Post Oak Plaza Shopping Center At 1703-1751 Post Oak Blvd.

I'm sorry. I don't want to be an ass, but am I the only one that thinks these threads get way off topic or have no type of relevance of what is going on in Houston? I visit the Dallas forum sometimes, and they talk about city issues, construction, and things that actually have relevance in a city forum. I don't know, I just see a lack of that here. I know I am kind of a newbie here, and I do not want to be a party pooper, but threads like these are all I have been seeing since I have registered.

What was the point of posting the view of downtown Houston in this thread?  Some of these threads are just kind of random in my opinion.

He does that at SSC, too!

I'm sorry.  I don't want to be an ass, but am I the only one that thinks these threads get way off topic or have no type of relevance of what is going on in Houston?  I visit the Dallas forum sometimes, and they talk about city issues, construction, and things that actually have relevance in a city forum.  I don't know, I just see a lack of that here.  I know I am kind of a newbie here, and I do not want to be a party pooper, but threads like these are all I have been seeing since I have registered.

We're all guilty of it sometimes, but I understand that it can be annoying when a lot of threads get off-topic. It's sometimes hard to strike a balance between letting things wander and being so restrictive that members lose interest. If things seem out of hand, you can always bring it back to topic or PM a moderator. Thanks.

Subdude

I think anything that gets/keeps people talking is good. And to be talking about culture and class seems perfectly relevant to the health of a city. I'm not trying to rag on you for saying this is off-topic, but if you have a problem with it, then start something on-topic that people will talk about.

The Galleria/Uptown is a major benchmark of the city in terms of the upper upper class. I could care less about those people or their money but I do want Houston to have a good image. And I want it to have a super good image for the super rich. (Most of whom are just "stopping by", staying at the Derek) Unfortunately in order to perfect the image, the city is going to have to do something about the four lane traffic nightmare that is Westheimer through the center of it all.

They are. There is massive construction at I-610 & Westheimer. Once the 610 overpass is completed at Westheimer, they will expand Westheimer to suit. As for east of 610, there's simply no room to expand. Parcels are at the sidewalks edge all the way to Elgin. There's just nothing that can be done.

Glen

I meant more along the lines of rip the whole damn street up and put in a decent light rail system. Seriously, do we expect the super rich to have to cross Westheimer to get to Neiman Marcus from the Derek? Pshaw.

I know we disagreed on car traffic being prohibitive of a decent downtown area before, but if you don't see how four lanes or more of Westheimer through the center of an upscale area like the Galleria is just ruining it, then well, look harder or something.

I meant more along the lines of rip the whole damn street up and put in a decent light rail system. Seriously, do we expect the super rich to have to cross Westheimer to get to Neiman Marcus from the Derek? Pshaw.

Now, that's where the nice rides come in! :P

I hope this isn't too off-topic! :)

I see a lot being done to address traffic problems in that area right now... namely the improved ramps onto 610 at Westheimer, the opening of the Westpark Toll Road, connecting the 610 feeders through underneath 59, and widening other thoroughfares in the area.

I think also they are supposed to make Westheimer a "super street" with underpasses at 610 and Chimney Rock... and I've long heard about a plan to connect McCue north to San Felipe at Post Oak Lane...

Plus there's already a planned light rail extension to that area, with preliminary routes showing lines along Post Oak Blvd and Westpark...

My ultimate fantasy is a futuristic elavated monorail running down the center of Westheimer all the way from 610 to at least Westchase... I don't see that ever happening though. :angry:

I think also they are supposed to make Westheimer a "super street" with underpasses at 610 and Chimney Rock... and I've long heard about a plan to connect McCue north to San Felipe at Post Oak Lane...

I know people will cringe at the sound of this but I'm surpised this hasn't been talked about more or pushed in the past, especially with the success of similar projects on FM 1960 at SH 249 and I-45. The biggest contributor to traffic in Uptown is the poor light synchronization at Post Oak and at I-610, and especially at I610. If you adjust the lighting time for one you inexorably ruin it for the other.

The problem with building a "super street" on Westheimer @ 610 is a matter of space--unless you're talking about gutting the parking lot near Dillards and nixing the Shell station.

As for Westheimer @ Chimney Rock, I don't think it's necessary. The traffic volume isn't nearly as high.

What if they were to make Westheimer a double decker street?

One part would be halfway underground, and another would be halfway above ground....

Now, that's where the nice rides come in! :P

I've taken that ride in the hotel's complementary SUV limo. It's nice, but takes forever because the traffic isn't any better for the rich. Not that I'm rich. I was staying at Derek because the bathroom in my apartment was broken for the weekend, and they had a special.

My comment on the "Class" thing is that other cities have alot of "crass" mixed in with "class" aswell. I've always been impressed with Houston for its amount of philanthropy, which is what I think the true measure of ones upper class should be. If it were, Houston would be ranked number one, period.