Post Oak Plaza Shopping Center At 1703-1751 Post Oak Blvd.

It's true, Houston does lead the country in philanthropy, hands down. With all the fortune 500 compaines and oil money, how can it not? Unfortunately just because you have all the money in the world doesn't mean you know a good painting from a piece of garbage. It's partly what I was trying to touch on before, you can't buy class. Or taste for that matter.

For a good explanation of this (and a rather interesting view on Texas in general) read John Steinbeck's "Travel's with Charley, In Search of America".

Oh, and I forgot something. If you happen to know one of these philanthropists, have them throw some money the Public Library's way. They could certainly use it.

I saw a rendition of their upcoming (hopeful) remodel, and it included a Library Cafe. Never a good sign when a Public Library has to turn to selling coffee to fund itself. I judge cities by their libraries.

• 1 month later...

I like Cafe Lili on westheimer and Bering. It is a little stripmallish but great food and wine.

For better ambience Id go to Garson's on Hillcroft. Its one of my favorite places for a more upscale lunch. The chicken laforet is to die for.... creamy dill rice, grill chicken in a sherry and crawfish sauce. They have definate french undertones but its middle eastern.

Kasra at westheimer and gessner is ok too. Its next to that new Yao chinese restaurant that our local Rocket is building. Cant wait for that place to open.

I'm sure someone would say Fadi's but it is more cafeteria style.. so that kind of kills ambiance.

http://www.b4-u-eat.com/ is a great resource.

I like Cafe Lili on westheimer and Bering. It is a little stripmallish but great food and wine.

For better ambience Id go to Garson's on Hillcroft. Its one of my favorite places for a more upscale lunch. The chicken laforet is to die for.... creamy dill rice, grill chicken in a sherry and crawfish sauce. They have definate french undertones but its middle eastern.

Kasra at westheimer and gessner is ok too. Its next to that new Yao chinese restaurant that our local Rocket is building. Cant wait for that place to open.

I'm sure someone would say Fadi's but it is more cafeteria style.. so that kind of kills ambiance.

http://www.b4-u-eat.com/ is a great resource.

Thanks LowBrow! I am kinda surprised that there is an upscale restaurant on Hillcroft! Someone recommended Kasra too. I guess that, for me, food comes first and then the ambiance. I just dont want to end up in a really rundown place. As long as the sitting is decent, I am ok with that. Thanks again for the quick response!

Sure thing. Garson's is definately a diamond in the rough.  Its next to that Tony's Flying Pizza ... which is actually decent itself.

Just went to Kasra since it's closest to where I live. The ambiance is elegant enough. However, I found the food to be a bit bland for my taste. Also, I think the portions are a bit small. I would try Fadi's and Garson as well. By the way, the parking lot in that retail center is huge! I am not sure if they need that much parking but oh well! Houston got too much parking space all around.

Yeah the parking lot area over by the bar-b-q place is so under-utilized. The parking lot looks as if a big box store was supposed to occupy that spot but instead its all little shops, a few restaurants and a video store. BTW that tuesday morning store there is a great place to buy all kinds of weird odds and ends. I bought my daughter her vanity there.

I eat at Kasra about once a week due to its convienence to my office. I usually get the lamb shank but most everyone else I know gets the shishleek.. which is very good.

Read the reviews on Garsons and you may be hooked. Fadi's is a houston favorite but I'd call it mediterranean rather than middle eastern... I know people blur the lines on any place that serves hummus. :)

The shopping center where Kasra is located used to have a Kroger in the large anchor space at the south end of the center. There was also a movie theater there originally, where Tuesday Morning is now. Hence, the huge parking lot for what's now just a collection of relatively small shops.

I haven't eaten at Kasra - can't believe I missed it in all the years I was working a few blocks away at 3100 South Gessner! I'll have to try it and Garson sometime since I haven't visited either one yet.

I really like Fadi's on Westheimer. The food is always good when I'm in there but you're right, the cafeteria style service does kill the ambience a little.

• 3 weeks later...

Fadi's is my favorite, Garson is my 2nd fave. Very different, though--Fadi's is a Lebanese counter service place, while Garson is a swanky Persian sit-down place. Both are very nice inside and have wonderful food, but I find myself in Fadi's much more often--lots of fresh choices and not as fussy.

• 2 weeks later...

Skewers in the Greenway Plaza area is great too. Very overlooked. Cheap, Value, TASTY! its not luxurious or elegant but its great quality and full of flavor. From the tex-mex to the middle eastern dishes these owners and cooks definately has what it takes to create quality of foreign dishes within the greenway area.

My opinion.

Quick note:::: The new Droubi's in Sugar Land is great. Great selection of different flavoured humus. YES...variety! The beef shwarma cooked spicy tastes way better at this cheap eats as compared to the other Droubi locations.

