as being one which heavily reinforces trends. Again we will have to see. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Edited by Luminare

On 4/13/2022 at 10:58 AM, s3mh said:

Considering that Hidalgo had been eyeing the TX Governor's Mansion in 2026. The raid by the Texas Rangers, DPS, etc., tells me her political career is OVER & I think whoever is the GOP nominee by May 24th (Mealer or Martinez) will almost certainly be the next Harris County Judge on November 8th due to 2022 being a GOP wave year & using the playbook of VA Governor Glenn Youngkin (R), whom I see as a future President.

On 4/13/2022 at 10:58 AM, s3mh said:

Would the Feds have jurisdiction over an essentially local matter like this in preference to the State, which oversees local and state officials?  And if they did, does anyone really believe that the Biden administration DOJ would pursue this against a rising star in the Democratic party unless they were forced to?  Absence of Fed interest doesn't indicate anything.

52 minutes ago, Blue Dogs said:

Considering that Hidalgo had been eyeing the TX Governor's Mansion in 2026. The raid by the Texas Rangers, DPS, etc., tells me her political career is OVER & I think whoever is the GOP nominee by May 24th (Mealer or Martinez) will almost certainly be the next Harris County Judge on November 8th due to 2022 being a GOP wave year & using the playbook of VA Governor Glenn Youngkin (R), whom I see as a future President.

I doubt this will sink her career.  She hasn't been indicted, only her aides.  Plus she's young enough to ride out whatever storm it causes (which doesn't look like much of one at the moment).  Given how much the Democrats have messed up, though, there's at least a fair chance she'll be unemployed by the coming red wave.  If so, look for her to pop up as a Democratic party operative a la Stacey Abrams while she waits for her next opportunity.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, august948 said:

I doubt this will sink her career.  She hasn't been indicted, only her aides.  Plus she's young enough to ride out whatever storm it causes (which doesn't look like much of one at the moment).  Given how much the Democrats have messed up, though, there's at least a fair chance she'll be unemployed by the coming red wave.  If so, look for her to pop up as a Democratic party operative a la Stacey Abrams while she waits for her next opportunity.

There could be more who might get indicted if this escalates.

I should note the Houston Police Officers Union, Houston Firefighters Union & others have backed Mealer.

Edited by Blue Dogs
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Blue Dogs said:

I should note the Houston Police Officers Union, Houston Firefighters Union & others have backed Mealer.

Hey @Blue Dogs, as one so concerned with indictments for people up for reelection, what say you in re Ken Paxton? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mattyt36 said:

Hey @Blue Dogs, as one so concerned with indictments for people up for reelection, what say you in re Ken Paxton? 

Go Ken?

25 minutes ago, Blue Dogs said:

Did they say why?  One of Hidalgo's future opportunities would be mayor.  Curious what their opposition to her is.

2 hours ago, Blue Dogs said:

It's amazing to me how the R's hate unions except for police and fire, which are unions that should be banned. I'll be voting for Hidalgo this fall. I won' tbe voting for any Republican candidate until the party as a whole denounces Trump and selects some candidates who are not certifiably insane.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ross said:

It's amazing to me how the R's hate unions except for police and fire, which are unions that should be banned. I'll be voting for Hidalgo this fall. I won' tbe voting for any Republican candidate until the party as a whole denounces Trump and selects some candidates who are not certifiably insane.

Hopefully they also won't nominate some candidates who are certifiably senile...

st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

23 hours ago, august948 said:

Go Ken?

Did they say why?  One of Hidalgo's future opportunities would be mayor.  Curious what their opposition to her is.

I've never understood the Paxton hate. He's probably one of the more milktoast Republicans out there. Oh no Ken filed an Amici brief with a bunch of other states in opposition to a president he doesn't like....oh noooo what a monster! Seriously people put way to much emotion into politics without understand what really moves politics. The only time emotion works is in getting out the vote...period. Other than that it just gets in the way or backfires. If Paxton runs for reelection he wins easy.