Cafe Complique is another one as well for cheap-eats mediteranean-middle eastern. These restaurants really dont offer the total ambient, middle-eastern feel but that wasnt the intention. Only to offer what they know how to make without the decor for a fraction of the cost which our city among others capitalize on versus the same dish served dirt cheap overseas. Hope that makes sense :)

Are you talking about the Droubi's by the Half Price bookstore? Or, is there a location I have not heard of?

• 1 month later...

Bangkok Place! A post-Easter visit had the lunch buffet at BP on my must list, having last been there in mid-August 2004. At $7.95, the buffet provides amost everything available at our

best (my opinion!) Thai restaurants in Lubbock---giving you a sample of the several near-$10 meals which would cover their menus.

Lunch on April 5 started with one of the two soups. With the first sparkle of lemon grass, I knew that Bangkok Place had changed since August 2004 -- yes, indeed! a new owner and a new chef

took the helm in September.

Those 'sparkle' feelings continued through the entire meal. I'll be back at least by mid-June.

It's not that I don't love my Houston relatives, but thoughts of the luncheon buffet at Bangkok Place would trigger another 1100 mile round-trip!

david payne, Lubbock

Guest Professional Hornblower
Casa Manhatthan changed owners last week.  I don't know if anyone has stopped by, but it is now called the Thristy Cactus.  I believe it is owned by one of the guys from Mercury Room.

I thought they were changing it the name to "Long Island House of Tacos"?

I'm confused

Am I mistaken? I seriously read an article in the Houston Business Journal written by Nancy Sarnoff. She said they were going to call it "Long Island House of Tacos"

Down the road it may become "hip" to merely call it "LIHT"

But I don't know...we'll see...

If you get the Enchilada plate, it comes with refritos and a Long Island Iced Tea or margarita. Kinda strange. But I think it will work in the location (since we're a 'land-locked' island).

Am I mistaken?  I seriously read an article in the Houston Business Journal written by Nancy Sarnoff.  She said they were going to call it "Long Island House of Tacos"

Down the road it may become "hip" to merely call it "LIHT"

But I don't know...we'll see...

If you get the Enchilada plate, it comes with refritos and a Long Island Iced Tea or margarita.  Kinda strange.  But I think it will work in the location  (since we're a 'land-locked' island).

Except you don't want to become known as LIHT when Light Bar and Lounge is opening two blocks away. It's nickname is THE CACTUS.

Except you don't want to become known as LIHT when Light Bar and Lounge is opening two blocks away.  It's nickname is THE CACTUS.

Yeah that's it! It's supposed to be called "Long Island Great Houston of Taco's"

They want to call it LIGHT down the road. I think they may be trying to steal some thunder from that other place.

:o

FYI - I doubt the Houston Business Journal wrote about the change.  Nobody outside of the two groups knew about until 2-3 weeks before the sale on April 18th.  And the name has always been the Thristy Cactus.  Also, Light has been announced along time ago.  Finally, no place was going to be called Long Island.....that I know of.

I think Hornblower was joking. Besides Sarnoff works for the Chornicle now. Her columns still stink.

FYI - I doubt the Houston Business Journal wrote about the change.  Nobody outside of the two groups knew about until 2-3 weeks before the sale on April 18th.  And the name has always been the Thristy Cactus.  Also, Light has been announced along time ago.  Finally, no place was going to be called Long Island.....that I know of.

calm down bro, it's a joke.

Oh by the way I don't reccommend the "Thirsty Cactus".

As I had anticipated, all they really did was shake things up and add $2 to the cost of each lunch entree. The food is pretty much the same but not completely (not as good as Manhattan). The $2 difference makes this place not worth it, whereas Casa Manhattan was a bargain.

They added patio tables outside and now have operable windows which is nice. They took out the "huge wall" as one of my friends would say that was inside, opening it up a bit more so that the eating area meshes with the bar.

They also play cheesy music now. All in all, it was OK. The service wasn't as good now either. Looks like they're going for more of a twilight margarita drinking venue, instead of a place for mid-towners to meet for lunch.

Me? Probably won't go back. Sorry. I can't say I didn't give them a chance to win my professional-hornblowing heart over.

-The man who "polishes his horn" wayyyyy too much.

• 2 months later...

OK, I'm in a panic here. Is Telephone Thai/Kanowoman still open? I drove there Saturday with a friend for lunch and it was closed. I read at one point that they were going to move to another location, but there was no sign on the premises saying if that was the case.

This is serious....the end of life as we know it.

danax, you live near there. Is Khanamwon still open?

EDIT: Now that I think about it, Coog is right. The owner would close for a month or so to visit home or something. I thought it was in the summer. Did the place look empty or just closed?