I wouldn't put it past Hidalgo to run for mayor, but she is about a decade away from even accumulating the political tools, cash reserves, and power needed to even persuade the democrat establishment to support her, and I just think she is way to progressive to make it in Houston. That's just me though. I've stated in another thread before why I thought Turner has been a great mayor and its because of Turners overall pragmatic approach to city government, the general party divided in the city, and politics as a whole. Hidalgo hasn't yet exhibited any ability to pivot, reach across the aisle, or assure that business interests can trust her judgement.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Luminare said:

I've never understood the Paxton hate. He's probably one of the more milktoast Republicans out there. Oh no Ken filed an Amici brief with a bunch of other states in opposition to a president he doesn't like....oh noooo what a monster! Seriously people put way to much emotion into politics without understand what really moves politics. The only time emotion works is in getting out the vote...period. Other than that it just gets in the way or backfires. If Paxton runs for reelection he wins easy.

I wouldn't put it past Hidalgo to run for mayor, but she is about a decade away from even accumulating the political tools, cash reserves, and power needed to even persuade the democrat establishment to support her, and I just think she is way to progressive to make it in Houston. That's just me though. I've stated in another thread before why I thought Turner has been a great mayor and its because of Turners overall pragmatic approach to city government, the general party divided in the city, and politics as a whole. Hidalgo hasn't yet exhibited any ability to pivot, reach across the aisle, or assure that business interests can trust her judgement.

First off, it’s milquetoast, so work harder.

Second, just read what you wrote. “Oh no, a amicus brief in support of overturning an election, what could possibly go wrong, conduct totally becoming of the CHIEF LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER OF THE STATE OF TEXAS.”

Third, you left out a hell of a lot. I seriously don’t know if that is intentional, because you just don’t know on a factual basis, or you know on a factual basis but somehow think that’s inconsequential and “all in a day’s work.”

Fourth, if you’re younger than I am and the above passes for any sort of analysis when it comes to voting choices, God help us. 

55 minutes ago, mattyt36 said:

First off, it’s milquetoast, so work harder.

Second, just read what you wrote. “Oh no, a amicus brief in support of overturning an election, what could possibly go wrong, conduct totally becoming of the CHIEF LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER OF THE STATE OF TEXAS.”

Third, you left out a hell of a lot. I seriously don’t know if that is intentional, because you just don’t know on a factual basis, or you know on a factual basis but somehow think that’s inconsequential and “all in a day’s work.”

Fourth, if you’re younger than I am and the above passes for any sort of analysis when it comes to voting choices, God help us. 

I believe that was a lawsuit by Texas and the amicus briefs were filed by the attorney generals of 17 other states.  Not sure why that would be surprising after four years of constant legal challenges, in one form or another, to the 2016 elections.  Challenging the other party by contorted legal means has become de rigueur in recent decades and shouldn't be particularly surprising.  You might say it's become a new checks and balances procedure in our political system.  It certainly has added to our political theater.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, august948 said:

I believe that was a lawsuit by Texas and the amicus briefs were filed by the attorney generals of 17 other states.  Not sure why that would be surprising after four years of constant legal challenges, in one form or another, to the 2016 elections.  Challenging the other party by contorted legal means has become de rigueur in recent decades and shouldn't be particularly surprising.  You might say it's become a new checks and balances procedure in our political system.  It certainly has added to our political theater.

Augie, brother

FIRST you are accurate. It was filed by the State of Texas on and behalf of its citizens, which should be an absolute embarrassment to any real Texan

And the 

SECOND, the “de riguer” which you describe is a political creation, perpetrated by one political party

And the

THIRD

We are TEXANS, and when we have benchmarked ourselves against loser Attorney Generals from lesser states that is an admission that we have lost

42 minutes ago, mattyt36 said:

Augie, brother

FIRST you are accurate. It was filed by the State of Texas on and behalf of its citizens, which should be an absolute embarrassment to any real Texan

And the 

SECOND, the “de riguer” which you describe is a political creation, perpetrated by one political party

And the

THIRD

We are TEXANS, and when we have benchmarked ourselves against loser Attorney Generals from lesser states that is an admission that we have lost

On the first point, Texans have twice taken up arms against their sovereign overlords.  It would be most un-Texan for state officials to not challenge other states and the federal government.  Any real Texan would be embarrassed if they didn't.

I think you need to take a closer look at the second point if you think this is just the habit of the Republican party.  Need we enumerate all the legal challenges put forth against President Trump?

Fear not on the third point.  I believe it was the 17 attorneys general who benchmarked themselves against Texas by filing briefs supporting the suit brought by Texas.  Perhaps it was the other states who did not join the suit who benchmarked themselves against Texas and found themselves lacking.  As always, we lead not follow.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, august948 said:

On the first point, Texans have twice taken up arms against their sovereign overlords.  It would be most un-Texan for state officials to not challenge other states and the federal government.  Any real Texan would be embarrassed if they didn't.

I think you need to take a closer look at the second point if you think this is just the habit of the Republican party.  Need we enumerate all the legal challenges put forth against President Trump?

Fear not on the third point.  I believe it was the 17 attorneys general who benchmarked themselves against Texas by filing briefs supporting the suit brought by Texas.  Perhaps it was the other states who did not join the suit who benchmarked themselves against Texas and found themselves lacking.  As always, we lead not follow.

A,

Consider (1) the circumstances under which the suit was filed.  At best, it was based on a "hunch."  At worst, well, it is what it was, so to speak--a cynical ploy to overturn a democratic election and, at the end of the day, our entire system of government.

Consider (2) the merits of the case.  I mean, not even good enough for anyone but Clarence Thomas.

If you think that is anything to be proud of, well, I'd call you an ideologue.  Cuz you're rooting for the Rs as if it's a sports team.  (At least they score more runs than the Astros.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2022 at 4:44 PM, mattyt36 said:

That would be my guess! 

Paxton's likely to crush George P in next month's runoff. Big question is whether the TX Dems will put all of their energies into helping Rochelle Garza (D) in the fall.

39 minutes ago, Blue Dogs said:

Paxton's likely to crush George P in next month's runoff. Big question is whether the TX Dems will put all of their energies into helping Rochelle Garza (D) in the fall.

So, in other words, indicted individuals (nevermind associates of indicted individuals) holding political office is A-OK with Bluey the Big Red Dog. 

Color me … not surprised. 

2 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

So, in other words, indicted individuals (nevermind associates of indicted individuals) holding political office is A-OK with Bluey the Big Red Dog. 

Color me … not surprised. 

This is why we have the legal principle that someone is innocent until convicted by a jury.  Can you imagine what would happen to our democracy if accusations alone could ban people from political office?

6 minutes ago, august948 said:

This is why we have the legal principle that someone is innocent until convicted by a jury.  Can you imagine what would happen to our democracy if accusations alone could ban people from political office?

Agree.  Good thing we have one.  

Republicans have their knives out for Hidalgo. They can't stand an educated Latina beat a white Republican for office and are doing everything they can to slam and smear her. I like her, voted for her and will vote for her again despite their attempts to slander her.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/republicans-harris-county-judge-lina-hidalgo/

• Like 7

7 hours ago, hindesky said:

Republicans have their knives out for Hidalgo. They can't stand an educated Latina beat a white Republican for office and are doing everything they can to slam and smear her. I like her, voted for her and will vote for her again despite their attempts to slander her.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/republicans-harris-county-judge-lina-hidalgo/

Those same Republicans also despise Hidalgo for having the temerity to address problems in parts of the County not populated by well to do White folks. In their mind, the poor deserve to be poor, and we should not spend one dime on their streets, on crime in those areas, or on anything else, because it might possibly reduce the benefits the more deserving well to do  R voters are getting. For the terminally  clueless, that's sarcasm.

I'll be voting for Hidalgo this year.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, hindesky said:

Oh great, on one hand we have a potential County Judge touting his endorsement by the My Pillow guy and the infamous Steve Hotze, on the other hand we have whack-job Man Hands Mealer.  But that's what Republican primary voters want.

If they ran Ed Emmett again, he'd probably have a great chance of winning.

Of course if Lina didn't seem so out of touch this wouldn't be such a competitive race to begin with.  I wonder what Sylvester thinks of her.

37 minutes ago, mattyt36 said:

Oh great, on one hand we have a potential County Judge touting his endorsement by the My Pillow guy and the infamous Steve Hotze, on the other hand we have whack-job Man Hands Mealer.  But that's what Republican primary voters want.

If they ran Ed Emmett again, he'd probably have a great chance of winning.

Of course if Lina didn't seem so out of touch this wouldn't be such a competitive race to begin with.  I wonder what Sylvester thinks of her.

There's no question that Lina is easy on the eyes...but what is up with the hand obsession?

• Haha 1